Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ remeasured 6 inches shorter at Mt. SAC. No Mexican record

Mt. SAC had an interesting glitch in the long jump Saturday: a measurement of 8.35 (a little over 27-4) for Luis Alberto Rivera that was announced as a Mexican national record. The guy went wild! Fun to watch him emote.

Then they brought out the steel tape for the official confirmation. Oops. It was 8.22 (about 26-11) — almost 6 inches off. No national record. It was a centimeter short.

See my photos on that incident and other storytelling shots at this gallery:
    http://patch.com/A-s663

K E N
    K E N

Re: LJ remeasured 6 inches shorter at Mt. SAC. No Mexican re

Can imagine how it hurt a guy, even at the stadium announcer had to announce 8.37.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR8WMoXQcZk

Comment

As is now believe these results? :?
      8,22 -2,2 Luis Rivera MEX
      8,09 0,0 Yohei Sugai JPN
      8,06 -0,9 Ashton Eaton USA
      8,05 -0,8 Greg Rutherford GBR
      8,05 -0,8 Norris Frederick USA
      8,00 -0,5 Rikiya Saruyama JPN

Six athletes over 8.00, this is the first time in history Mt. SAC.

Comment

Are we sure that the glitch was confined to that one jump? Is it possible that some (or maybe even all) of the other jumps were subject to that same glitch, whatever it might have been?

Comment

My post from another topic, and in a few words about a possible error.
          Originally posted by gennady
          Clarification on Mt SAC men's LJ.
          Yesterday the video was available
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E70spwbsLu8
          There's the stadium announcer declared as a result of Luis Rivera 8.37/27 '5.00 '.
          The announcement was in metric units, and in imperial.
          TV commentator confirmed both results, but in protocol of competition is 8.22.
          Does anyone who watched the live broadcasting, to say which result was on tv titles?
          8.37 m = 27' 5?"
          27' 5" = 8.35 m
          If we measured 27'0 .50 ", and wrongly declared 27'5 .00", the metric value should be 27'0 .50"= 8.24.
          But the 8.22 m = 26 '11? "
          Does anyone can explain this?
          Admissible one person measures the result of imperial units of 27'0 .50 ".
          and said "twenty-seven, zero, five".
          The other, which entered data in to protocol(computer), does not hear the word "zero" and introduces az "twenty-seven and five (27'5 .00 ")".
          The video can be seen as a judge looks at the result of double and only after that announcement sounds.
          If everything happened as I guess, it still should have been declaring the result of 8.35(after convertion).
          If the result is measured in metric units, the "eight, two, two" and "eight, three, seven" sound so that it is impossible to confuse.
          In short a very obscure bug. :shock:

Comment

lonewolf might address that. At Wisconsin meets we use a sliding bar that is calibrated into a distance from the board. So, it could be a systematic error. I would be surprised, as they are always pretty careful. If it was my pit and we had that re-measurement I would have checked the calibration twice to see if it was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
              lonewolf might address that. At Wisconsin meets we use a sliding bar that is calibrated into a distance from the board. So, it could be a systematic error. I would be surprised, as they are always pretty careful. If it was my pit and we had that re-measurement I would have checked the calibration twice to see if it was correct.
              I did not understand what kind of slider, you say.
              Look at the video, there was the usual roulette.

Comment

That is not the setup we use indoors. There, they have an aluminum bar that is calibrated. From that mount a laser is used to point at the mark in the pit. The calibration than yield the mark directly upon reading it. It is quite fast when done by the guys that do this all of the time.

The pit at Mt SAC was just using tapes. It does look like they are still measuring when the athlete throws his arm up in triumph (41 seconds). However, it is after that that the official speaks to the announcer and the announcement is made in metric (about 60 seconds). So it seems less likely that the 27 5 ... 27 0.5 error was made as suggested above.

He does seem to turn the tape over, possibly to get the Imperial and Metric measures.

lonewolf???

Comment

Thanks for posting the video. Clearly the athlete reacts right away to the tape reading. Unless the official in the pit adjusted the placing of the mark, I am not sure what happened, or how a tape could be off by .15 like that.

Comment

I think that the official might still be adjusting the tape at 40 seconds when the athlete sees the measurement being made and runs off.

Comment

Hard to tell from here.. there can be misunderstanding when calling out Imperial but, presumably, the distance was announced in metric.. I cannot imagine a 15 cm difference in the fiberglass tape versus the steel tape..I have seen instances where tape was read from the wrong edge of the take off board but that creates a 20 cm difference...which is closer to the 15 cm reduction..
                      Those rail mounted lasers and pointers are ok if properly calibrated and operated but check the batteries before you start,, week batteries lead to screwy readings that may not be detectable unless they are really off.. (A few years ago, we caught one when a coach objected that his kid could not jump that far.. he was right, the readings were bouncing around a 90 cm range.. fortunately, he was the second jumper.. we changed batteries)
                      Also, you have to check both sides of the tape when announcing distances in both metric and Imperial.. some tapes have different zero points on opposite sides..
                      Another possibility.. the landing mark was lost or changed between measuring with the two tapes.
                      My favourite measuring method is the optical scope on a rail.. no problem with lumps and sags in the sand, perpendicularity of the tape to board, inconsistent tension.. and measuring from wrong side of board.

Comment

Lonewolf, please look at this video
                        and then voice your opinion. Perhaps you will find the point where the error occurred.

Comment

We can speculate endlessly but I don't think we can pin point the problem from this video.
                          The pit marker official moved quickly to the mark but we do not see what happened before of when the steel tape was brought out. Depending on how the tape is fastened to the marking pin there can be momentary snarls that will add two or three cms but that is not obvious here,. the tape appears to be settled before the board judge reads it,, at great length..
                          The tape puller is, imo, too close to the board for optimum judgement of tape angle.. the tape pullers primary function so far as measuring is to ensure the correct meter is called, not to the cm. on the other hand, she is close enough to also read the tape,
                          When possible, I like to have two sets of eyes on the measurement..when the mark is very near a meter mark. It is not uncommon to call the wrong meter,, especially if reading upside down.That did not happen here; just an example of what can go wrong.
                          I used to know most of the CA LJ officials before they all died or retired but cannot identify the board judge or I would simply ask him what happened.. maybe someone on this forum knows the judge.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X