Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A UCLA/World Superstar is Born!!

>.5 at 700m? I don't have the estimates in front of me (problematic as ever),
    >but that's a little steep, I believe.>>

Actually, it might be too small a number. Huh? Wouldn't make that much difference in a flat 400, but if the greater speed allowed him to hold a shorter stride count for more hurdles, then the change in time COULD (I hasten to note I didn't say would) be extreme.

Comment

hmm, interesting insight - didn't think about stride pattern issues. In that case it could also be a hindrance. As to world lists, they are cleverly hidden at the top of this page under 'lists'.

Comment

Speaking of lists:

There is a small little adjustment which needs to be made to the men:s world indoor 4 x 1,500m record:

4 x 1500+.....16:16.67y.....New York AC (US)....................Hanover, New Hampshire.....1/10/93
        (Brad Horton 4:07.2, Jeff Smith 4:07.3, Brad Schlapak 4:02.8, Bill Burke 3:59.4)

Is this the indoor 4 x mile?

Comment

>hmm, interesting insight - didn't think about stride pattern issues.>>

Stride issues, and what synthetic tracks did in that department are a huge reason why between 1960 (start of the last decade in which there was still mostly dirt tracks) the flat 400 record has dropped 1.2 seconds and the 400H record has dropped 2.4.

Comment

I would have attributed it to a wider range of event participation. I think the differential between flat and hurdle time is now down to where it should have been, but wasn't due to lack of numbers vis-a-vis flat quartermilers.

Comment

Didn:t the last two AR/WR holders (Moses, Young) in the 400m hurdles specialize in a certain step pattern outside of what is normally employed?

Comment

Reply to Reply to

>I read that on the Pac-10 recap that 48.85 was the fastest this year<

Don't believe everything you read on college or conference websites. They are notoriously prone to inaccuracy when it comes to track stats.

The tilastopaja and iaaf websites both keep current year lists. Although they are not always in synch, and both will have an occasional error, they certainly agree on such basics as where a 48.85 would stand this year.

Comment

Re: Reply to Reply to

Moses 13-stepped all the way and Young was adept at 13 and 14 strides. Others have too, but not with the same success.

Comment

World Best list 2004

"As to world lists, they are <<cleverly hidden>>
                    at the top of this page under 'lists'."

Ya thanks -- but I must say your sarcasm leaves a bit of sour taste -- as i browsed those lists (indeed clearly showing 48.85 behind 4 other men) what occurred to me is that the pac10 writer somehow might have gotten confused with Monique Henderson, the UCLA woman who ran a blistering 50.90 400 on Saturday. That gives her the fastest time of the year by .19 and she broke the school record of one Florence Griffith (yes that one) by .04 Amazingly, Henderson's PR is actually 50.40 set in H.S. in 2000 (at the time a HS record).

Here is the quote from the college sports.com website:
                    "....And, true freshman Brandon Johnson won the 400m hurdles in a world leading and personal best time of 48.85..."

All in all, mistakes notwithstanding, some good times for some up and coming bruins.

Comment

Re: World Best list 2004

"your sarcasm leaves a bit of sour taste"

Point taken. I totally apologize - it was a lame attempt at humor.

Comment

Her then-HSR was actually 50.74.

Comment

Did not Kevin Young use 12 and 13 step pattern in many of his races?

Comment

In the T&FN report of his WR, he said he wanted a 13-stride pattern, but sometimes a 12 would creep in. His 46.78 is reported as being 13 all the way.

Comment

on the UCLA kid....
                              i was in the race...i dont know how he did it, but he did....as far as the other collegiates....he went out way faster then say ricky harris who is probably the ncaa favorite, so those guys shouldnt bother him, they'll have to run him down...as far as the altitude, it was at UofA, if it was such a facter then adjustments would have been made, as far as it making him run over half a second faster, if that was the case then the air must have been extra thin in his lane....and if it did something to his stride pattern that would hurt not help.....kevin young is like 6 ft 5 and knows nothing about anyones 14 steps..even 5ft9 brandon jonhnson 13 steps

Comment

>Speaking of lists:

There is a small little adjustment which needs to be made
                                >to the men:s world indoor 4 x 1,500m record:

4 x 1500+.....16:16.67y.....New
                                >York AC (US)....................Hanover, New Hampshire.....1/10/93
                                (Brad
                                >Horton 4:07.2, Jeff Smith 4:07.3, Brad Schlapak 4:02.8, Bill Burke
                                >3:59.4)

Is this the indoor 4 x mile?

Until some team runs faster than 16:16.67 for the 4x1500 (never?), the mark stands as the indoor record for both events. Probably stats "overkill" by listing it as the 4x1500 record.

Comment

Working...
                                X