X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Program Gone--San Francisco State

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 6JQP11.DTL

Re: Another Program Gone--San Francisco State

That really stinks... My sister was all-conference for them in the 800m...she will be saddened by this recent loss.

Comment

Shame-I have several close friends who competed there, not to mention my brother.

Comment

My sister quoted: "Very sad that Bay Area athletes must go so far away just to run Division II track."

Comment

Don't want to start another bitter debate, but the demise of the Gator men's program is directly attributable to the inequities of administration of Title IX.
          College AD's are not merely required to offer equality in programs (no one in this day and age would argue against gender equality). The crisis arises because colleges are required to sponsor programs on an equity basis. So programs and funding and numbers of athletes have to be representative of the percentage of male/female students on campus. With more and more college admissions going to females (the trend is that female high school students are achieving at increasingly higher levels than males) and less and less money to support athletics, the only possible direction is to cut men's sports And especially ones that involve lots of men (i.e. T&F!) SF State simply hasn't enough $ to maintain all programs and Title IX directives dictate how cuts must be made.

Comment

For what it's worth, SFS is keeping women's track and men's XC.

Comment

how can the school expect to recruit mens distance runners for cross country, when the recruits know there will be no track team for them. cross country is fun, but most distance runners use it as a base to get ready for track, basically for distance runners, the sports go together.

Comment

>Don't want to start another bitter debate, but the demise of the Gator men's
                >program is directly attributable to the inequities of administration of Title
                >IX.
                College AD's are not merely required to offer equality in programs (no
                >one in this day and age would argue against gender equality). The crisis arises
                >because colleges are required to sponsor programs on an equity basis. So
                >programs and funding and numbers of athletes have to be representative of the
                >percentage of male/female students on campus. With more and more college
                >admissions going to females (the trend is that female high school students are
                >achieving at increasingly higher levels than males) and less and less money to
                >support athletics, the only possible direction is to cut men's sports And
                >especially ones that involve lots of men (i.e. T&F!) SF State simply hasn't
                >enough $ to maintain all programs and Title IX directives dictate how cuts must
                >be made.

based on the schools decision today to drop 2 mens teams track and swimming and 3 womens teams swimming, volleyball and tennis, it does not appear to be a title 9 issue.

Comment

>based on the schools decision today to drop 2 mens teams track and swimming and 3 womens teams swimming, volleyball and tennis, it does not appear to be a title 9 issue.<

I'd differ... I think the indicator is the decision to drop men's track and keep women's track, a trend in such cuts lately. Track involves a lot of people... eliminate the men and recruit more women from the student body and it goes a long way toward equity in participation. I beleive SF State did not field men's volleyball or tennis teams so the net total of athletes cut may be similar overall per gender, but the result is a loss of a men's program in track while the women's continues.

Comment

Story in today's paper mentions not a whit about "gender equity" and everything about Ahnold's budget slashing and a failed student referendum:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... KQTK11.DTL

Comment

Just curious, is it the number of participants or number of scholarships that counts for Title IX?

If it's the number of participants, couldn't coaches be a bit proactive and limit the men's team size to around 40 and allow all the walkons possible for the women's team?

Comment

gh... this is San Francisco State ! Do you expect that ANYONE associated with the university or the press covering the story in SF would bring up any reference to Title IX as a source of program cuts ? Of course the AD hates to cut programs and of course the underlying reason is the lack of $. But the tactics of the cut (a men's program disappears while the clone women's program stays) has to be driven by Title IX concerns.
                        Note the remaining programs:
                        Men's and women's soccer
                        -- Baseball and softball
                        -- Men's wrestling
                        -- Men's and women's basketball
                        -- Men's and women's cross country
                        -- Women's indoor and outdoor track & field
                        Where similar sports are paired up the numbers of male/female participants could be expected to be roughly equal. The odd sports are men's wrestling and women's track, where one would expect a considerably larger # of track athletes than wrestlers. This works toward equity concerns and reflects Title IX requirements.

Comment

Working...
                        X