Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appeals court: Individual colleges to blame for cuts

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1801717

And the death penalty is not applied in a discriminatory fashion against African-Americans.... The power generators didn't gouge consumers during the California energy crisis...

More denial of reality by the courts....

Re: Appeals court: Individual colleges to blame for cuts

This is obviously a hot-button issue (which I don't think was well served by your analogies). While even the most ardent feminists deplore the collateral damage to men's programs, the intent of the law is wholly constitutional. Unfortunately the methods by which the powers-that-be have tried to implement the law have been ludicrously flawed. The intent was to allow equal opportunity, not to force equal representation where it wasn't even warranted.

Comment

Well said, TAFNUT. I agree.

But I also think the net result still ain't right. SF State (and SD State, and others) cut men's track while retaining women's. The courts say that each such case was a decision specific to the campus and unrelated to Title IX. I don't believe it. Both genders deserve equal opportunity.

Of course, I am biased since I have a son rather than a daughter. If the darn kid had just been female a number of colleges would have offered full ride volleyball scholarships (NCAA D-1 teams may offer up to 12 scholarships for women's Vball). Instead, he ran up a lot student loans playing D-1 Vball since men's teams can only offer 3.5 scholarships.

Comment

>(which I don't think was well served by
        >your analogies).

I picked the analogies carefully. Statistical and economic experts have demonstrated conclusively that the courts have been wrong on these decisions, but the judges either fail to understand the analytic nuances, or more likely, recognize the political implications of accepting the correct analytic results. The Title IX effect is analytically similar.

Comment

Could you post a reference to these decisive economic and/or analytical studies?

Comment

I've ranted before about this on darkwing. Until the football issue is dealt with there is no hope that Title IX can or will be implemented in a manner that doesn't hurt men's smaller sports. As long as one men's sport sucks up a hugely disproportionate amount of a finite resource pool some other men's sport will suffer.

Comment

>Could you post a reference to these decisive economic and/or analytical
              >studies?

I don't have an immediate reference to the study that showed that the death penalty is applied disproportionately to the poor and to African-Americans, particularly those who are accused of murdering Caucasians. (I'm currently out of town).

As for the studies on price gouging in California, you've touched my professional expertise. I suggest starting with the U. of California Energy Institute web site, and reviewing the papers on the issue done by Frank Wolak (of Stanford), Severin Borenstein and James Bushnell. Then find the Feb 2002 paper by Paul Joskow and Edward Kahn (I don't have direct website for that one, but you might start at MIT.) Then go to the FERC website, and download the dozen or so filings by the California Parties posted in dockets EL00-95 and EL00-98 on March 3, 2003 (you'll find mine among them.) These filings in total refute the lame excuses put up by Harvey and Hogan in this docket and an earlier set of papers. These analyses demonstrate that there is not other explanation for what occurred in California's markets then. The only possible defense is that theft may have been legal at the time....

Comment

Working...
              X