Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how could we create more awareness in the USA track ?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how could we create more awareness in the USA track ?

how could someone create more excitement about track in the US

Re: how could we create more awareness in the USA track ?

Hey, good question, there are only about fifty threads devoted to this topic

Comment

As we have discussed previously, that would be Mr. Masback's job to coordinate. There must be a collaboration among many elements within USATF, to include the NFHS, NCAA, USOC, meet directors and others to pool resources and 'hype' T&F the way the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. does. I don't see it happening. It may simply be a lack of resources.

Comment

There was a push by New York's One Club (an Advertising Club). They publish a highly regarded advertising annual every year. And every year they hold a advertising student competition. A few years ago the assignment was just that, promote track and field. As an ad guy myself I saw a lot of decent work...I did not have a T&FN subscription at the time...not sure if anyone outside of the ad community saw the work...

Comment

>As we have discussed previously, that would be Mr. Masback's job to coordinate.
          >There must be a collaboration among many elements within USATF, to include the
          >NFHS, NCAA, USOC, meet directors and others to pool resources and 'hype' T&F
          >the way the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. does. I don't see it happening. It may simply
          >be a lack of resources.>>

"Pooling resources" in track and field would make a puddle barely enough in which to get your feet wet.

Comment

Let's figure out how to get Track athletes, Tennis player and Golfer money where down to the 50th person worldwide in every event can make a decent living at it. Of course just about anyone can swing a tennis racket or a golf club, thus identifying with the pros on some level and thus buy the same equipment. Most people don't go out on a Saturday morning and high jump with their mates. Another factor is that when you goto a Basketball game you see Shaq play for the whole game, give or take. When you go to a track meet you might see Mo Greene for 10 seconds give or take. You need to have lots of stars that people know about in each event.
            Thids is a huge problem and I have to go teach school. Later!

Comment

Make track meets entertaining with some of the little extras one finds at, for example, baseball games to keep fans interested and attentive. There are a number of conceptual ideas which are on the tables - and being drawn up, discussed, debated, dissected and delivered to the not only national powers that be (but IAAF committees as well) to provide athletics as an appealing, interesting, entertaining and fan-friendly sport.

Win the fans. That is what worked for Maximus.

Comment

its sometimes hard for me to believe that there isn't already awareness.. i mean, more kids in high school compete in track than anything else. even the most elite athletes in schools often do one or the other of the track seasons. there's a lot of fan and parent and school interest in high school competitions. does it start to tail off in college? or is it just that most people graduate and never think about it much after that since there is not much real professional coverage nationwide..

Comment

I agree that something needs to be done at the actual meets. Heck, I'm a huge track fan, but I find it hard to convince friends that track is interesting to watch. Double heck, I'd rather watch Slam Ball on Spike network than a poorly televised Big 12 finals on TV 2 weeks after reading the results in the morning paper...

If the meets aren't made entertaining....well, between that and drugs...we're screwed.

Comment

IAAF broadcast 12-May:

On-tap:

IAAF President - Lamine Diack

Wilfried Meert - Spokesman of the TDK Golden League Meetings

Sergey Bubka - Pole Vault legend

Christian Olsson - Triple Jump World Champion - TDK Jackpot contender

Wilson Kipketer - 800m World Record holder and double Jackpot winner - TDK Jackpot contender

Kim Gevaert - Brussels Memorial Van Damme Ambassador - TDK Jackpot contender

Kajsa Bergqvist - European and former World Indoor High Jump Champion - TDK Jackpot contender

PLUS - Marion Jones, Maria Mutola, Gail Devers and teenage sprint sensation Usain Bolt

Comment

<none>

Comment

Re: <none>

IAAF broadcast of what, who, where?

is this something that gets shown in the US? is it a meeting?

i have no idea what you're referring to..

Comment

Re: <none>

http://www.athletix.tv/

Will be televising a conference on Wednesday. Watch for Golden League meet broadcasts as well as the Olympics and World Junior Championships, to name a few.

Comment

Have you guys seen the most recent Tropicana orange juice commercial. An orange pole vaults using a straw, the crowd of oranges goes wild. It's cute.

Comment

Broadcast originally noted in this thread:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... sage=53344

Comment

Working...
                              X