Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• online streaming versions of Penn & Drake

URLs for both now posted to front page, but note that both are pay-per view (which I assume means there will be nothing free). Also note that the Penn package does NOT include the USA vs. the World relays on Saturday (because they're on broadcast TV).

Re: online streaming versions of Penn & Drake

For all of those who want to see track (indeed any sports) moved from TV to the web, be careful what you ask for. This pay-as-you-go model, I'm guessing, is the future of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      This pay-as-you-go model, I'm guessing, is the future of it all.

It's great for those who want to watch their child or cousin run in heat 87 of the HS 4x1, but cant get to Philly. But I doubt seriously the world class stuff will ever be pay per view, to the exclusion of network television. Because I guarantee you Penn is making more money off the NBC contract than they will ever make from a pay per view model.
      There are no strings on me

Comment

unless this is another one of those grim deals where USATF is buying time from NBC.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          For all of those who want to see track (indeed any sports) moved from TV to the web, be careful what you ask for. This pay-as-you-go model, I'm guessing, is the future of it all.
          That seems mostly a US thing. Most track meets out of Jamaica are broadcast live (and free) on the internet.

Comment

for now.

Comment

What I will say to those meets considering a pay to view format - if I'm paying the quality better be as good as Millrose was this year(though it's ok if you dont have Gus from Breaking Bad handling infield interviews lol)
              There are no strings on me

Comment

The Drake Relays Mall Vault will be on tonight for $4.95. I don't like the idea of paying $$ to watch a track meet where I might see three vaults, but I will gladly shell out $5 to watch the best pole vaulters in the US and get to see every jump, even though the announcers were horrible last year.

In fact, I paid the $5 just now, even though I am in Germany and can't watch it (too much bandwidth for my Vodafone card).

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                  What I will say to those meets considering a pay to view format - if I'm paying the quality better be as good as Millrose was this year(though it's ok if you dont have Gus from Breaking Bad handling infield interviews lol)
                  I would guess that you're the exception and not the rule. Look at the difference in viewership between Millrose this year and the rest of the indoor series. I think the other meets had somewhere in the range of a million viewers each while Millrose had around 80,000 - and that was without charging for it.

Comment

TV remains the 500-pound (ton?) gorilla in the room. Just last year the NCAA inked a new pact with CBS, recall, for March Madness that's 14 years at a staggering $10.8 billion (with a B).

And go to your local baseball team's website and/or local radio station and try to listen (not WATCH) to a regular-season game (not playoffs). You need to buy the MLB package.

Dreams of a low-cost/no-cost streaming model clearly aren't reading the tea-leaves very well when it comes to where big-league sport is going.

Comment

Well unfortunately it sounds like the webcast of the Drake Relays Mall Vault didn't work for quite a few people who paid for it, and the ones it did work for were treated to terrible announcers like last year.

I'm glad it exists, hope they keep improving it!

Comment

Working...
                      X