X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John G
    replied
    Re: Gatlin runs 20.11

Off the top of my head, the closest comparison I can think of to Gatlin is Nehemiah. He also had 4 years out and spent the next 6 trying to get back to the top. 13.19 and world ranked #4 was a great achievement but still way short of the heights he'd previously scaled.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

Originally posted by gh
    I'm not sure there's a harder thing in sports than to restart a cold engine.
    I used to think that - until one reached 29yo, an engine restart was the easiest thing in the book, because all that physical potential is still there, waiting to be re-activated. So when 24-year-olds hung up the spikes, I assumed they could come back and be good as ever - maybe BETTER because the body was spared all the wear and tear of hard training in the interim. I also knew from personal experience that one can stop weight-lifting for a few years and then - rather quickly - get back to the levels one had reached before and SURPASS them.

But . . . the psychological weight of an all-in campaign to be the best again is stupendously high, because when the original 'hunger' subsides, you just can't fake it any more. You actually need MORE hunger the second time around, and for anyone who has experienced the top before, the fire to do aaaaaaaaallllll that work again (and more) is supremely difficult to rekindle and patiently fan into a roaring blaze.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Originally posted by preston
    ... He also deserves no more "credit" than an athlete who retires, or gets injured, and comes back. ...
    You are absolutely correct, but I have to admit to being impressed by any athlete who, for whatever reason, can be out of the game for that long and make it back to world-class. I'm not sure there's a harder thing in sports than to restart a cold engine.

Leave a comment:

• preston
    replied

Originally posted by mrbowie
    Gotta give Gatlin credit for making it all the way back.
    Gatlin deserves no more "credit" than Chambers or Maggi or other athletes busted for PED's. He also deserves no more "credit" than an athlete who retires, or gets injured, and comes back.

The point, that 4 year bans are too short, is proven valid.

Leave a comment:

• mrbowie
    replied

Gotta give Gatlin credit for making it all the way back.

Leave a comment:

• dunedine
    replied

I'm glad that Gatlin has confirmed my views over a year ago on this board that he's going to get back to his best, and I've got a feeling that he may be going even better than he was back in 2004-2005.

He will find quality races to run in Europe, that unofficial ban on former serious doping offenders is not upheld anymore as seen in top DL meets last year and even Dwain Chambers looks set to race in the relay at Crystal Palace if cleared to run in the Olympics (which he will).

But anyway I don't think any high-ranked sprinter in the world will be racing too much leading up to their national trials everywhere around - US, Jamaica et al.

As concerns the US vs JAM rivalry in the short relay, I don't think the Jamaicans have any languished but the American quartet looks set to be the strongest in years. If all four can arrive fully fit in London, then I reckon a line-up of Gatlin-Spearmon-Gay-Dix can take on the Jamaicans on equal terms.

Last, the only reason the US didn't pass the baton round in Daegu, cos they looked as though they would hand over first off the final bend despite a depleted team, was HAA's shoulder in the way of Darvis Patton.

Leave a comment:

• JumboElliott
    replied

Merritt ran in a few Diamond League meets too.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied

Originally posted by ZELLGADISS
    Dave the problem is that Gatlin can not run DL in Europe although his race like you tell in Eugene dont give points for DL, you get me? :wink:
    For this people, the banned runners give bad image to his meeting...
    I hope that soon the directors of big meetings in Europe let to Gatlin run there, because im sure that this year he will get sub 9.9
    I suspect we were in violent agreement on the Eugene race. I also agree that I want to see Gatlin run in other DL races. He did his time and he came back.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Whether he can run a given meet, DL or otherwise, is up to individual meet directors. The directors realized that they had put themselves in a potentially poor legal position by jointly excluding him by agreement. This change took place part way through the season.

Leave a comment:

• ZELLGADISS
    replied

Dave the problem is that Gatlin can not run DL in Europe although his race like you tell in Eugene dont give points for DL, you get me? :wink:
    For this people, the banned runners give bad image to his meeting...
    I hope that soon the directors of big meetings in Europe let to Gatlin run there, because im sure that this year he will get sub 9.9

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied

Umm i remember Eugene in DL and Eugene in trials for Gatlin, in Europe Gatlin can not run in DL ,the directors for big meetings there tell that they dont want banned runners...
    The Pre is in fact a DL meet. However, not all of the races are DL and the race Gatlin ran was not DL. I should have said that.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Except that they discovered having an agreed rule created legal issues, so it is not so much written in stone (just blood?). :P

Leave a comment:

• ZELLGADISS
    replied

Umm i remember Eugene in DL and Eugene in trials for Gatlin, in Europe Gatlin can not run in DL ,the directors for big meetings there tell that they dont want banned runners...

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied

Not really Dave.
    DL in Europe is where these old banned athletes can not run.
    In Asia or USA Gatlin or Chambers by example does not have problems for run.
    The last year Gatlin ran in DL Eugene(USA).

Now he will run in Doha DL, Asia.

But i think that the european meetings dont let to run banned runners yet.
    So Gatlin should to try compete in Shanghai DL too hehe.

Regards :wink:
    Gatlin did run in Eugene last year but that race was not DL.

Leave a comment:

• notorious
    replied

Not really Dave.
    DL in Europe is where these old banned athletes can not run.
    In Asia or USA Gatlin or Chambers by example does not have problems for run.
    The last year Gatlin ran in DL Eugene(USA).

Now he will run in Doha DL, Asia.

But i think that the european meetings dont let to run banned runners yet.
    So Gatlin should to try compete in Shanghai DL too hehe.

Regards :wink:
    I think Gatlin ran in Brussels last year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X