X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Re: OT hammer schedule makes no sense

i have confirmed that it's 9 (nine) to the finals, not 8.

Leave a comment:

• bingisser
    replied

It is my understanding that it will be just a 3+3 format similar to what has been used recently at the USATF championships. All throwers get 3 attempts, and then the top 8 will make it the finals for another 3 attempts. Doing an international style prelim and final would be too much in one day for the hammer (only the shot put typically stages both in one day). The reason I think they list a separate time for the final is so that spectators can show up just to watch the final if they would like (assuming it is on time, although they may just wait if they are done early to stay on schedule which sucks for the athletes).

It's quite a shame because Americans rarely get to use this format and more practice with it can't hurt. Plus, the finals of international format is more interesting: the stress of qualifying is gone and a small group show up to battle. It's easy to tell who is in what place since it is just one flight and done in an hour, rather than 3 hours with multiple flights and athletes needing to rewarm up after pauses. But these are the limitations of taking it outside the normal OT venue and their likely isn't the option of doing it over two days.

It sounds like they are at least starting to put more thought into other parts of planning this event and there should be a good crowd. Since writing a call to action last week (http://www.mbingisser.com/2012/04/so...s-hammer-time/), USATF has updated their webpage and sent out a notice to some of the press saying there will be a free shuttle between Eugene and Beaverton. Things are heading in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Yes, the famous Coburg Inn.

As an undergraduate I use to frequent a bar not far from there that had a regular poker game. I learned hold'em there. I don't know if it was legal or not but I made enough there to pay the rent. Which wasn't much in those days, 100 a month for a small 2 bedroom house 3 blocks from Hayward.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

At the '75 AAU a group of us went to the Coburg Inn and had their famous beer-cheese soup. I believe it was the only time in Cordner Nelson's life that alcohol crossed his lips.

When we came out (others had not been so strict in their consumption) there was a cop parked right across the street. Nobody wanted to get behind the wheel. So we hemmed and we hawed, and he glared at us more and more. Finally, he got out of the car and we went "oh shit!" He surreptitiously slipped around the back and into the restaurant. It was closing time and we figured out he was sparking one of the waitrons and he finally risked blowing his cover.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Whoa! Interesting story. Coburg, and just north of Eugene.....

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

speed trap:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/archiv ... 95860.html

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Originally posted by Conor Dary
    An easy 2 hour drive...
    well perhaps "easy"; i was nebulous because while most of the drive is on I-5, which is predictable, once you get to surface streets, different times of the day produce different results. Even in bucolic Oregon!

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

An easy 2 hour drive. A few months ago I did the Portland Airport to Eugene route and that was 2 hours with no problems.

Don't know about the speed trap. Where is that? Probably between Salem and Corvallis.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

confirmed: hammer (only) is just like what has been done at USATF for last few years (unfortunately): two flights of 12, 3 throws each; top 9 get 3 more throws.

Beaverton/Nike is pegged as "2-hour drive" from Eugene. (and one of the sections of I-5 between the two was once tagged as the speed-trap capital of the planet as i recall)

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

How far is Nike headquarters, where the hammer trials are being held, from Eugene anyway?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

I don't have complete confirmation yet, but it looks as if the hammer will be done differently from all the other field events at the OT, and indeed be run like non-OT years, which means two flights of 12 getting 3 throws, then the best 9 getting 3 more.

so it's not really a qualifying round at all.

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied

i would suspect ALL get 3 throws, them top 12 get the final 3

that;s the only thing that makes any sense to me

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

maybe whoever made the schedule is planning on running the hammer like non-OT years, with 3 throws in two flights in Q, then another 3 in the final?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

Sounds like they are confusing qualifying with prelims.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    started a topic OT hammer schedule makes no sense

OT hammer schedule makes no sense

the setup as of now is this

10:45.........wHammer.................... q
    13:00.........wHammer..................... f
    15:00 ......mHammer ................... q
    17:00.........mHammer .................... f

why not both the Q's, then both the finals?

Better for both the fans (who could see both finals without having to give up a whole day).

Better for the athletes, who are in for some heavy duty here.

The 8 who make the final are faced with the prospect of taking as many as 9 throws in as little as what, 2.5 hours? They're going to go straight from the Q to the final, with perhaps only minutes in between? Did somebody think this was a flights situation, where by the Q is 3 throws and the F is another 3?

Even if they have two rings and throw simultaneously (and I've not heard that), you're still only going to get an hour between the end of the Q and the start of the F.

or am I missing something?

ps--I also note this, USATF Rule 180:

<<5. If the Games Committee deems it necessary, a separate qualifying competition may precede the competition proper to determine which of the athletes entered in the event shall compete in the competition proper.
    (a) In Championship competition, when sixteen (16) or more competitors entered report prior to the qualifying competition, qualifying rounds shall be held.
    (b) Twelve (12) competitors and ties that remain ...shall advance to the competition proper.>>

The OT schedule is currently listed as taking only 9 to the final (in the hammers only).
Working...
X