Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Track's 100 Greatest Battles Of The 20th Century

I take it that means the Oz calendar runs a few years behind everybody else's? :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
      It is only 10 dollars. And that is with free shipping. Stay away from the used one though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
      Done, thankyou

i did have to pay for postage but still only came to £11, bargain
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        I take it that means the Oz calendar runs a few years behind everybody else's? :mrgreen:
        Point taken Garry!! That's a beer or six I owe you

Comment

don't feel too badly; I was up in arms about the absence of Geb/Tergat in Sydney until somebody pointed out the dating to me.

(although some purists will argue that '00 was in that century) (but please, no, let's not start that one again!)

Comment

[quote=mump boy]
            Originally posted by Conor Dary":w6i9no9h]It is only 10 dollars. And that is with free shipping. Stay away from the used one though.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1470149311/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used[/url]
            Done, thankyou

i did have to pay for postage but still only came to £11, bargain[/quote:w6i9no9h]

Such a deal.

Comment

Perhaps someone should tell the author that Brendan Foster never held the world record for 10,000 meters.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                don't feel too badly; I was up in arms about the absence of Geb/Tergat in Sydney until somebody pointed out the dating to me.

(although some purists will argue that '00 was in that century) (but please, no, let's not start that one again!)
                The 00 race Geb/Tergat was of course a compelling last lap but I've got a slightly different take on it....it was the Atlanta race where Tergat deserves the most plaudits for; surging to the front with 2000m to go in a bold effort to win from the front. Running something like 5:03-04 in that race was courageous.......and I have no doubt that if he'd tried the same in Sydney he'd have won (Haile's Achilles from all accounts was in very poor shape and he was far from top fitness). So it's ironic that the race Tergat is most known is one he showed too little resolve to beat Haile. Yes he took off with 300 to go but that was far too late. The race was there to be won.....

Comment

Originally posted by jlt
                  Originally posted by gh

The 00 race Geb/Tergat was of course a compelling last lap but I've got a slightly different take on it....it was the Atlanta race where Tergat deserves the most plaudits for; surging to the front with 2000m to go in a bold effort to win from the front. Running something like 5:03-04 in that race was courageous.......and I have no doubt that if he'd tried the same in Sydney he'd have won (Haile's Achilles from all accounts was in very poor shape and he was far from top fitness). So it's ironic that the race Tergat is most known is one he showed too little resolve to beat Haile. Yes he took off with 300 to go but that was far too late. The race was there to be won.....
                  This is SO true, i really wanted Tergat to win that race and was frustrated when he didn't go earlier
                  i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by tandfman
                    I wonder how many of them could be found (at least in part) on YouTube. Probably some. Put there legally? That's another question.
                    I keep wondering why Youtube isn't under a constant barrage of law-suits by people hoping for a quick settlement. If a web-site openly allowed thieves to offer stolen goods for sale (the analogy holds because Youtube is offering videos for view that could have otherwise be seen for a 'profit' (in most cases having to look at ads on the 'official site)), that would attract all sorts of attention. Piracy is piracy - intellectual, artistic or materiale.
                    Youtube gives the copyright holder the option to take a cut of the ad revenue from infringing videos rather than have them taken down. So the videos stay there with the effective consent of the copyright holder although they originally weren't placed there with permission.

Comment

I was wondering if this book was expanded to include all-time performances, which battles from the 19th century or this century would be added (or at least considered). Any thoughts??

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s
                        Originally posted by Marlow
                        Originally posted by tandfman
                        I wonder how many of them could be found (at least in part) on YouTube. Probably some. Put there legally? That's another question.
                        I keep wondering why Youtube isn't under a constant barrage of law-suits by people hoping for a quick settlement. If a web-site openly allowed thieves to offer stolen goods for sale (the analogy holds because Youtube is offering videos for view that could have otherwise be seen for a 'profit' (in most cases having to look at ads on the 'official site)), that would attract all sorts of attention. Piracy is piracy - intellectual, artistic or materiale.
                        Youtube gives the copyright holder the option to take a cut of the ad revenue from infringing videos rather than have them taken down. So the videos stay there with the effective consent of the copyright holder although they originally weren't placed there with permission.
                        That maybe changing.
                        • A federal appeals court on Thursday reversed a lower court’s decision to throw out a $1 billion lawsuit that was filed against YouTube by Viacom and other media companies five years ago.

The copyright infringement suit, which has become a symbol of the clash between entrenched media companies and the upstarts that are now competing with them, sought damages for clips from shows that had been uploaded by users to YouTube.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... utube/?hpw

Comment

Got mine yesterday... Hollobaugh is one of my favorite authors.

I was surprised to see No. 98 titled TIMMERMAN VS. GUNTOR at the exclusion of BARNES... I would've expected, at the least, to see all three listed.

Comment

[quote=Conor Dary][quote="18.99s":319gfh01]Youtube gives the copyright holder the option to take a cut of the ad revenue from infringing videos rather than have them taken down. So the videos stay there with the effective consent of the copyright holder although they originally weren't placed there with permission.[/quote]

That maybe changing.
                            [list]A federal appeals court on Thursday reversed a lower court’s decision to throw out a $1 billion lawsuit that was filed against YouTube by Viacom and other media companies five years ago.

The copyright infringement suit, which has become a symbol of the clash between entrenched media companies and the upstarts that are now competing with them, sought damages for clips from shows that had been uploaded by users to YouTube.[/list]

[url="http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/appeals-court-revives-viacom-suit-against-youtube/?hpw"]http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... utube/?hpw[/url][/quote:319gfh01]

That doesn't really change much. Getting a cut of the ad revenue generated by an infringing video in exchange for leaving the video online is an option for the copyright holder, not a requirement. They may opt to have the video taken down, and some of them do that.

If that lawsuit succeeds (which I think it won't, at least not at anything near $1 billion), the only difference is that it might give the copyright holders more leverage to demand a greater cut of the ad revenue.

Comment

Working...
                            X