Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would love to see a 300m men's race?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would love to see a 300m men's race?

I don"t know about anyone else but a race I would love to see but know I never will is a 300m.With the likes of kirami James,Lashawn Merrit,Jermey Warriner,Usain Bolt,Tyson Gay(fully fit) and Yohan Blake it would definately be a cracker.I think Bolt would win with Gay breathing down his neck, the 400 guyswould run out of track on the straightway (leg speed beating endurance) and Blake will burn up turning on the turbo off the curve.

Re: Who would love to see a 300m men's race?

It so ironic you ask this question. I was coming on here to post just that except I was thinking of saying what would everyone think about adding the 300 meters to the world championships and olympics.

You posted an exciting line up of guys. I think Bolt would win hands down since he has the world record at that distance at low altitude. Michael Johnson ran faster at altitude but I don't count that in my book. Tyson Gay and Merritt would probably be the biggest challengers right now. Kirani in my opinion is a good finisher in the 400 but not a speedster in comparison to the other guys. Wariner is similar to Kirani even at his best. Blake I am not sure quite has that endurance yet but if he trained would be in the same category with Gay and Merritt. A healthy in shape Wallace Spearmon could be added to that list as well.

For the women I would have Sanya Richards Ross, Allyson Felix, Amantle Montsho, Sherrone Simpson, Novlene Williams, Sherika Williams, and maybe a Russian or two. I have Sanya(2006,2009 shape) as the winner if she is healthy with strong competition from Allyson.

Comment

The trouble is, even with great talent in it, it's still just a 300 meter race.

Comment

I've seen such, and they have been nothing special (even if fast). To make it a watchable race of meaning you keep the field to 4 (5-6 max) and you break for the pole at the end of the backstretch.

Comment

Yes, I would love to see that . Thinking of how many 300m repetitions I ran in training sessions during those years I trained for the 400m :roll: .

The same goes for 600m races. I did as many 600m repetitions in those years I trained for the 800m.
          Regards
          Basslop

Comment

Originally posted by charlie1979
            .With the likes of kirami James,Lashawn Merrit,Jermey Warriner,Usain Bolt,Tyson Gay(fully fit) and Yohan Blake it would definately be a cracker.
            How can you be so sure that Wariner would win?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              I've seen such, and they have been nothing special (even if fast). To make it a watchable race of meaning you keep the field to 4 (5-6 max) and you break for the pole at the end of the backstretch.
              Wouldn't that give and unfair advantage to the inside lanes?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                I'm not sure I understand ... why is a 400m watchable and meaningful run in lanes all the way, but 300 must break for the pole ? Or do you mean that since a 300 can never have a lot of real meaning in historical terms, making it into a roller derby would at least add excitement ?

I'm not sure I agree. I think we have enough benchmarks to make times meaningful, and the competition between sprinters and quarter milers would make the outcome more interesting than a 200 or 400. without any added circus element. Jostling on the kerb is part of tactics in middle distance running (or even a 500 or 600), but in a 300 it might just distort the result too much.

Comment

Originally posted by berkeley
                  I'm not sure I understand ... why is a 400m watchable and meaningful run in lanes all the way,...

Ahhhh, but there's the disconnect! I find the 400, in general, non-watchable and non-meaningful (other than the two studs drawn in the middle of the track). Nothing more exciting than a 400 on a relay leg, with guys dueling head-to-head. Nothing less exciting than event (the open 400) where half the field is condemned to irrelevancy by the lane draw, and in which the fan has to guess who's really ahead (other than two guys in adjacent lanes).

If you've read my bleatings through the years, my answer is to kill the 400 and replace it with the 500, from the 100 start (staggered, of course), with a break for the pole at the curve for the full lap. (and, as noted with my 300 suggestion, with fewer than 8 runners).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    If you've read my bleatings through the years, my answer is to kill the 400 and replace it with the 500, from the 100 start (staggered, of course), with a break for the pole at the curve for the full lap. (and, as noted with my 300 suggestion, with fewer than 8 runners).
                    absolutely no need to kill the 400, just add the 500 for WC years and add the 600 for OG quadrennials. More is better and we desperately need to explore the space between the 400 and 800.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
                      I beg to differ.Guys that do the 400 are tuned for speed endurance, Guys that prepare for 100/200 are more tuned towards maximum speed.That's why you can almost always tell a 400 guy from a 100 guy just by the athlete's physique. That's why Bolt who is a 9.58/19.19 is afraid of the 400 and Michael Johnson a 19.30/43.18 guy never broke 10 sec, different training different methodology.There is a trade off between achieving max speed and endurance. A 100/200 race is tilted towards speed while a 400 is tilted towards endurance. Taking some of the best 100/200 and 400 guys in a race that is outside both their comfort zone and put them in an unfamiliar distance would make for an interesting race similar to Michael Johnson and Donovan Bailey over 150m.It would be great to see where the strength of one overcome the weaknesses of the other.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
                        I beg to differ.Guys that do the 400 are tuned for speed endurance, Guys that prepare for 100/200 are more tuned towards maximum speed.That's why you can almost always tell a 400 guy from a 100 guy just by the athlete's physique. That's why Bolt who is a 9.58/19.19 is afraid of the 400 and Michael Johnson a 19.30/43.18 guy never broke 10 sec, different training different methodology.There is a trade off between achieving max speed and endurance. A 100/200 race is tilted towards speed while a 400 is tilted towards endurance. Taking some of the best 100/200 and 400 guys in a race that is outside both their comfort zone and put them in an unfamiliar distance would make for an interesting race similar to Michael Johnson and Donovan Bailey over 150m.It would be great to see where the strength of one overcome the weaknesses of the other.
                        I'm pretty confident MJ could have gone under 10.0 without changing his training, just by racing it occasionally. You really think a 19.32 runner couldn't do 9.9?

Comment

If MJ could have done it he would have.

Comment

If MJ could have done it he would have.
                            I can't tell if you are joking or not.

http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographie ... index.html

Comment

He obviously could have, its not even a argument.

Comment

Working...
                              X