Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it right if a team forces its athletes to wear Adidas?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rabalac
    replied
    Re: Is it right if a team forces its athletes to wear Adidas

Originally posted by toyracer
    The entire Jamaican team is outfitted by sponsor Puma, and has been for years. As mentioned in the article, footwear during races isn't affected, and apparently as evidenced by the picture linked below it isn't mandated for podium appearances either.

http://www.global.tdk.com/news_center/i ... 110906.jpg

Bolt wore his Puma, Blake his Adidas, Frater & Carter their Nike. All wore the Puma uniform.
    Incidentally, just slightly off topic, when a "team" gets money for a relay victory, is the check split equally among the four/six runners on the relay squad, or does the country or track club also gets a piece of the action? Just curious.

Leave a comment:

• toyracer
    replied

The entire Jamaican team is outfitted by sponsor Puma, and has been for years. As mentioned in the article, footwear during races isn't affected, and apparently as evidenced by the picture linked below it isn't mandated for podium appearances either.

http://www.global.tdk.com/news_center/i ... 110906.jpg

Bolt wore his Puma, Blake his Adidas, Frater & Carter their Nike. All wore the Puma uniform.

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

I've noticed in the MMA the winner can't get that hat/shirt on fast enought with his sponsers name all over it, while the losers aren't as enthusiastic about it. Is it.....if you lose take your time we don't won't to be associated with losing......hmmm?

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

It may be a legitimate issue, with the individual sponsorship deals etc. But the statements of the agents quoted in the article are utterly ridiculous:
    their footwear is almost part of them
    enforcing the clause was becoming onerous and would distract athletes from their competitions
    Seriously? Athletes will not be able to focus on fighting for medals because their minds will be occupied by the thought of having to change shoes for the medal ceremony? Why don't they just say it's about money, rather than make up all these BS?

Leave a comment:

• preston
    replied

I know we think of shoes as "part" of the athlete, but that's in competition - we're talking about the medal ceremony; and, if that ceremony's "uniform" includes an adidas shoe, then the athlete should wear it. It's not technical! It may "violate" the signed agreement of an individual athlete but that athlete gave up that right to be an "individual" when they make their Olympic Team and subsequently sign away their rights.

The day is coming when the IOC will have to sell rights to the ceremonies themselves and it's going to look like a NASCAR victory ceremony with "Gatorade Victory Lane" - and that's going to cause problems for all of the Coca-cola athletes shilling for Powerade, Vitamin Water and Monster Energy.

The athletes can always boycott the Olympics and begin to knock the IOC off of its too high horse.

Leave a comment:

• rabalac
    replied

Forcing someone to wear the competitor's shoe makes no sense at all. Sometimes the lawyers of both sides of the issue are engaged in nothing more than a pissing contest. Assumine that Nike sponsors the US team again, and Tyson Gay is still with Adidas, what would happen if Gay tosses his Nikes into a trash can as soon as he leaves the podium? I know it sounds petty, but he is under no obligation to wear his nike shoes once the medal ceremony is over, is he?

Leave a comment:

• Smoke
    replied

This is not a new battle Flumpy, it has been raging for years, you will recall in 1992 there was a huge blow up when the Dream Team won gold and had to wear Reebok sweat suits on the podium. A few wore the flag over the Vector, including MJ and Magic.
    There has never been an enforcement of shoe wear on the podium, only in the ceremonies, so I am sure the podium deal got Nike's antenna up quickly. Shoe wars, gotta love them...

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied

I don't think the problem lies with the BOA who are right to enforce the terms of any contract they may have. It's the shoe companies that are being petty.

It says in the article that these rules have been in place for the last 2 Olympics without anyone complaining. Why is a fuss being made now?

Leave a comment:

• Is it right if a team forces its athletes to wear Adidas?

Good to see the British Olympic Association has its priorities straight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... rship.html
Working...
X