X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How arrogant can Marion get?

This arrogant:

FROM LA TIMES ARTICLE...
    Asked about it again Thursday, she said, " … I have never accepted, nor taken, nor been offered any performance-enhancing drugs by anyone. And that's, you know, that's what I'm going to stick by. That's the truth. And so — that's how it is."

The New York Times reported last month that a $7,350 check went to BALCO from Jones' account in September 2000. The newspaper also reported, citing "two people familiar with the check," that it had been signed by C.J. Hunter, her former husband who tested positive four times in 2000 for the banned steroid nandrolone.

Asked about the check, Jones said, "I've already stated that I knew nothing about a check. I never signed, endorsed, agreed upon or knew anything about a check…. We'll have to leave it at that."

Pressed by a reporter to explain how a husband could write a $7,350 check without his wife knowing about it, she said, "I think, and I'm not one to boast, but I think perhaps I make a little bit more money than you. And probably your wife. So a $7,000 check, a $33,000 check, a $200,000 check, you know, might mean nothing to me. It might mean the world to you.

"To not get into further detail — that's where I am with that."

Re: How arrogant can Marion get?

Never was much of a Marion fan, now i've lost all respect for the woman.

Comment

I'm not sure why you think her statement is arrogant and why you've lost all respect for her? Seriously, everything she has said is entirely possible, and even likely in light of the person to whom she was married.

Comment

>I'm not sure why you think her statement is arrogant and why you've lost all
        >respect for her? Seriously, everything she has said is entirely possible, and
        >even likely in light of the person to whom she was married.

I agree with steve's comments. And as is often the case, her comments might sound more arrogant in reading it printed than it sounded verbally.

Comment

Is it not possible that a husband and wife might have separate bank accounts and their own cheque books ??

Comment

It's not arrogance if it is a fact. Is arrogance an indictable offence now? Maybe she thought it was a stupid question(which it was) and she responded in kind. My wife and I have a joint account and I could write a cheque on it for a much larger sum than we are taking about here and she wouldn't know a thing about it.

Comment

I join the chorus of Marion's fans. When you are constantly hounded by reporters who ask you the same question over again, most would snap back much harder.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Sorry, but whether in print or verbalized, that was a totally arrogant manner in which to respond to those questions ...

To state basically that she makes so much money that it means nothing to her is arrogant ... Why should she pay attention to how much money is going out because there is so much more is an arrogant (as well as ignorant) way to approach her finances - let alone to verbalize that position to others ...

And simply becasue she didn't sign it is a weak excuse ... Both could go to the store to buy groceries but only one is going to sign the check when they get to the counter ... And unless their account required both to sign a check in order for it to get paid, I'm sure only one of them sat down to pay the bills and sign the checks ... So not having her signature on the check is kinda weak ...

Comment

This is by far not an arrogant comment. Its just the blunt reality. $7300 to a professional athlete making millions. Is like a non millionaire spending $7.30, your just not gonna notice if its gone. Marion is by far the greatest female athlete of our day, if not arguably in history. This is just another example of people going after the person on top.

Comment

>Sorry, but whether in print or verbalized, that was a totally arrogant manner
                    >in which to respond to those questions ...

Like Pego says, stupid questions can get a little tiresome and she snapped back. Not very pr savvy but we know she can be weak in that area.

To state basically that she
                    >makes so much money that it means nothing to her is arrogant ... Why should she
                    >pay attention to how much money is going out because there is so much more is
                    >an arrogant (as well as ignorant) way to approach her finances - let alone to
                    >verbalize that position to others ...

She may have "paid attention" to her finances by letting a spouse she trusted look after them. There are a lot of families like that.

And simply becasue she didn't sign it
                    >is a weak excuse ... Both could go to the store to buy groceries but only one
                    >is going to sign the check when they get to the counter ... And unless their
                    >account required both to sign a check in order for it to get paid, I'm sure
                    >only one of them sat down to pay the bills and sign the checks ... So not
                    >having her signature on the check is kinda weak ...

Maybe either one of them could sign and he looked after the finances and signed them all. Sounds like an efficient use of her time since she was more of the bread winner.

I'm not saying that there is no there there but what the average reporter(particularly a T&F one :-)) living a quiet life of desperation can't appreciate is the rich-well-they aren't like you and me.

Comment

If you can put yourself in her place - hounded by people trying to bring her down, and they ask you a question like that, isn't it likely that you'll give an exasperated answer, which on the surface is just the plain way you feel, but once published LOOKS arrogant. I will definitely give her the benefit of the doubt here. It's only going to get worse for her as the Oly buidup continues and the Balco affair festers.

Comment

"Let me tell you something about the very rich. They are different from you and me...."
                        F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1926

Comment

>"Let me tell you something about the very rich. They are different from you
                          >and me...."
                          F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1926

Very good gh but I actually mixed two quotes in there.

Comment

>If you can put yourself in her place - hounded by people trying to bring her
                            >down, and they ask you a question like that, isn't it likely that you'll give
                            >an exasperated answer,

The funny thing is that we likely got the toned down answer. I'd post what she was probably thinking about saying but it would get yanked.

Comment

Sooner or later Marion will be called into court to testify under oath whether or not she has used performance-enhancing drugs.

If she testifies that she didn't that will square things with me, unless she is later charged and convicted of perjury for her testimony.

For now, just consider me somewhat skeptical. Where there's smoke, you often find fire.

Comment

Working...
                              X