Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: which of these doesn't belong? [Hall Of Fame]

Originally posted by gh
    Holmes in the HOF? I don't see her as even on the radar (like Bob Beamon--another who doesn't belong--she's basically a one-trick pony).
    Well, Garry, as I always say when drunk (which I am not now), she was knighted before retiring and Daley still hasn't been 20 years after quitting.

I don't know whether single great achievements (which Kelly's was, one must admit) warrant inclusion in a HOF, which is for lifetime achievements/whole careers. It's like having Rodgers or Eli in the NFL HOF now but Marino and Elway not.

Comment

Possibly Carl Lewis, who despite being possibly the greatest athlete of all-time is the only one to have failed a drug test?

Comment

What about Mildred "Babe" Didrikson. She should qualify since she had two gold medals at the 1932 Summer Olympics and she did set world records at the 1932 AAU Championships. She was also a very versitile athlete.

Comment

Re: which of these doesn't belong?

Originally posted by gh
          in reading IAAF material more fully, I see they were up-front about the distribution of the first 24:

<<These 24 athletes will represent all IAAF Areas and include all major event groups (sprint, middle distance, long distance, hurdles, jumps, throws, combined events, race walk, and road running)>>

So there will by definition be a walker in the second 12.
          And you have a problem with this?

Best guess is the political vote will go to Maurizio Damilano, but either Robert Korzeniowski or Jefferson Perez would be a better selection as neither has been associated with blood doping or election rigging.

Comment

I too see no problem with Bikila. He probably wouldn't have been in my initial twelve, but I can see why someone might put him there. He's arguably the greatest marathoner ever, winning the olympic title twice, both times with a world best. As hc10003 said, he also spearheaded the wave of African distance runners.
            I think it's great that a walker will get a look in. But what about steeplechasers?

Comment

Re: which of these doesn't belong?

Originally posted by MJR
              Originally posted by gh
              in reading IAAF material more fully, I see they were up-front about the distribution of the first 24:

<<These 24 athletes will represent all IAAF Areas and include all major event groups (sprint, middle distance, long distance, hurdles, jumps, throws, combined events, race walk, and road running)>>

So there will by definition be a walker in the second 12.
              And you have a problem with this?

Best guess is the political vote will go to Maurizio Damilano, but either Robert Korzeniowski or Jefferson Perez would be a better selection as neither has been associated with blood doping or election rigging.
              Korzeniowski and Perez aren't eligible yet, they haven't been retired for 10 years. (Golubnychy, on the other hand, is very much eligible.)

Comment

mjr, I know you walk guys have to endure a lot of crap, but you're paranoid if you somehow read into my statement I had a problem with a walker in the next group. I was merely pointing out that that was the only event grouping that hadn't been represented, so by definition we know there's one coming up next time around.

As for "political," if Primo were still about I've no doubt that Damilano would be the choice. Like Lop, I'd go for Golubnichiy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog
                  Possibly Carl Lewis, who despite being possibly the greatest athlete of all-time is the only one to have failed a drug test?
                  Except that never happened. A great myth.

Comment

Working...
                  X