Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Adams

With his -1.1 20.10 yesterday at Miami, his anchor leg for Auburn's 38.30 4x1, and his 6.55 60m to beat Demps at 60m this guy looks like he could be a dark horse for an Olympic berth and I would have to think he would be in the relay pool as of today. This looks like a case of a high school superstar/former football player rounding into form and showing his true potential in track.

Re: Harry Adams

and beating NCAA indoor champ Ameer Webb by 0.42 in the process!

Comment

And laying a pretty good beating on Demetrius Pinder, who isn't a slouch himself.

Comment

Adams' old PR? Would you believe 20.74?

Comment

This thread keeps reminding of a book I read not that long ago: The Education of Henry Adams. I doubt there is any relation.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
            With his -1.1 20.10 yesterday at Miami, his anchor leg for Auburn's 38.30 4x1, and his 6.55 60m to beat Demps at 60m this guy looks like he could be a dark horse for an Olympic berth and I would have to think he would be in the relay pool as of today. This looks like a case of a high school superstar/former football player rounding into form and showing his true potential in track.
            And hopefully this is also a success story of an athlete making a mistake, and working hard to turn things around after being given a second chance (albeit in a different sport).

Comment

20.10 -1.1 in April means that he is very close for to get sub20.
              We will see if he can get place in trials, i see it possible :wink: (favourites of course Spearmon and Dix)

Comment

The obvious question is, of course: can he improve, or hold steady, or did he peak too early?

Comment

Originally posted by gktrack
                  He ran 21.01 as a 16 year old, so he's got some talent for sure. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him this Olympic year.
                  Did he take off 4 years to play football or was he injured? IAAF has a huge gap in his running history.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                    Originally posted by gktrack
                    He ran 21.01 as a 16 year old, so he's got some talent for sure. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him this Olympic year.
                    Did he take off 4 years to play football or was he injured? IAAF has a huge gap in his running history.
                    The story of Harry Adams is a strange affair. Popped onto the scene his sophomore year of HS running 10.3s and 21.0xs left and right. Then, yes he essentially quit track (only one recorded 100), for football (or was injured), yet I distinctly remember seeing him run some 4x4 legs his junior year (always good for a low 47 split, at that). Disappeared his senior year of HS, went to Auburn.. didn't run his freshman year... but was then kicked off the football team.. so, I guess he figured he'd start running again... and BAM.. 2 years later.. midseason 20.10 into a headwind. To his credit, he's been injured a bit, and apparently kept at it.

Comment

Originally posted by kellits2gnv
                      The story of Harry Adams is a strange affair. Popped onto the scene his sophomore year of HS running 10.3s and 21.0xs left and right. Then, yes he essentially quit track (only one recorded 100), for football (or was injured), yet I distinctly remember seeing him run some 4x4 legs his junior year (always good for a low 47 split, at that). Disappeared his senior year of HS, went to Auburn.. didn't run his freshman year... but was then kicked off the football team.. so, I guess he figured he'd start running again... and BAM.. 2 years later.. midseason 20.10 into a headwind. To his credit, he's been injured a bit, and apparently kept at it.
                      I kinda knew all that, but thanks for summing it up so succinctly. I don't know if it's just a Florida sprinting thing, but that sad story seems to repeat itself very often down here, with only small variations on the theme.

Comment

There is more money in being an average NFL player than there is being anything less than an Olympic gold medalist in track.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
                          There is more money in being an average NFL player than there is being anything less than an Olympic gold medalist in track.
                          While, this is true, I'm not sure it's a valid explanation for the Harry Adams affair because he stopped running before he even got to college and could realistically dream of the NFL. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as if most high school studs continue running through college and then pick the nfl over track, or their development is stunted by their involvement in football.

Comment

Working...
                          X