Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 Ways To Increase Your Enjoyment Of The Sport

1. Don't think everyone is or has been on PED's. The best are the best because they're the best, not because they cheat. (for the most part)
    2. progression is not linear. Making age comparison's are useless.
    3. stop relying on an announcement and actually watch the field events and write down the results if they have a competent crew.
    4. have a conversation with a knowledgable stranger (No time to educate a luddite who hasn't figured out why the sport is so great). You may learn more than "field or track"
    5. Reward excellence by learning how to pronounce the names of the leaders
    6. Stand for and remove any headwear during the playing of any anthem. It's a little thing but it shows respect (people from that country will appreciate you).
    7. Dammit, just do the wave. (when in Rome...)
    8. accept the fact that you will have to stand during some races...because the person in front of you has accepted it.
    9. Try to learn the WR distance/time and/or SB's in each event.
    10. Introduce an American geezer to the metric system! (It's NOT the mile stupid, it's a race - the historical distance shouldn't matter)
    11. The Jumbotron/Diamond vision is a few seconds behind the actual event, in case you need a more instant, instant replay.

Oh yeah, and tfn.com had a version
    http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index. ... arId=69796
    11 Ways To Increase Your Enjoyment Of The Sport
    TRACK & FIELD IS, OF COURSE, THE GREATEST sport going. But why not make it even more enjoyable? Revisiting a concept I first posed a decade ago in this spot, here in no particular order are 11 ways to increase your enjoyment of the sport:

1. Don’t sit close to the track. Sitting down close, even at the finish line—just like center court or the 50-yard line—is way overrated. If you really want to watch races develop, or follow the field events, sit high up. Even consider sitting on the backstretch, near the 1500 start. That’s an amazing vantage point.

2. Think of the sport as field & track. Unskilled announcers and poor visual aids can make this a tough one, but learn to enjoy the ebb and flow of the jumps and throws. Chart the event yourself.

3. Bring a non-fan to the meet. Not only will you have the chance to create new followers, you can also boost your ego by being expert-for-a-day. Cultivate your kids, if you’re of an age.

4. Join or form a track fantasy league. “Owning” athletes is a real kick in the pants (and sometimes in the head).

5. Volunteer to work a meet. The sport gives lots to you; give something back, even if it’s just raking the pit. Better yet, think about becoming an official, a commodity we’re woefully short on in most places.

6. Combine going to meets with tourism. No matter where you live, or how little time you have, there are always things worth stopping to see.

7. Visit both ends of the spectrum. If you like high school track, with all its purity and unfettered emotion, step up to the collegiate scene, or even the pros. Be blown away by the talent those at the top end exhibit. Conversely, if you’re jaded by the Euro Circuit, go and watch an elementary-school field day. The sight of those uncoordinated little critters giving their all will bring tears to your eyes.

8. Forget you’re a T&FN reader when you watch track on TV. Out of necessity, they’re pitching the sport at a wide demographic, one that’s not remotely track-savvy. Be thankful for what you get and revel in the fact that you understand the sport so well.

9. Go out to dinner with other fans after a meet. If you enjoyed the meet the first time round, you’ll enjoy it even more when you rehash a race, or fight over what strategy might have helped Lagat beat El Guerrouj back in ’04. Debate whether or not the no-false start rule is good or bad. Be sure to include the non-fan (Rule 3) here.

10. Even if you’re a Luddite, embrace the electronic age. You don’t have to go the 24/7 route, but learn to follow the sport on-line. Check out the social media aspect.

11. Scribble in your program, and keep it. This is your own permanent record. Pull it out days/weeks/months/years later and relive that great 100 when you read, “Jones 10.54, Smith 10.55, Johnson 10.55.”

The corollary to this last, of course, is the First Commandment: Never throw away a copy of T&FN!

