Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dai Greene To LaShawn Merritt: 'You're A Cheat!'

Note to gh:

I understand that the news feed on the left of the home page is automated, and in principle nothing relevant should be filtered from it, but is it really necessary to dignify (and legitimize) this article from the Mail Online under the heading "The Day's Best Reading" ?

The Daily Mail is a right wing tabloid similar to the National Enquirer - except, sadly, carrying quite a lot more credibility with a larger portion of the population in the UK. I don't know David Greene, but given reporting standards and practises recently exposed, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the article grossly distorts what he actually said (if indeed he was really interviewed).

If it is accurate, then IMO think it ranks alongside other recent stories (such as ex-hurdler Angie Thorp whining about her NR being broken by "plastic Brit" Tiffany Ofili) as content that definitely doesn't rank among the Day's Best Reading ...

Re: Dai Greene To LaShawn Merritt: 'You're A Cheat!'

Sometimes sensationalism is the day's best reading, unfortunately. Such statements do nothing for the sport and, in fact, call negative attention to T&F. So attendance drops, prize money drops, Dai doesn't make as much $$$$; he needs to think a bit before he opens his mouth.

Comment

the article:

Originally posted by Daily Mail
      Greene told the Mail on Sunday:
      "I'll tell you now, I'll happily go and find him at the start and tell him to his face: 'You're a cheat and you shouldn't be here. I'll be so motivated, so pumped up by his very presence in the race that I'd do anything I could to find myself up against him in the same leg of the relay, no matter what leg it would be. Let's be honest. It won't be a surprise if I'm in the relay team, it won't be a surprise if he's running for the Americans and it won't be a surprise if we're against each other in the semis or the final. So it's likely I'll get my chance to do this. And if I do, I'll take it."
      If the quote is real, Dai did himself a disservice in more ways than one.

Comment

I agree with the sentiments of this thread...1. I doubt Dai Greene would say that and 2. if he did he's out of line because when you don't know all the nuances and intimate details of a case, you'd be wise not to comment on it... and also I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt if they are reinstated and support a comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by berkeley
          The Daily Mail is a right wing tabloid similar to the National Enquirer
          Horsehockey.

Comment

1. The Daily Mail is nothing like The National Enquirer. It used to be very right-wing but is nowhere near as far right as it used to be. It's still extremely Royalist but it has become (slightly) more in touch.

2. Every one should be entitled to express their opinion and if an athlete feels strongly about drug use, I welcome this. Perhaps Greene didn't choose his words very well, but good on him I say. It still amuses me that some people expect athletes who have been cheated out of medals or who have seen team mates cheated out of medals to keep stum. No way Jose. Shame the cheats out of the sport.

3. LaShawn Merritt is a cheat.

Comment

When he goes after Christine Ohourugu, a team mate, I will be more impressed with his stand.

Comment

The Daily Mail at its best. These quotes have been drawn from a suspect line of questioning to deliver some juicy headlines, no doubt they would have started with his views on drugs in sport and led from there to Merritt.

Not sure what support Dai would have had during the interview from management etc. The story also covers his epilepsy which I wasn't aware of before.

I wonder if this is part of a broader attempt to increase his profile, he appeared on a game show recently and for a world champion, he has none of the profile that Jess Ennis has, and she's not even world champion any more. Cashing in on the lead up to the Games must be a priority for all UK athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella
                  Do you know something the authorities don't know? "Cheat" implies intent, and I believe the ruling in Merrit's case was that there was no intent to unfairly improve athletic performance, which is why his original ban was reduced.

Comment

LOL!

https://twitter.com/#!/JoeBattaglia1/st ... 8898540544

Originally posted by Joe Battaglia
                    Will be fun watching @daigreene try to remove baton from his ass courtesy of LaShawn Merritt after the 4x400m in London
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

A so so 400 man wants to dis one of the best ever? Whatever. Merritt has done his time. and he's clean, and I'm tired of people not giving people a second chance in this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper
                        Do you know something the authorities don't know? "Cheat" implies intent, and I believe the ruling in Merrit's case was that there was no intent to unfairly improve athletic performance, which is why his original ban was reduced.
                        I agree. There is a consistent process for assessment. In this case, the assessment is that he failed a test but was not 'doping' in the sense of attempting to cheat. If you only want to accept those results that you like then just consider yourself a partisan and leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper
                          I've always believed in Merritt's explanation. I mean, who would fess up to using a male enhancement product? I guess the very cynical might think it was a brilliant move to cover up a cheating regimen. The guy paid for his mistake by having nearly two years at the peak of his career taken away; can only guess what a huge amount of $$$ that cost him on the track and through endorsements, not to mention legal fees fighting the ban. Dai may be a great 400 hurdler, but if his words are true, he's got a long way to go in the compassion department.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                            A so so 400 man
                            Um, the world 400m hurdles champion.

Comment

wonder how long it would take Merritt to learn how to hurdle passably? :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                              X