X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "spoilers" on the front page

we got a letter today saying this

<<o the Editors:

I was disappointed to see the re-appearance of notable performances in brackets in the "Latest Results" event links. I often use the listings as a reference to which events have recently taken place. This allows one to click through to official results data or even seek out video of the event when available. By putting noteworthy performances in brackets, something one cannot avoid seeing by merely glancing at the list, the reader is already exposed to the most exceptional result or results for that event. It kind of ruins the suspense for me in either browsing full results or being able to watch video. I understand staying away from the message boards when results are posted in the subject title, but it seems a shame to have to do the same with what is really the best 'calendar' of links to events on the site.>>

Anybody else have strong feelings one way or another?

Re: &quot;spoilers&quot; on the front page

My feelings are not as strong, but I often am busy at the time an event runs (e.g., DL on Fridays). Having the winners/marks in the thread title immediately does mean that the suspense it taken out of watching later. One possibility is putting the marks/result in the title can be held off for 24+ hours and then added. I will just avoid LetsRun because thread titles will fill the board listing almost immediately in the running events.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      we got a letter today saying this

Anybody else have strong feelings one way or another?
      I have to agree with the writer. As I am unable to watch most DL events live do to work, so I avoid the internet to make sure I don't know the out comes, until I'm able to watch them. The results posted in the title makes it so I must avoid this board until after I've scene the events.

It's not a hardship, but I do avoid selecting the links from here, as I don't want to spoil the events. So, if you want me to connect via TFN's links then the results need to be removed from the titles. (I don't know if you recieve benefits from having your viewers connect to links from TFN's site.)

Comment

to clarify: the discussion was never about this board. It was about the Results Links box in the upper right corner of our front page.

As for this board, spoilers are definitely the name of the game, and there will never be any attempt to reign in the use thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          to clarify: the discussion was never about this board. It was about the Results Links box in the upper right corner of our front page.
          As for this board, spoilers are definitely the name of the game, and there will never be any attempt to reign in the use thereof.
          Depends on what kind of user one is of this site. I'd guess most habitu├ęs would NOT want the spoilers, but occasional drop-bys wouldn't care.

Rein, reign, rain, go away and come back another deigh.

Comment

Life's busy enough for me that I almost never mind spoilers anywhere on this website. In fact, they alert me to results I sometimes might not otherwise see for awhile. If I really don't want to know, I avoid the website that day. Case in point, the 2004 OG men's 1500. Watched it that evening w/o knowing the outcome. THAT was fantastic.

Comment

Whenever I can't watch something live and don't want to know the outcome, I just avoid any site which could divulge any results or news. It's not difficult to do and it solves the problem.
              http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Many times an article with the title of a specific top performance is displayed in the Todays Top Headlines section, so if you can see the results section, chances are the headlines are in your view as well.

Comment

Working...
                X