Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can some multi-event individuals best be broken

Ashton Eaton has chances to break 100m,LJ,110MH,Curtis Beach has largely chance to break 1500m,Jessica Ennis has the possibility to challenge 100mH,Austra Skujyte must eager to charge the SP HB although she did ont well in pen this season,and I also wonder how fast can dafne schippers fly in 200m?

Re: Can some multi-event individuals best be broken

Eaton definitely has a chance with the 100m, LJ and 110mh. Whether he'll do it in London is another matter, as the conditions probably won't be conducive to fast times. But with 10.26, 8.04 (and that great 8.16 indoors) and 13.35 bests, he surely has a chance to beat the decathlon bests of 10.22 (Huffins) 8.22 (Nool) and 13.47 (Bussemann). On paper the 110h looks the most likely to go, but I'd wager he'd get the 100m record before that (not because the 110h is on the second day :lol: but because that event is a 'pressure' event and one where athletes are most likely to mess up)
    Nool's windy 8.22 is very tough as well though. Nool had a +3m wind, legal in decathlon terms, so Eaton would need perfect conditions.

Custis Beach has run 3:59.13, very close to the decathlon best of 3:58.70 of Robert Baker. But whether Beach's effort to improve his other events will detract from his 1500m ability, we'll see.

There are other athletes in the current crop that in theory are close to the decathlon bests too:
    Suarez is just over 2m down on the JT best of 79.80 of Peter Blank with 77.47, but that extra 2m+ is very far in reality.
    Germany's Michael Schrader is the only other current athlete in the top ten in the LJ (apart from Sebrle, ranked 2nd with 8.11, but he wont reach that level again) with his 8.05 from Gotzis in 2009. He's been plagued by injuries since, but he has the talent.

On the women's side, I don't see Ennis beating the hepthlon best in the 100mh. I think she can get down to the 12.8 range for sure and more than likley a high 12.7, but I see 12.6 out of reach.
    I guess in theory Hellebaut could threaten her own HJ best of 1.97 if she ever chose to do another hepathlon, but it's doubtful.
    Dobrynska may approach her own 17.29 this season at the Olympics, but again, I think this is doubtful.
    JJK's 22.30 is too mcuh for Schippers, however the Dutch woman could go for Behmer's 22.73 second best mark, or Drechsler's 22.84 third best.
    Margaret Simpson's 56.36 JT best could be beaten. On paper she could do this herself, but Lilli Schwarzkopf is also close with 55.25 and Chernova with 54.49, but as mentioned above with Suarez, 2m is very far in reality.
    The LJ (7.27) and 800m (2:01.84) I dont see being beaten at all.

Comment

Hellebaut cannot take part in hep again,not just the injury effecting her JV, but for dafne she can run faster than 22.56 OB is still possible,she already run 22.69s in 2011,of course a good condition will help a lot,and Ennis, I do not agree with you,she centainly can run 12.60-12.70s.

Comment

Dobrynska may approach her own 17.29 this season at the Olympics, but again, I think this is doubtful.
        Margaret Simpson's 56.36 JT best could be beaten. On paper she could do this herself, but Lilli Schwarzkopf is also close with 55.25 and Chernova with 54.49, but as mentioned above with Suarez, 2m is very far in reality.
        The LJ (7.27) and 800m (2:01.84) I dont see being beaten at all.[/quote]
        why do you not choose Dobrynska instead of skujyte,I am curious ,I still regarded sanderson 64.64m as HB,for hep WR still exist even though JV changed twice in 1991 and 1999.

Comment

Last year Beach ran 2:27 to break the Hept record. This year he ran 2:23. 2:23 is fast enough to place very well at most top college conferences. A similar 1500m mark would be at least 3:45. The 1500 will be harder but I think 3:58 will be toast. In fact, Joe Detmer, who ran 4:04 to finish second in the NCAA decathlon said that he went out too conservatively (targeting a mark in below about 4:10 to get second) and felt he could have run sub-4 for that 1500.