Re: 11 Ways To Increase Your Enjoyment Of The Sport

Originally posted by preston
    1. Don't think everyone is or has been on PED's. The best are the best because they're the best, not because they cheat. (for the most part)
    2. progression is not linear. Making age comparison's are useless.
    3. stop relying on an announcement and actually watch the field events and write down the results if they have a competent crew.
    4. have a conversation with a knowledgable stranger (No time to educate a luddite who hasn't figured out why the sport is so great). You may learn more than "field or track"
    5. Reward excellence by learning how to pronounce the names of the leaders
    6. Stand for and remove any headwear during the playing of any anthem. It's a little thing but it shows respect (people from that country will appreciate you).
    7. Dammit, just do the wave. (when in Rome...)
    8. accept the fact that you will have to stand during some races...because the person in front of you has accepted it.
    9. Try to learn the WR distance/time and/or SB's in each event.
    10. Introduce an American geezer to the metric system! (It's NOT the mile stupid, it's a race - the historical distance shouldn't matter)
    11. The Jumbotron/Diamond vision is a few seconds behind the actual event, in case you need a more instant, instant replay.
    1. Simply not true. Some were the best because they DID cheat. Many, as a matter of fact. Luckily, the field was still relatively even because so many did, but . . . some gained much more than others.
    2. Making any and all comparisons is what fans do. It's fun!
    3. That only works IF the crew is competent and have boards to display. Most do not.
    4. What, and miss the action??!!
    5. no big whup - I mangle names all the time
    6. Absolutely yes.
    7. Absolutely not.
    8. Morons!!!! Everyone sits and everyone sees fine!
    9. Yes.
    10. NEVAH!!!
    11. I'm so thankful when I have that!!!
    11 and a half. Know all levels of track. Know every event. Appreciate both sexes. I get 100 times as much enjoyment as the guy who only likes elite male sprinters (RIP Brutal).

Comment

Simply not true? Pedantry alert: I'm somewhat disappointed that "don't think everyone, would turn into don't think ANYONE". I know my grammar is lazy and my writing is poor, but that sentence doesn't say that NOONE is on drugs, it just says that you can enjoy the sport more/better if you didn't make the assumption that EVERYONE is.

Other than that, I liked your list - even if you have no love for the "wavers". :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        Ever been to a meet when the umbrellas come out?

Comment

I know my grammar is lazy and my writing is poor, but that sentence doesn't say that NOONE is on drugs, it just says that you can enjoy the sport more/better if you didn't make the assumption that EVERYONE is.
          Mia apologia!

Comment

Preston and I are occasionally at loggerheads, but this time we are closer to lager heads (and in drinking them together and enjoying the conversation with an third party that we are informing of the joys of knowing field and track.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              Originally posted by Marlow
              Ever been to a meet when the umbrellas come out?
              This moron in Eugene told me in all seriousness that not getting up and cheering is disrespectful to the athletes. I was speechless and had no retort ops: .

Like your list, Preston .
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Same standing problem at football games..why can't people get just as excited sitting down? :?:

Comment

Won't be doing the Wave, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
                    Won't be doing the Wave, ever.
                    I have seen acceptable waves at track meets, but only during distance races. The best was the Euro Champs women's 10,000 in '86 when the crowd used it as a salute for Ingrid Kristiansen, although the wave eventually was pacing her before pulling away. At around 6000m, the crowd started a second wave, this one going clockwise while the first continued counter-clockwise.

Comment

I remember that well. It sort of reminded me of double dutch jump rope.

Comment

3. Bring a non-fan to the meet. Not only will you have the chance to create new followers, you can also boost your ego by being expert-for-a-day. Cultivate your kids, if you’re of an age.
                        I have brought both bemused friends and my family to the Pre on several occassions. They have always really enjoyed the experience.

Comment

Sometimes there's a lot going on at a meeting and even the experienced fan can find it a bit difficult to follow the action. A few tips for bemused newcomers on following four events at once could be good.

Comment

Working...
                          X