Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: alan webb

personally, send webb to train with krummenacker...

da Oliveria looks like he's training his group just like you want webb to get trained...

I found krummenacker recent quote about it taking 4 yeats post college to really get into the groove...

sometimes it just takes time to find the right system...

I recollect seeing an article some where, where webb said his winter build-up was the best he's ever done...

and in it, he mentioned he wasn't going to europe, except in the case he made the world team...

..you could read the reluctance as a self doubt or as a wise person not wanting to submit a young colt to the rigors of the elite euro run for cash mill.

so, i think there's a longer strategy in play...

i don't believe anyone seriously believes webb is a factor in the 2003-2004 phase...

but the next cycle from 2005-2008 is when he's focusing.

the sprints with gaitlen are different..

I keep thinking back to marion jones pursuing basketball at unc, essentially putting her t&f on hold...

and webb should have a similar lack of urgency...

just grow into his ability

Comment

I agree, Krummenacker is doing it right and its paying off. I think he will ultimately make a great miler and may be able to get Scott's record within the next 1-2 years. He is being coached very well and has his head on straight. His quote about staying injury free and healthy being one of the most important aspects of a sound training program says it all. Progress steady but surely - you don't need giant jumps but progress is required if interest is going to remain. I think he may be the United State's next great middle distance runner.

If Webb doesn't improve on his 3:53 for 3-5 years he will likely get frustrated. Unfortunately, its hard to have a lack of urgency when you are an extremely competitive individual and you are being pain 250k to perform...and you have guys like us examining every race.

Comment

Ray Flynn is Webb's agent, so I think Webb is in good hands.

Kobe Bryant is a local Philly kid and any one who say him play knew he was going to be really good.

It took Bryant a couple years in the nba to get it all together. At 20, he wasn't the nearly as polished as he is now.

Webb was similarly talented as Kobe as a high schooler.

It's all about exposing the great talent to the proper mentoring.

And I would expect Flynn to be a powerful guiding force.

look at Ritz cutting his season short due to injury. One arguement is there's far too much racing in college.

jennings search for his love of running again falls into that area...

webb can be far more selective...and in the long run be successful...

krummenacker will seize the poster child award from webb, just because he's going to be very succssful the next two years, and he'll get more play from nbc and espn....

krummennacker has the look of a guy who can reach wc and og finals...

it's going to be fun watching him this summer.

Comment

Hopefully Flynn will be helping. The Lakers did insist that Kobe progress more slowly than Kobe would have liked. But, it proved wise. But basketball is much different than track. The team component his psychologically and emotionally supportive.

Ritz had an unbeleivable frosh year. He clearly transitioned over to the collegiate level without missing a beat. Webb has missed a couple beats but hopefully will be finding the rythm soon... now I'm starting to sound like Gabe. I better stop and ride go on a bike ride to clear my head.

Comment

I will play devil's advocate - Webb should have stayed with Ron and Kevin Sullivan at U-Mich along with Brannen, Willis and another young Canadian Ellerton.

The program was ready to explode with some of the best young talent in the world coming to Ann Arbor [although Webb may have been making it implode some said].

Did cross country in 2001 really slow him down?

All of them could have developed together to become great world class 800/1500 runners.

Comment

So, here it is, about 14 1/2 hours till kickoff, and I gotta say, I'm very impressed with both Alan and Steve Magness. They were out at the track this p.m., shaking out, and both seemed to have that "snap" that the really good middle distance runners have. I think Webb will run well tomorrow, and by that, I mean his second fastest time ever...about 3:57. I think that Magness will break 4, maybe by several seconds. He is going to go out in 57, 1:58, and "hang on", in his words. Says he's been training to do that all season. Well, he's picked the right race. Lagat has asked for 1:53. There are 19 (yes, you read right) in the mile, in keeping with our meet motto, "You can never have too many good milers." The Pre Classic record is 13 in one race. Ready for a new record...?

PS, weather forecast is for rain starting at 3 p.m. Last event is scheduled at 2:50-ish. Could we be so lucky? We'll find out...

Comment

thanks to tom jordan for the report...

I'll be in front of my tv watching everything unfold...

good luck to everyone at pre tomorrow.

Comment

>There are 19(yes, you read right) in the mile, in keeping with our meet motto, "You can never have too many good milers." The Pre Classic record is 13 in one race. Ready for a new record...?<

I hope for everyone's sake that the obvious disaster does not happen, but if one guy trips and takes down half the field about 150m into the race, it should not come as a shock. 19 is too damned many for a mile, no matter what your motto says. Why not do what Zurich does? Have the guts to make tough decisions and put the lesser qualified guys in a 'B' race. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

sigh,,,, yawn.........

Comment

Webb did have the second fastest run in from the 1500 mark to the finish, so maybe he's just lacking in confidence. If he's aware of how fast his finish was in comparison to the other runners, maybe he'll bounce back.

Comment

Where can I get the 1500 splits?

Comment

Alan Webb will fade into obscurity.

Comment

Can I get splits on the mile? I'd also like to see Webb's splits. I had to be at my kid's soccer game so I wasn't able to watch the meet. If its true that Webb had the 2nd fastest last 100m. it may mean that he is starting to focus again on getting that finishing zip back. He may have played in conservative early to focus on the finish. I think that is extremetly positive. If he is still thinking 2 months to go before being at his best, then he might be doing o.k. I would like to see him get to at least sub 3:55 this year.

Comment

Webb did close really fast, but he trailed every one and was running with the hs kids...

seemed webb wanted to run with magness and finish fast...or he had to run with magness because the pace was too fast...

we'll see how long nike sticks with him...

Nike just gave Freddy Adu, a 13 year old kid $1 million.

Comment

Different sport.......more fan attention, thus more money thrown at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X