Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Götzis meeting 2012

Knobel, Muller or Schrader for final German spot??

Comment

Fine performance by Ennis; she might even get a mention in some of the press in the UK

Comment

Also worth noting how well van Alphen kept his head clear at critical moments. First in the pole vault, where he missed twice at 486 before clearing on his third attempt (and going on to clear 496 as well!) And again in the JT, where he struggled heavily with his first two throws and needed 63+ on his third attempt to stay in contention.

One might even count the shot put, where he improved from 14.89 to 15.23 on his last attempt - not such a big improvement, but it did win him the meet

Comment

Originally posted by dbirds
          Knobel, Muller or Schrader for final German spot??
          Probably, but there are Prey, Niklaus, Brugger though Schrader could go over 8200 very soon.

Comment

Typical of my other half to book me a surprise weekend in Rome, the same weekend as Gotzis. How selfish of him.

It will hopefully be Schrader, as Felix Nobel has a knee injury (hence the DNF) and will possibly not start in Ratingen. According to the DLV, Schrader was suffering with calf cramps on the first day. Also there was that debacle in the 110h where he had to re-run with Garcia which probably cost him points. His NM in the PV was a disaster as he was lying in a good position. Had he done 4.80, he'd have probably been on for a score near 8300. He's just having one week off and then back into preparation for the qualifying. But the PV could again be his undoing as he hasnt done any PV meets since 2010.

Comment

Jess's speed and strength is obviously there, and it was great to have Schippers drag her to that 200m time. Her JT was a good response considering Daegu. My concern would still be the LJ where the first round 6.23 and then a foul left her under pressure; she cannot do this in London. Had she fouled in rd 3 and been left with that 6.23, she'd have scored 90 pts less and I'm not so sure she would have been so relaxed in the JT. She has to get at least a 6.3 in the 1st rd to relax a litlle. I am still worried about Chernova who also looks extremely good. Again, she just need to jump the next height in the HJ and add a little bit in the SP or LJ and she'd be scoring 100 pts more.

Dobrynska has hopefully been able to focus but understanbly she must be going through a terrible time. She may just have been going through the motions here. If only Skyjute could learn to hurdle she'd been a definite medal candidate, rather than need some of the others to falter as Dobrynska and Oeser did here. It was great to see Schwarzkopf back to near her best. She had 2 foulds in the LJ so her last rd safety jump cost her any chance of 3rd place here and she can throw much further in the SP. It doesnt look like either she or Oeser, who was suffering with an achilles injury, will start in Ratingen now they have the qualifier here, however, Claudia Rath (15th with 6189) Maren Schwertdner (17th with 6154) and Julia Machtig (19th in 6110) probably will to battle over the 3rd spot.

Comment

On the men's side, the result would suggest a pretty hard fight for bronze in London. Clay will have his hands full.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella
                  I am still worried about Chernova who also looks extremely good.
                  Me too! She improved by 441 points between Gotzis and Daegu last year. Of course Gotzis this year was closer to the major champs than last year but even so she's proven that she can improve considerably through a season. I still make Chernova favourite and expect her to reach 7000 points.

Comment

I certainly don't have Chernova favourite but I don't think this win means Jess will have it all her own way.

She's going to have to be at her absolute best to claim the gold.

Comment

Jess has to start favourite with this win and being on home soil. The point is as Flumpy says, she needs to be at her best. If either women make an error the other will pounce. The main events where Jess can lose points in London compared to now and still be ok would be the 100mh where a 12.9 would still be good and the 200m where a 22.9-23.1 would be fine. Also, though we want a 1.9 HJ and that would give her a good lead, she's shown that a poor HJ, for her, is still enough. But she can't afford a poor LJ or JT, which are Chernova's strongest events. On the other hand, Chernova cannot afford a poor hurdles or HJ; these were weaker events for her and she has worked hard on these, but a 13.5+ or below 1.82 means she starts off with a big disadvantage.

Comment

Working...
                      X