Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US Open Indoor meet(1/28/11) start list

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
    1. If you read the articles at LetsRun.com, you'd know that what happened is that the Armory bought the Millrose name from the Millrose A.A. and then unilaterally decided to move the Millrose Games to the Armory after it had been in Madison Square garden for almost a century.
    I think pretty much everyone in the NYC T&F community knew this, particularly those who'd been involved with the Armory at some time in the past. But there's a much longer story there. That story consists in large part of USATF's anemic help to the Millrose organization in their long struggles to remain viable at MSG (and, let's face it, USATF won't remain viable there with under 6,000 people showing up - far fewer than for any Millrose Games), and the USATF's attitude towards the work being done at the Armory and, of course, the stupid shoe wars with their main sponsor.

Now the people in USATF who have been critical of Millrose A.A. for years, about the way they managed and organized their meet, the way they spent their money, etc., look pretty bad. It turns out that USATF can't even figure out how to promote a meet in NYC so that many of the actual track fans who live around here even know it's happening.

I wasn't a supporter of moving Millrose out of the Garden. But without more support from somebody, what other realistic choice was there? The fact is that the Garden was pretty much dead on Saturday night, and it sure didn't feel much like Millrose Games of the past, even the much-diminished ones of recent years. The meet organizers even decided to include very few of the high school and college events that had traditionally been one of the big draws to Millrose, and that would really get the crowd going.

The Armory though will be full and rocking in a couple of weeks, and USATF's ridiculously childish decision to hold an "f-u" meet in Arkansas on the same day won't have much effect there.

Comment

I agree that the meet won't survive in the long term with 6,000 attendance. However, 2013 with 12-months planning should be a better test than this year with a couple months advance work. In the meantime, at least they kept MSG track & field alive this year.

As for USATF's attitude toward the Armory, they actually held the national indoor championships there a decade ago but the elite athletes objected going back because of the lack of warm-up facilities. And if USATF were anti-Armory, I doubt they would have approved moving the national Hall Of Fame there.

As for more high school and college events, the colleges had already largely walked away from Millrose in recent years and the high schools cannot afford to be disloyal to the Armory.

Clearly, the U.S. Open has room to add two or three more track events next year even if the time schedule remains at three hours. They could easily add a youth event, a masters event, and maybe even a racewalk championship to add some variety. Maybe, they should even save the Colgate dash for the evening.

Comment

I'm not so sure the Colgate people are planning to run their event as part of the US Open. From what I heard, they may move the entire thing to the new indoor facility being constructed in Staten island in the near future. I do know there's no way they're going to the Armory. Bad blood.

Comment

There happens to be a nice 200m 5-lane flat track at the 14th Regiment Armory in Park Slope, Brooklyn, with an 8-lane straightaway that can be extended to 13 if you use the 5-lane stretch of the track. The only drawback is that (when last I checked) the place had room for only 1,000 seats or less in the upper area around the track.

The YMCA holds events at this armory. But what if they were able to bank the turns on this track? Either they can construct banked turns on the track, or rip out the turns and install a hydraulic system under the track (fat chance at a place like this, with such meager seating, since it would easily cost at least $1 million), like the Devaney Center track at the U. of Nebraska (one of 4 in this country and one of 8 worldwide), where the system can raise the flat turns.

There is nothing really wrong with having flat turns (if you consider Francena McCorory's rare HSR of 51.93 on a flat track, and the negligible improvement of distance performances). The track is good enough to hold minor meets; but the sooner they install banked turns, the more likely they will be able to draw many more track meets where attendance comes even closer to 1,000, if not a little more.

How many seats is the Staten Island facility slated to have? And if the Barclays Center floor is big enough for a 6-lane, 160m track, what say ye to the possibility that the Meadowlands Arena decides to dust off their spider-web-infested track and truck it all the way to Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn? Maybe there's a chance to revive the Vitalis Olympic Invitational (which was once held at the Garden before it moved to New Jersey), even if under a new name and/or new sponsor.

You are absolutely right. The more track facilities, the better. I would imagine that even the Armory Track Foundation at the 22nd Regiment Armory in Washington Heights would not object. I would even bet that they'd throw their support for more tracks at more armories and other facilities. It would certainly eliminate the burden they now have of cramming meets on top of one another at the 22nd Regiment Armory.

One thing is certain, though: The days of the 160y track are at an end. I really don't see how USATF can sustain what is essentially a charade at the Garden (though the straightaway sprints/hurdles and the mile made for a good meet), with the biggest meet in indoor track having finally moved uptown and to a 200m track? How many colleges still have 160y (145.45m) tracks? I do know that City College of New York has a 160y flat (no spikes) track, with 20y straightaways and 60y turns (the only size that will fit inside Nat Holman Gym, with their 60y dash running across the gym from one corner to the other). And if any schools still have oversized tracks (6 or 7 laps to the mile), they should keep them.

And by the way, the Kingsbridge Armory in the Bronx is looking to install a velodrome.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
            Like 26mi235 said earlier, I feel like her starts like that may not be legal.
            Wow, you mean the vaunted reaction time rule that we are told is absolutely necessary to ensure fair competition actually doesn't prevent VCB from catching a flyer?

Proving once again that the quest for precision in track and field is illusory.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta
              The only way for USATF and the Garden to become relevant again, as far as indoor track in the New York Metro area is concerned, is either to tear out enough of the lower seats to make room for a 200m track, or to demolish MSG IV and get started on building MSG V.

I hope the floor at Barclays Center in Brooklyn is big enough for a 200m track. If it is, that will be the next home of the Millrose.
              They are already reconstructing MSG, so they don't have to build a new one (real estate is rather scarce in NYC, and the current one was only built because they freed up some land by doing a redevelopment of Penn Station when the Pennsylvania Railroad was cash-strapped in the late-1960's); the floor plan is going to be similar, so don't expect any 200 meter tracks.

More generally, very few basketball/hockey facilities in the US can accommodate 200 meter tracks, because modern arenas are usually designed to have permanent seating as close to the floor as possible, so that the expensive seats do not feel "cheap"; this cuts way down on the room for a track. Older arenas had large expanses of temporary seating surrounding the basketball floor and hockey rink, which could be removed to put in a track. (For instance, you can easily fit a 200 meter track in the Long Beach Arena (Ron Davies built a fast one for the Muhammad Ali meets 30 years ago), but you can barely fit a 160 yard track in Staples Center.)

Comment

To charge not more than US$100 per person, per night for full board accommodation in twin rooms for non-quota athletes and officials for a maximum of five nights

is there any hotel in ny city less than 100 $ a night, doubt it !

Comment

Originally posted by tm71
                  To charge not more than US$100 per person, per night for full board accommodation in twin rooms for non-quota athletes and officials for a maximum of five nights

is there any hotel in ny city less than 100 $ a night, doubt it !
                  There's a nice Country Inn and Suites in Queens. Short walk to the subway and a 10 minute ride to Times Square, maybe 15 to MSG. $79/night this time of year.

Comment

Working...
                  X