Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College football players running Middle Distance?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College football players running Middle Distance?

A number of days ago on T&F News website I saw a list of NCAA football players who happened to double in track and field for their schools. Sprinters, jumpers, hurdlers, and throwers have always been representative in both sports, although more in the past than the present. Going through the list I got to middle distances. I saw the names of a few who actually ran the 1600 and the times were astonishingly good. I'm talking about the 3:44 range. All represented D-3 schools. I was curious because this is an odd double. I looked up each of their schools and went to their websites. I could find no documentation for those times. Was this an April Fool's Day prank?

Re: College football players running Middle Distance?

Think Anthony Kostelac, UVA, has run 1:48, 3:45, and was on the football roster last fall.
    Doubt if there are any d3 guys running 3:44, let alone playing football. And the 1600 is not a collegiate event!

Comment

I meant to type in 1500 and missed a key. Interesting about Anthony Kastelac. There's another runner Trevor Van Ackeren at Princeton who in high school combined soccer, football, and xc together. From what I understand he was a serious soccer player who kicked field goals on Friday nights. He also ran the xc meets where he won a District Meet and medaled at states. In the winter he was a point guard and in the spring he of course ran track. He might have juggled in volleyball in the spring but I have no confirmation of that. He ran about 4:12 in the 1600 (unfortunately a high school event in too many states). At Princeton he ran xc he frosh year pretty regularly, but not much since. He qualified for the NCAA Championships his soph year in the 1500 and ran 3:45. He sort of low keyed (maybe there were some injury problems) his junior year, although at Stanford he ran an open 1:52. He ran no xc meets his senior year. He was pretty quiet most of the winter although he came out in force at the end in a few local conference meets. He ran a pretty good 1000. Last weekend he ran a nice 1500 in California. Here's a guy who's run some great times probably on not a lot of base.

Comment

Not directly related to the original premise, but I seem to recall that Jason Pyrah played football every fall (in HS, of course).

Comment

there was a kid i think his name is coley candale (extremely unsure of spelling of name) who was california state champion in the mile and he was the star quarterback for a very good high school team, i read an article about him a few months ago as he was named los angeles times high school football coach of the year.

Comment

http://www.sbroundtable.org/hall-of-fam ... -candaele/

Comment

Working...
            X