Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people perform better indoors?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some people perform better indoors?

It seems some people are an exception to the rule. With no aid from tailwinds, steeper turns, and alot less oxygen some runners seem to be able to perform better indoors or have numbers similar to their outdoors. Some people that come to mind are Francena Mcrory, Bianca Knight, Irina Privalova, Wallace Spearmon, Sanya Richards Ross( in 2004). Does anyone know?

Re: Why do some people perform better indoors?

I guess some athletes' running styles aren't (as) affected by the tight track, whereas for others it will throw everything out. Maybe they feel less pressure as it's not as prestigious?

Comment

Some people are just built to run indoors, generally people who are shorter.

There's also training to run indoors.. Villanova used to train using the old Millrose track that they had behind their football stadium, so it's only natural that Eamonn Coghlan and Marcus O'Sullivan won the Wanamaker Mile so many times.

Comment

Jumbo i am curious to know why you believe height plays a role in indoor performance. Is it because being closer to the ground lessens the impact of the steepness of indoor curves? Irina Privalova is pretty tall and she was one of the prototypical sprinters that excelled at indoor running.

Comment

A long time since I ran indoors, but for me the difference between in and out was in a couple of areas.

First it was surface. The boards never gave me anything - like a synthetic track - so that needed adjustment. Seams versus open board.

And then there was the balance issues into and out of the corners. Depending on where you are on the track it changed. I was a big guy so it made a difference. You can't always control your position on the track - unlike the outdoors where its flat and even a turn isn't too severe. PLus you are very crowded so any of the above in a turn is emphasized. And at my size the spikes used to tear the boards up. Traction was an issue. I finished a race in Pocotello with the spikes on my shoe broken off or bent over.

Not my best experiences. But lots of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by mal
            A long time since I ran indoors, but for me the difference between in and out was in a couple of areas.

First it was surface. The boards never gave me anything - like a synthetic track - so that needed adjustment. Seams versus open board.

And then there was the balance issues into and out of the corners. Depending on where you are on the track it changed. I was a big guy so it made a difference. You can't always control your position on the track - unlike the outdoors where its flat and even a turn isn't too severe. PLus you are very crowded so any of the above in a turn is emphasized. And at my size the spikes used to tear the boards up. Traction was an issue. I finished a race in Pocotello with the spikes on my shoe broken off or bent over.

Your stating the obvious that Indoor running is more difficult. Which is why i want to know why some special people do better in a condition that is actually more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by fasttrack85
              Originally posted by mal

Your stating the obvious that Indoor running is more difficult. Which is why i want to know why some special people do better in a condition that is actually more difficult.

I would have thought it obvious too.

:-)

But its not difficult, its different. If you can't lead, the difference in the surface due to centrifugal force is one issue. And I still don't get your premise, if its so obvious to you, that its harder. Its not. Its the same distance with tighter turns, often differnet surfaces, and the banks and more tight turns. 'Littler people', those who can stay out of trouble, are in a good place.

But its not as fast as outdoors. It won't be while the tracks are smaller.

Are you claiming that makes it more difficult? I'd argue its not. And the handlful of top outdoor guys, who choose to run indoor do real well.

Perhaps someone else can connect the dots for you better than me.

Comment

In one instance I can think of, a special "indoor distance" was the difference.

I'm talking about Martin McGrady back in the late 60's, who was a world beater at the old 600 yard run, and had Lee Evans' number. But outdoors, McGrady was not a factor.... 400/440 being too short for him and the 800/880 being too long.

Comment

The jumps and hurdles always seemed easier indoors. No wind, closer proximity to the action, a more intense 'excitement' in general.

Comment

Originally posted by mal
                    Originally posted by fasttrack85
                    Originally posted by mal

I would have thought it obvious too.

:-)

But its not difficult, its different. If you can't lead, the difference in the surface due to centrifugal force is one issue. And I still don't get your premise, if its so obvious to you, that its harder. Its not. Its the same distance with tighter turns, often differnet surfaces, and the banks and more tight turns. 'Littler people', those who can stay out of trouble, are in a good place.

But its not as fast as outdoors. It won't be while the tracks are smaller.

Are you claiming that makes it more difficult? I'd argue its not. And the handlful of top outdoor guys, who choose to run indoor do real well.

Perhaps someone else can connect the dots for you better than me.

Different vs harder may be semantics to some but I truly feel it is more difficult. Tighter turns, certain surfaces, no wind/air is actually both clearly different and difficult. The fact that indoor numbers are usually slower is generally the rule and I am interested in the exception.

I have heard that some shorter people with shorter legs do better but Irina Privalova isn't exactly vertically challenged so there are obviously other reasons. Im just trying to figure out what they are?

Comment

Working...
                    X