Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kimberlyn Duncan 22.22 +0.1

Originally posted by Blues
    I don't know if she received other major conference scholarship offers, but I do know that she already had her heart set on attending LSU when she was still a junior, when she was running well above 24 sec and often 25.xx secs. Her PR in 2008 was 24.33 in late summer after her junior year. She signed with LSU during the early signing period in February of 2009, and didn't run her eye catching sub 24 times until late May of 2009, almost 4 months after she'd already signed with LSU.
    But LSU showed interest in her before she ran her "eye catching" times. If LSU was the only offer she had on the table on signing day, it's pretty easy to understand why she would have her heart set on LSU. By the way, what do you mean by "the early signing period"? The first Wednesday in February has always been THE signing day for high school seniors as far back as I can remember.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
      Originally posted by jazzcyclist
      Did you know that LSU was the only major-conference (FBS) division I school that offered her a scholarship? How could both Texas and Texas A&M miss on her TD?
      How do you know this? any Link/news?

Jazzy is right! LSU is the first to offer Kimberly a "full" scholarship. I think that's why Texas went after her younger sister Kiersten this season, hoping that she will turn out somewhat like Kimberly.

Comment

Originally posted by Blues
        I don't know if she received other major conference scholarship offers, but I do know that she already had her heart set on attending LSU when she was still a junior, when she was running well above 24 sec and often 25.xx secs. Her PR in 2008 was 24.33 in late summer after her junior year. She signed with LSU during the early signing period in February of 2009, and didn't run her eye catching sub 24 times until late May of 2009, almost 4 months after she'd already signed with LSU.
        But LSU showed interest in her before she ran her "eye catching" times. If LSU was the only offer she had on the table on signing day, it's pretty easy to understand why she would have her heart set on LSU. By the way, what do you mean by "the early signing period"? The first Wednesday in February has always been THE signing day for high school seniors as far back as I can remember.
        If the case is that LSU got her before she ran the incredible times, that's way different than saying LSU was the only offer. If she had herself set to go there, by the time she started running way faster the other schools didn't have an opportunity to recruit her.
        But much credit to them for recognizing such great talent.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
          If the case is that LSU got her before she ran the incredible times, that's way different than saying LSU was the only offer. If she had herself set to go there, by the time she started running way faster the other schools didn't have an opportunity to recruit her.
          You're making a distinction without significance. By the time she ran fast enough to get anyone's attention, signing day was already three month's past. It would have been too late for any other schools to offer her a scholarship at that time because the recruiting period for high school seniors was over. Who knows what she might have done if Texas or Texas A&M had offered her a scholarship? LSU recruited her sister but she chose Texas.

The unpopular girls are always anxious about getting invited to the prom, and when they finally get an invite, long after all the popular girls are have been taken, they accept it immediately, even if it's from a nerd with coke bottle glasses and a pocket protector. But if they happen to get invited by one of the most popular jocks on campus, they're ecstatic. LSU is the quarterback of the football team, not the captain of the chess team.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
            You're making a distinction without significance. By the time she ran fast enough to get anyone's attention, signing day was already three month's past. It would have been too late for any other schools to offer her a scholarship at that time because the recruiting period for high school seniors was over. Who knows what she might have done if Texas or Texas A&M had offered her a scholarship? LSU recruited her sister but she chose Texas.

The unpopular girls are always anxious about getting invited to the prom, and when they finally get an invite, long after all the popular girls are have been taken, they accept it immediately, even if it's from a nerd with coke bottle glasses and a pocket protector. But if they happen to get invited by one of the most popular jocks on campus, they're ecstatic. LSU is the quarterback of the football team, not the captain of the chess team.

Agreed. Someone did their homework!

Comment

I only used the term "early signing period" because the LSU recruiting press release from February of 2009 also did. My bad.

"The LSU track and field teams have signed nine athletes to their roster for the 2010 season during the early spring signing period, coach Dennis Shaver announced today."

http://www.lsureveille.com/track-and-fi ... 8TqGM3q6PU
              The main point that I wanted to make was that Kimberlyn improved almost a full second in the 200 in May 2009, several months AFTER she'd already signed with LSU, which could help explain why she may not have received additional D1 major conference offers if that was the case. Props to LSU for recognizing her potential.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                You're making a distinction without significance. By the time she ran fast enough to get anyone's attention, signing day was already three month's past. It would have been too late for any other schools to offer her a scholarship at that time because the recruiting period for high school seniors was over.
                I'm not sure I understand that part and maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't the NCAA recruiting/signing period for track and field last until the end of July, or was it different in 2009? Or did you mean that most schools have already used up their available scholarships by late May when Kimberlyn ran her 23.xx's?

