Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dai Greene To LaShawn Merritt: 'You're A Cheat!'

Originally posted by 72
    how the heck do those twerps on the AAA know about his innermost intentions.?
    1) They listened to the evidence of the 7-11 employee (see sections 7.10 to 7.12).
    2) They established beyond reasonable doubt that Merritt had bought Extenze.
    3) Concluded that he must have bought it for the reason stated - boosting his love life.

To me that was a logical conclusion. If you disagree with them you have to believe one of the following things:

a) The 7 - 11 employee lied.
    b) Merritt was buying Extenze for the tiny quantity of PED it contained. (Well, if he wanted to cheat, why not get a proper steroid and masking agent?)
    c) He was buying it as cover in case he got caught taking DHEA in another form. (Illogical since by taking Extenze it ensure he would test positive).

72 - not every athlete is a cheat and not every official want to let them off.

Comment

Originally posted by 72
      Merritt was guilty of breaking the rules, got found out and paid a price; how the heck do those twerps on the AAA know about his innermost intentions.? Their intentions was to make sure that Merritt was on hand for the World Champs.
      Well, they almost certainly know more than you, as they took testimony on that aspect and they gave it considerable thought.

Why the heck would people on the AAA board be biased so that someone that they do not know might have a chance to win something that they individually do not care about and would sacrifice their principles in a profession that they have risen to the top in. It is not like there is a missing link in your commentary, they is a whole handful of them and you come off as having no objectivity at all while those you blame for being biased look clearly more unbiased than you.

Comment

Originally posted by John G
        To me that was a logical conclusion. If you disagree with them you have to believe one of the following things:

b) Merritt was buying Extenze for the tiny quantity of PED it contained. (Well, if he wanted to cheat, why not get a proper steroid and masking agent?)
        c) He was buying it as cover in case he got caught taking DHEA in another form. (Illogical since by taking Extenze it ensure he would test positive).
        But surely the argument is that he didn't take Extenze at all, simply used it as an excuse once he got caught. It's completely logical that if he was taking it in another form having being buying an over the counter product with the illegal ingredient in it, he could use that to try and get him off if he tested positive. I'm not saying that this is what happened (I couldn't possibly know) but what is there in the evidence to rule this out?

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
          Originally posted by 72
          Merritt was guilty of breaking the rules, got found out and paid a price; how the heck do those twerps on the AAA know about his innermost intentions.? Their intentions was to make sure that Merritt was on hand for the World Champs.
          Well, they almost certainly know more than you, as they took testimony on that aspect and they gave it considerable thought.

Why the heck would people on the AAA board be biased so that someone that they do not know might have a chance to win something that they individually do not care about and would sacrifice their principles in a profession that they have risen to the top in. It is not like there is a missing link in your commentary, they is a whole handful of them and you come off as having no objectivity at all while those you blame for being biased look clearly more unbiased than you.
          Surely the most unbiased way would be to treat everyone the same - i.e. not decide on people's intentions, and just stick to whether rules were broken or not? As soon as someone makes a judgement on what they think happened, we start seeing inconsistency and people are open to accusations of lacking objectivity

Take Flumpy's point above - the girl in the shop doesn't need to have lied - she sold the item, but she can't possibly know what LM did with the product once he left the store; what value is her testament, in all honesty?

Comment

What amazes me the most is the fact that athletes would risk their careers by taking pretty much useless "supplements" such as DHEA. It actually reminds me of a politician or a businessman that would risk their lives by a momentary fling with a prostitute. Totally blows my mind.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

The IAAF or IOC or both stated that their was no intention on the part of CO to enhance her performances by ingesting owt; she was administratively stupid and paid the price.No evidence was ever presented to the contrary , a somewhat different case with Merritt.
              It never ceases to surprise me that fans on this Forum can so frequently always find an excuse, what is referred to as mitigating circumstances, for their own athletes breaking the rules, however onerous; and when a WC or OG comes around with a potential medallist on the rack the USA Track authorities have in the past been a bit lenient.

For example,just noticed ,what I did not know, that a certain woman won a silver at the OG in the 100m hurdles in 1992 but she was not disallowed to compete at the American OT, conveniently. So says Wallechinsky in his book.

Lets hope that the IOC and WADA can get their act together and impose bans to discourage cheating or breaking the regulations by the next OG in Roi.

Comment

Originally posted by 72
                The IAAF or IOC or both stated that their was no intention on the part of CO to enhance her performances by ingesting owt; she was administratively stupid and paid the price.No evidence was ever presented to the contrary , a somewhat different case with Merritt.
                This makes no sense -- This is essentially the same ruling that was made for Merritt. Explain in detail and with faultless logic how these two cases are fundamentally different (and what is owt?).

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                  (and what is owt?).
                  Owt (and its antonym nowt) are colloquial terms primarily used in Northern England meaning anything/nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by 72
                    For example,just noticed ,what I did not know, that a certain woman won a silver at the OG in the 100m hurdles in 1992 but she was not disallowed to compete at the American OT, conveniently. So says Wallechinsky in his book.....
                    I'm confused. Somebody (if she's named in Wallechinsky's book, you can name her here; I don't know who you're talking about) "was not disallowed" why? Because she won silver? Sentence structure has me baffled.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
                      Originally posted by John G

But surely the argument is that he didn't take Extenze at all, simply used it as an excuse once he got caught. It's completely logical that if he was taking it in another form having being buying an over the counter product with the illegal ingredient in it, he could use that to try and get him off if he tested positive. I'm not saying that this is what happened (I couldn't possibly know) but what is there in the evidence to rule this out?
                      If he was buying it as cover then why did he pay in cash and fail to get receipts (I assume that if he had receipts they would have been included in his evidence)? Surely, if this was a cover story then he'd have bought it over the net so that he had multiple proof of purchase. What sort of idiot would rely on a shop worker remembering him?

I defy anyone to really read this evidence and not reach the same conclusion as those who made the ruling.

Comment

Originally posted by 72
                        It never ceases to surprise me that fans on this Forum can so frequently always find an excuse, what is referred to as mitigating circumstances, for their own athletes breaking the rules, however onerous; and when a WC or OG comes around with a potential medallist on the rack the USA Track authorities have in the past been a bit lenient.

No offence 72, but you haven't read the ruling, have you?

Comment

Batman: 48.20 today. David Greene has only run faster than that on two occasions.

Comment

Working...
                          X