Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youtube to stream the entire London Olympics live for NBC

The is great news. Can't wait. I hope this means no more "Microsoft Silverlight" plugin needed like the last Olympics broadcast on NBCOlympics.com.

According to NBC, you’ll be able to see every single event live on NBCOlympics.com, which will roughly add up to 3,000 hours of coverage. All of the live-streams will also be available on mobile devices.

http://techland.time.com/2012/03/07/you ... s-for-nbc/

Re: Youtube to stream the entire London Olympics live for NB

If it's in HD, and the quality is at least as good as Millrose(which was terrific), great news indeed
    There are no strings on me

Comment

I hope NBC provides enough bandwidth for its NBCOlympics.com website because millions of folks will be watching it live on the internet.

If enough bandwidth isn't provided, the website will slow to a crawl and eventually might not be available to alot of people.

Also, I am sure NBC will make the website do IP checks to make sure it is only accessible to US residents.

Comment

I'm pretty confident youtube has enough bandwidth - Lady Gaga videos probably get more views a day than the daily Olympic coverage will. The only question is how good the transfer from the NBC feed to youtube will be.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
          If it's in HD, and the quality is at least as good as Millrose(which was terrific), great news indeed
          Definition of "spoiled rotten" is sure moving up :wink: .
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I'm pretty confident youtube has enough bandwidth - Lady Gaga videos probably get more views a day than the daily Olympic coverage will. The only question is how good the transfer from the NBC feed to youtube will be.

Based on the link, it will be streamed by youtube and NBCOlympics.com will embed these live streams within its website.You won't be able to watch it from www.youtube.com

Comment

Originally posted by notorious

Based on the link, it will be streamed by youtube and NBCOlympics.com will embed these live streams within its website.You won't be able to watch it from http://www.youtube.com

Right, you wont be able to access the feeds via the youtube website, but it appears NBC is still using the youtube infrastructure, ostensibly because of their massive bandwidth capabilities. Otherwise, NBC might as well just livestream from their own site, as they've done in the past.

Comment

great news. thank God none of it is on universal sports.com !

Comment

Sounds good, however I can't help but imagine that with NBC involved, the coverage will be the usual biased and unsportsmanlike feed...I'll pass. I am stilled scarred by Costas' unprofessional behaviour on the last trip.

Comment

pelpa said: "Sounds good, however I can't help but imagine that with NBC involved, the coverage will be the usual biased and unsportsmanlike feed...I'll pass. I am stilled scarred by Costas' unprofessional behaviour on the last trip."

costas is not the problem (his producers are) and i dont recall him being unprofessional at all in any of the olympic games he has covered. from previous experience the live video/internet feed is without commentary and does not include as much advertising as you would see on tv. i guess if you don't want to watch it on tv or with the online feed you can read the results in your local newspaper !

Comment

Boy TM, if it were the ads alone I would be a customer but unfortunately that's just a minor hang up. For one, whenevertime there is an NBC feed you can count on not knowing who the other guys in the other lanes are if they do focus on the other guys in the other lanes.

You cant count on not seeing the race if a US athlete (or a Bolt) isn't in it.

...And for Costas, he really needs to learn that if it is that he intends to comment to an audience wider than the states he has to do the professional thing and check his personal feelings about issues. He needs to stop being passively aggressive and showing smug dessent if ever his pony gets beat.

.....and oooooooooughh did I rant about delaying events in anticipating Prime Time audiences?

But then again, these days I only watch the NBC feed to compare the official CBU (Caribbean Broadcasting Union) feed, BBC3, and other feeds on MYP2P.....then I read it in the papers the following day...it always highlights the difference with NBC to me.

Comment

I hope this means no more "Microsoft Silverlight" plugin needed like the last Olympics broadcast on NBCOlympics.com.
                        Why is that particular plug-in worse than any other?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                          I hope this means no more "Microsoft Silverlight" plugin needed like the last Olympics broadcast on NBCOlympics.com.
                          Why is that particular plug-in worse than any other?
                          I think this was stated within the context that no video enabling plug is needed whether veetle, flash or Silverlight etc. to watch the programme on demand. Sometimes its so annoying when you download whatever plug is required at a gamble of also downloading a virous and the streaming still is an issue. With you tube its instantaneous.

That's my take on it.

Comment

pelpa,

we have beaten that dead horse many times before. NBC is not broadcasting to a world wide audience, just a us audience who primarily wants to watch gymnastics, some swimming and a few track events. most people work during the time when the events take place so they want to watch the main events in primetime when they are home and free to watch them. NBC does NOT cater to fanatics who have time to research which are the best feeds for the iaaf world indoor. as we have repeatedly said a big company looks at the big picture and bottom line and what would keep most people happy. i am sure the letters you have sent them about the so called other lanes were placed in their proverbial trash bin !
                            however, their attempt to allow the fanatics of each sport to watch their sport in their entirety and without much cuts in or comments, must be commented even though you might not think it will work. i think it will make more people happy, but maybe some people will NEVER be satisfied !

Comment

FYI, there are many other persons in the US aren't necessarily US citzens, there are many persons across the world who might be in the US. :wink:

Regardless of your admitted flaws with NBC, it can't be reduced to beating a dead horse if there are persons (even Americans who are also world citizens) who just want a fair coverage falling within the annals of good journalism.

call me a fanatic if I am a sober track fan and the sole broadcaster decides to carry the race delayed while the rest of the world watches it live....worse if as you address it, not that many other persons mind if they don't see it at prime time.

If you reason otherwise then you reason like a HICK....and tsk for assuming all others will.

Bottomline...broadcasting on Youtube says to me that you welcome the attention of the world...I don't know but correct me if I'm wrong.

anyway, let me step off this soap box (as this is not the forum for such) and let NBC to do their thing and I exercise my viewing franchise widely to omit NBC from my options.

Comment

Working...
                              X