Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more track and field in Greece?

See front page as well for article. Greek Federation has suspended any track and field activity until further notice (make this until there is money I guess). Too sad and frustrating for the few remaining athletes and especially since it is an Olympic year. Any opinions? I mean regardless of the whos and hows and what brought Greece to that mess, should sport expenses be considered a "luxury" expense? Wish out beloved sport could find private monetary resources and not depend so much on state support (like the USA???)

Re: No more track and field in Greece?

The Greeks have no one to blame but themselves
    http://boingboing.net/2010/05/04/satell ... s-cat.html

Comment

That linked article isn't dated, but note that it's from May of 2010 (I read it then, may have even posted it here).

Comment

The president of the Greek federation today in a press conference more or less repeated the same thing that they received a cut of 4,000,000 euros in the last 2 years and they basically have no money for anything. They may also lose some sport centers that were available to track and field athletes (to live and practice) because the goverement is thinking of selling the facilities -to foreigners!- for different development (Agios Kosmas sport center by the sea...).

Comment

I don't have time to go looking for cites, but it has been well documented for years that tax avoidance in Greece has been a serious national problem. And, of course, it's now become an international problem.

Comment

One of my favourite meetings- Athens Super Gran Prix(as it was once called) doesn't exist, for years now. Seems like all the Greek smaller meets are facing the same.

Comment

Working...
            X