Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Been A Sub-4:00 in South Carolina?

Newspaper writer asked me that question and I couldn't answer it. Anybody here recall one? (by anybody, not necessarily a native/resident of the state)

Re: Ever Been A Sub-4:00 in South Carolina?

I'll do some digging on that, but I noticed that the state of Tennessee had one sub-4 miler listed in the current issue. I think the name was Whalen. Does anybody know anything about this guy? Was he born in Tennessee and raised elsewhere? The name doesn't ring a bell.

Comment

I know Wybo Lelieveld has the Clemson indoor mile record (3.59,20 - 1983), however I can not find the meet (i.e.: location) results.

Comment

Interesting tidbit

Anything wrong with this picture?

Event 19 Men 1 Mile Run
        ================================================== =====================
        NCAA PROV: R 3:14.70
        NCAA QUAL: R 4:00.10
        Clem Indoor: R 4:23.50 2003 Chris Batista, Winthrop
        Clem Rec: R 3:59.20 1983 Wybo Lelieveld, Clemson

2004 Clemson Invitational results.

You have to be a freak of nature to qualify provisionally, but an average elite to qualify automatic.

Comment

>Newspaper writer asked me that question and I couldn't answer it. Anybody here
          >recall one? (by anybody, not necessarily a native/resident of the state)

The real question(s) posed by your writer friend are "where did Wilson Waigwa run 3:58.3 on 6/12/76?" and "...Niall O'Shaughnessy run 3:55.4 on 1/28/77?" SEE LINKS FOR CONTEXT:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ead=418532

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/%7Ersparks/sub4-ven.htm

Comment

If I remember correctly, and although I was there the memory does fade, Wilson Waigwa's 3:58.3 on 6-12-76 came in Charleston, W.Va., on a very hot afternoon following the Track and Field Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. The track was lousy (a mix of dirt and cinders), the crowd was sparse at best and it was quite humid to boot. The race was set up to get someone under 4:00 for the first time on W.Va. soil. Also in the race (among others) were Wisconsin's Steve Lacy and Western Michigan's Tom Duits, but Waigwa was the only one under 4.

Comment

Bingo, Editor Don has it! All the right players and year.

One down, one to go. January 28, 1977? Where? Columbia, MO?

Comment

>January 28, 1977? Where? Columbia, MO?<

Yes, definitely.

Comment

yes, but how about one IN South Carolina ?

It would assuredly have to have happened at Clemson or at South Carolina. SC's in Columbia too !

Comment

I'm the newspaper reporter and a guy on the lets run message board says niall o'shaugnessy's sub-4 in 1977 was in columbia, mo.
                    And it's now clear that the Waigwa mile was in W.Va., so the closest to a sub-4 i can find so far is Marty Flynn's (Ray's brother) doing a 4:00.90 indoor at Clemson on the lousy Littlejohn Coliseum track.
                    Plus, there are several road miles...
                    My last chance for a possible sub-4 seems to be if one of the Kenyans at Baptist College (now Charleston Southern) in the 1970s ran one. Any ideas on that?

Comment

>I'm the newspaper reporter and a guy on the lets run message board says niall
                      >o'shaugnessy's sub-4 in 1977 was in columbia, mo.

I sure hope they don't teach "guy on a message board" as qualified sources in journalism school?

I was counting on one of the locals here to dig out of the archives a TAFN and confirm O'shaugnessy's Jan 28, 1977 race.

As far as the 70s goes things were much different: neither Clemson nor South Carolina had much in track. We would have heard of a Kenyan running a sub-4 in the South, and Florida, Colorado and Northwestern were perennial losers in football.

Comment

Sub 4 miler from Tennessee

Did some digging and found out that the sub 4 miler from Tennessee is Bob Whelan of Dickson County, which is about 30 or 40 miles west of Nashville. After seeing that name again, it started to come back to me. He went on to run at U. of Kentucky. Just in case anybody was interested. Here are his state results from the TSSAA website http://www.tssaa.org

TSSAA Individual State Champions with a name that contains Whelan
                        Athletes Name Sport School Year Class Description TeamRecord Score Site Comment
                        Bob Whelan Boys Cross Country Dickson County 1985 Individual Champion 14:37 Percy Warner
                        Bob Whelan Boys Track Dickson County 1986 1600 Meter Run Champion Class AAA 4:14.8
                        Bob Whelan Boys Track Dickson County 1986 3200 Meter Run Champion Class AAA 9:43.6

Comment

Others above have confirmed O'Shaugnessy's 3:55.4 was in Columbia, MO. Since Malmo asks for documentation, see p.13 of the Feb. 1977 T&FN. It has a small report on the race/meet plus a bigger profile on the same page of O'Shaugnessy.

Comment

>Others above have confirmed O'Shaugnessy's 3:55.4 was in Columbia, MO.
                            >O. Since Malmo asks for documentation, see p.13 of the Feb. 1977 T&FN. It has
                            >a small report on the race/meet plus a bigger profile on the same page of
                            >O'Shaugnessy.

"p. 13 of Feb. 1977" gimme a freakin bone will ya? What was the name of the meet? SEC?

Comment

Re: 70s milers in SC. Dean Matthews, Dave Geer and Ian Davidson attended Clemson. Decent runners, but not milers.

At USC there was Russ Pate. Good marathon (2:12?) but definitely not a miler.

Halston Taylor (now at MIT as coach) who ran 4:03 at USC (?) along with several 4:10 guys who attended from 1975 - 1980s.

Prior to that (in 60s) was John Dunkleberg who, I recall, went to the Citadel. Ran 1:51.1 or thereabouts for 880 yards and an American Indoor record, but I doubt if he ever approached 4:00 in the mile...probably sub 4:13, but not faster.

Comment

Working...
                              X