• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sprint Speed in the 400m

Originally posted by gibson
    Originally posted by gm
    Originally posted by chivez
    If you want to run sub 43s, you run the first half in 21.5s approx and then bring it home.
    Are you sure you want to stick with that answer? Really? Negative split a sub43 400. Alrighty then.
    this is a sweet reply. keep at it chivez, you'll figure it out.

here is your homework, check out the splits in all quality world class 400m, then come back and comment.
    He's never going to figure it out because he can't admit that he's wrong or that he just made a mistake or miscalculation or, most likely, that he just has no clue. Think dunedine. No one who knows anything about track and field is going to attempt to debate that the minimum a 43.9s 400m runner can run for 200m is 21.9. It would mean that an athlete would have to run his PB for the first half and within .01 of his PB, 22.0, for the second half. It's beyond presposterous on so many levels.

Comment

Hi Preston,

Just querying your post. "No one who knows anything about track and field is going to attempt to debate that the minimum a 43.9s 400m runner can run for 200m is 21.9."

Do you mean anyone who knows about track? I am going to presume that you do, because otherwise your post contradicts itself.

The minimum a 43.9s 400m runner can run the 200m is 21.9s. What is wrong with that? It is more than likely the 400m runner can run the 200m faster than that, thus 21.9s is the minimum. It is very logical.

Apologies if i've got your post the wrong way round here. But i couldn't help seeing the issue with it.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
        26, sorry, but you have been watching some mediocre relays

I'll throw out Gay and Spearmon as 200 guys who can leg it in a lap.
        Late to the party on this discussion, but I agree with GM here. In a one race format, a sprinter (i.e. someone who runs the 200m competitively) has the footspeed to adjust to whatever needs to be done to win the race (generally). a Great sprinter, can have an out of body experience and do something they may rarely if ever duplicate. As GM said, Gay and spearman were on the 4x400 at Arkansas, and I think they ran 3:02 or something along those lines. Dwight Phillips used to run great legs at ASU. An 800 runner, who doesnt have the footspeed can only accomplish so much.

So for one race, I'd take the sprinter. If Im running rounds, I'd probably have the 800m runner on there, and maybe have the sprinter run the final if I felt it was going to be that close. Mind you, the Sprinter needs to have a serious competitive gene. The "Im not going to get embarassed out here, I dont care WHAT i have to run" type of mentality.

Comment

Working...
        X