Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would love to see a 300m men's race?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who would love to see a 300m men's race?

Originally posted by bman
    He obviously could have, its not even a argument.
    That's why I wasn't getting engaged in an argument with what appears to be a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      ...non-meaningful[/i] (other than the two studs drawn in the middle of the track).
      Try telling that to Angelo Taylor or John Akii-Bua Also, isn't the spectator similarly left to guess who's in front for the first half of a 200 ?

Seriously, I appreciate your point, and actually I would love the 500 in the format you suggest, but I would still be afraid that too many results would be changed by collisions - I think none of us felt good about the outcome of the 100h in Daegu. Even lanes didn't avoid that incident, but I think quarter milers fighting it out at the kerb might result in the winner not being the fastest/strongest sprinter in too many cases.

Comment

Originally posted by rainy.here
        Originally posted by charlie1979
        If MJ could have done it he would have.
        I can't tell if you are joking or not.

http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographie ... index.html
        Maybe I am hard to convince;but somehow I don't put much weight on a10.07 in mid June with max allowable wind.Considering also that M.J.'s 19.32 first 100m split was 10.12(considering it was around a curve but also that he never ran within .3 sec of that time before are after).Considering also that few athletes in history were ever able to seriously challenge all three distances; would you not think M.J. himself would want to be in that exclusive club.
        The winning time for the 100m in the 1992 Olympics was 9.96,sec (Linford Christie)second was 10,02 (Frankie Fredricks)with a .5m/s wind.I you are telling me that M.J. could have challenged for gold in that race ,then maybe ,just maybe I am not the one joking.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie1979
          Originally posted by unclezadok
          The trouble is, even with great talent in it, it's still just a 300 meter race.
          I beg to differ.Guys that do the 400 are tuned for speed endurance, Guys that prepare for 100/200 are more tuned towards maximum speed.That's why you can almost always tell a 400 guy from a 100 guy just by the athlete's physique. That's why Bolt who is a 9.58/19.19 is afraid of the 400 and Michael Johnson a 19.30/43.18 guy never broke 10 sec, different training different methodology.There is a trade off between achieving max speed and endurance. A 100/200 race is tilted towards speed while a 400 is tilted towards endurance. Taking some of the best 100/200 and 400 guys in a race that is outside both their comfort zone and put them in an unfamiliar distance would make for an interesting race similar to Michael Johnson and Donovan Bailey over 150m.It would be great to see where the strength of one overcome the weaknesses of the other.

THIS! EXACTLY THIS!

Comment

Working...
          X