Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone notice Gunnar Nixon broke the world jr Hep record??

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone notice Gunnar Nixon broke the world jr Hep record??

not to mention having the best mark in the world so far? 6022.

He won't be going to London but look out in 4 years.

Re: Anyone notice Gunnar Nixon broke the world jr Hep record

Nixon is an amazing athlete and breaking 6,000 points is also amazing. If Gunnar stays healthy, he shouldn't have a problem making the U.S. team to Rio in four years.

Comment

The only weakness he may have is pure speed. He won't be able to run with Hardee or Eaton. He will also need to fix his PV(but that is doable).

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
        It's not a world-leading mark. Oleksiy Kasyanov has scored 6237, Andrei Kravchenko has scored 6205.

Comment

Sadly, apparently, the local newspaper did not notice. I searched in vain for some mention.
          I have a grandson sophomore at Edmond North (Nixon's HS). He says the kids at EN did/do not realize they had a national class athlete in their midst last year. Grandson is big into basketball and soccer at EN and even he was not aware of Nixon until I told him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
            It's not a world-leading mark. Oleksiy Kasyanov has scored 6237, Andrei Kravchenko has scored 6205.

It was the top mark per the iaaf.org site when I checked a couple hours ago. However, this being an Olympic year, I would expect to see some serious performances start to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
              Yes it is a World leading mark, do your research, Nixon is a junior 19 years old, Kraucheuka was born 4-1-85 he is 26 years old. Nixon broke the World Junior record. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                Sadly, apparently, the local newspaper did not notice. I searched in vain for some mention.
                I have a grandson sophomore at Edmond North (Nixon's HS). He says the kids at EN did/do not realize they had a national class athlete in their midst last year. Grandson is big into basketball and soccer at EN and even he was not aware of Nixon until I told him.
                Interesting, Gunnar Nixon attended Edmond Sante Fe HS for three years not Edmond North, also below is the link to the Daily Oklahoman article that talks about Nixon record that was posted online Sunday Jan 29th. http://newsok.com/article/3644522

Comment

Originally posted by Firststrike
                  Originally posted by Jon
                  Yes it is a World leading mark, do your research, Nixon is a junior 19 years old, Kraucheuka was born 4-1-85 he is 26 years old. Nixon broke the World Junior record. :wink:
                  When I posted the first comment, iaaf.org was showing Nixon as having the top mark. Over the course of the day, iaaf.org people got caught up and included Mr. Kasyanov's mark. The topic of the discussion indicated that this was the Jr. World Record.

Comment

The only weakness he may have is pure speed. He won't be able to run with Hardee or Eaton. He will also need to fix his PV(but that is doable).
                    Well Dave yes you are correct at the young age of 19 which Nixon just truned in Jan, he does not have the speed that Eaton and Hardee have now, that they have developed over the past few years after college training and in Hardee's case college and Pro training, Eaton has graduated college and is now 24 year old, Hardee is 28 years old, actually at his age he really has no weakness in his events, he holds every HS multi event record and now after turning 19 in Jan as a true freshman in his first college multi event he broke the World Junior hep record. Hardee's hepththlon PR 5859 at age 21 at a meet in Fayetteville AR, Nixon last week at age 19, 6022 pts.
                    Hardee's 110H PR at age 21 14.09........ Nixon at age 18 over the 42" hurdles when he broke the college imp HS record ran a 14.39 not too far off Hardee at age 21. Nixon's 100m PR 10.89, 400M PR 48.37 both during his senior year in HS, he will get faster with age and training.
                    Yes he needs to improve on his PV which he will under the Arkansas coaching staff this season and in the coming college years, he will get faster and throw further and jump higher, by 2016 and the Rio games he will be where he needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                      When I posted the first comment, iaaf.org was showing Nixon as having the top mark. Over the course of the day, iaaf.org people got caught up and included Mr. Kasyanov's mark. The topic of the discussion indicated that this was the Jr. World Record.
                      Dave, I did not know they were showing Nixon's mark as the leading hep mark in the world rankings, I was just replying to Jon's remark that Nixon's mark was not a world leading mark, Nixon's is the World Jr. record not the world record, sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                        Interesting, Gunnar Nixon attended Edmond Sante Fe HS for three years not Edmond North, also below is the link to the Daily Oklahoman article that talks about Nixon record that was posted online Sunday Jan 29th. http://newsok.com/article/3644522
                        ops: Brain fart. You are right, of course. Dunno what I was (not) thinking. My grandson lives across the street from Edmond Santa Fe. I guess I missed the Daily Oklahoman blurb.
                        Carry on.

Comment

I'm glad this was posted. It's a startling performance. Nixon does have a chance to make the 2012 team. If one of the big three is not able to make it--not unlikely--there is a large group of solid, mostly young decathletes who will compete for a spot on the team. I'm not sure that any of the young group other than Nixon have broken 6000 in the heptathlon. I haven't looked it up. We'll know more when Nixon gets outdoors, but his progress with the senior hurdles and implements is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
                            I'm glad this was posted. It's a startling performance. Nixon does have a chance to make the 2012 team. If one of the big three is not able to make it--not unlikely--there is a large group of solid, mostly young decathletes who will compete for a spot on the team. I'm not sure that any of the young group other than Nixon have broken 6000 in the heptathlon. I haven't looked it up. We'll know more when Nixon gets outdoors, but his progress with the senior hurdles and implements is impressive.
                            I am looking forward to seeing what Curtis Beach has to show this winter. Anyone know when he has his first Hep?

Comment

Nice article on Nixon, being added to the Bowerman watch list also he was named USATF athlete of the week. I wish him the best of luck in the coming season and beyond.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewA ... EM_ID=6100

Comment

Working...
                              X