My opinion is that wind-aided marks should be judged on the standard wind-aided terms. The reason that the different standard is applied is because there are so many events that it would knock out many decathlons from record consideration. If someone ran 9.57/3.3 they would not be credited with a world record in the 100. Thus, I would put in two categories, all conditions (wind-aided) and standard (wind not above 2.0 mps). Also note that windy conditions often make other events harder, such as the vault, 1500, 400, and, of course, the SP [NOT :lol: ].

Comment

Originally posted by nianchengyu
            why do you not choose Dobrynska instead of skujyte,I am curious
            Well Dobrynska owns the heptathlon best now and in Istanbul I thought Skujyte looked slimmer and less powerful. The Lithuanian has looked better and has been doing 17m in the last few outdoor majors so you may well be right.

Comment

It's going to be difficult to break Toomey's 45.6 for a number of reasons. Eaton and Beach have shots, but may not want to take them, for recovery reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                It's going to be difficult to break Toomey's 45.6 for a number of reasons. Eaton and Beach have shots, but may not want to take them, for recovery reasons.
                They won't break that 45.6 because it's too good. But as for recovery, since it's the last event of the 1st day, what's the problem ?

Note also that Beach's 1500 of 3:59, as good as it is, has a slight asterisk by it, as it occurred the next morning when he was fresh.

Comment

The problem comparing open-event PR's with Decathlon-PR's is that the athletes are usually quite a bit more uninhibited when running in open-events, as there's not as much on the line. They also usually have the added and better competition in the open-events to push/pull them along to those PR's, competition that they're unlikely to have in a Decathlon. Just a theory I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    There's a young British decathlete, Daniel Awde, with a best score of 7889 who ran 46.04 last year. Assuming he qualifies for London, which I believe he will, he could go close to Toomey's best if conditions are good.

Also, I think Jesica Ennis can run sub 12.7 in the hurdles (she ran 12.79 last year) judging by her indoor performances. With regards to javelin don't forget Tessa Sanderson threw 62m approx with the old model.

Comment

Well Dobrynska owns the heptathlon best now and in Istanbul I thought Skujyte looked slimmer and less powerful. The Lithuanian has looked better and has been doing 17m in the last few outdoor majors so you may well be right.[/quote]
                      yeah, look at skujyte figure I agree with you,however,Dobrynska looked stronger than skujyte all the time,and the key point is that Dobrynska is more heavier than 2008,why do she not throw more further for the former shot putter?

Comment

Originally posted by dec7000
                        Also, I think Jesica Ennis can run sub 12.7 in the hurdles (she ran 12.79 last year) judging by her indoor performances. With regards to javelin don't forget Tessa Sanderson threw 62m approx with the old model.
                        Jess's 100mh PB was set at that windy Loughbrough meeting though, the times are always unusually quick and a lot of other athletes never seem to match those marks. However, Jess did move on indoors this winter, so maybe she can. I also think she is better over 60mh than 100mh.

The other point is, she needs to focus on her HJ and LJ more this summer so I'm not sure she'll be doing an enormous amount of hurdles work. But perhaps the work she put in the winter will pay off in the summer anyway. Time will tell I guess, but I see a low 12.8 for sure, possibly a 12.7+ but I just dont see a 12.6

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                          They won't break that 45.6 because it's too good. But as for recovery, since it's the last event of the 1st day, what's the problem ?
                          I guess it depends on the individual, but a 'too-hard' 400 at the end of Day 1 can indeed be a problem for the next morning. Most of the physiology studies I have read suggest there is a 36-48 hour recovery period necessary from an all-out physical effort. That's why we have seen some people bonk in the final the next day after an all-out semi.

Comment

Eaton 45.68 yesterday, with splits reported as 21.6 & 33.2

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Eaton 45.68 yesterday, with splits reported as 21.6 & 33.2
                              i saw the data on decathlon 2000,wow,fabulous job,he is in brilliant form this year, fourth best time this year and well beyond B standard of oly, before that he well over A standard of 110mH A and B for LJ/8.10,he can smash his 10.26s later,wow, for a decathlete,unbelievable, 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X