• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Respected Trackstar

In no order: JJK,Shorter, Ryun

Comment

I'd probably put Rafer Johnson ahead of Shorter or Ryun. Can't recall hearing anything but positve remarks about the guy. Also like Snell and Ashford.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
        Evelyn Ashford
        And my #1 favorite. ESPN and NBC/Universal need to call her out of retirement to call the sprints/hurdles for the U.S. television viewers at the Diamond League and the Olympics.

If I had to make a choice for one who is running today, I'd probably go deep into left field and pick Yohan Blake. Long time since I saw such raw honesty in a post-race interview, and his interviews seemed to be the most honest, after his World Champs 100 victory and after his 19.26.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          In no order: JJK,Shorter, Ryun
          Worthy in this context and high in my 'top-20' list (including my #1).

Comment

I can think of a lot of names -- depends on how one defines it of course -- but the first name that comes to mind almost always is Frank Shorter. I suppose there are others I respect as much, but none more than him. (And, were I to specify "Fieldstar" the first name that comes to mind at the moment is Dwight Stones.)

Comment

Billy Mills and David Rudisha.

Comment

Many many athletes come in mind but I just wanted to share/remind you of an incident that made me think at the time how much that person was respected and admired... I am talking about Frank Fredericks.

Picture it... Athens, Olympics 2004, 200m final. 80,000 crazy Greeks (myself included) were booing the finalists for 10 something minutes because what's his name was not in the final (the fellow greek dude who didn't pee in the bottle one day before the opening ceremony).

It was only when Mr Fredericks lifted his arms and asked the crowd to be quite and respectful to the athletes that the people finally started to calm down. It was like... shoot...there is a Frankie Fredericks for the name of it in the race...how rude and un-respectful have we been...

Comment

Seb Coe, Kip Keino

Comment

Forrest Gump, Babe Levy (Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man).

Comment

Working...
                    X