Comment

Jaz I understand what you are saying, but in your original comment:
                  Did you know that LSU was the only major-conference (FBS) division I school that offered her a scholarship? How could both Texas and Texas A&M miss on her TD?
                  You say Texas and TA&M didn't give her and offer. How can they give her an offer if (if what Blues said is true) she is already committed and had her heart set on going to LSU before she was running "fast" during her junior year for them to have interest in giving a offer?
                  LSU is the smart one for recognizing the potential and talent before she really showed it, which could be considered a risk to many.
                  You make it seem as if she was running blazing fast times and none of those schools took notice.

If girl already says she is going to the prom with the quarterback, months before prom, are the wide receivers and running backs still going to waste their time?

Comment

Here's the link to the NCAA's explanation of signing dates and national letters of intent (NLI).

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/85b ... 1ad6fc8b25

For each sport there is a signing period, but for all practical purposes, there's just a signing date at the big-time division 1-A schools, like LSU that try to get all there NLI's in on the first of the signing period, rather than drag the recruiting process out to the end of signing period. Football and track & field coincidentally have the same signing date which is the first Wednesday of February. Verbal commitments mean nothing as for as the NCAA is concerned, but after an athlete sends in his/her NLI, other schools are not allowed to recruit or contact him/her. Therefore, it would have been illegal for other schools to go after Duncan after she started running fast times.

Any coach can recruit athletes who are showing up on everybody's radar screen, but a great talent evaluator can recognize talent that's flying below the radar. Recruiting Xavier Carter was a no-brainer, but recruitung Richard Thompson, whose high school PR was 10.66, was not.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster
                      Originally posted by 26mi235
                      Originally posted by j-a-m
                      English Gardner doesn't even run the 200m at NCAAs, only 100m (plus relays). I guess that's also because of the Olympics, or is there another reason?
                      Her 100 is (a fair bit) better than her 200. I do not think she has any marks in the 22s, and for someone just above 11.0 (wind-legal), that is a big difference.
                      Gardner's a starter rather than a finisher and her 200m PBs demonstrate that, but 22.82 is good, its in the same league as Angela Williams or Gail Devers who are similar types. Apart from Jetter, there are two places on the US team and with Madison, Felix and Duncan perhaps focusing elsewhere, there might be a chance of her to make the individual team.

I would actually be shocked if the 100 wasn't a priority for Madison as it stands right now. I also don't see why Felix and Duncan wouldn't run at trials.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                        How can they give her an offer if (if what Blues said is true) she is already committed and had her heart set on going to LSU before she was running "fast" during her junior year for them to have interest in giving a offer?
                        I'd seen it reported in several places that she'd wanted to go to LSU before her breakthrough Sr. year, but this is from an LSU GOLD article I saw last summer, regarding the London Olympics being 12 months away at the time:

Kimberlyn Duncan, Semoy Hackett and Gabriel Mvumvure were three of LSU’s top performers on the track in 2011, and all are well aware that potentially the biggest track meet of their careers is now just 12 months away.

Three years ago Duncan was a high school junior in Katy, Texas, watching the (Olympic) track and field competition on TV, knowing her soon-to-be college was well represented.

“I recorded [the track events] on my TV, so I was up each and every time that there was something with track,” said Duncan. “I was up watching them. Especially knowing there were LSU athletes out there competing, I was looking at that going ‘I know I’m going to that school, and I’m going to be able to see those people who were once there.’ It was really exciting to see everyone out there running, knowing eventually I was going to be at that school running under that name.”
                        (Aug. 2008, before start of Sr. year, after running new PR of 24.33 in late July)

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                          As a college track & field fan........., it would be great to have her come back for her senior year, despite the fact that it might get boring seeing her beat up on college girls. However, as a pro trac'k fan........, I hope she blows up so big in the next couple of months that NIKE, Adidas or Puma will make her an offer that she can't refuse.
                          Me too.

These type stories are what its all about.

The only negative is when homegrown Texas talent goes to LSU :x *sigh*
                          Wow...no I didn't know that. I'm not sure how but if she's in London, heads (asst coach?) may roll!
                          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by fasttrack85
                            I also don't see why Felix and Duncan wouldn't run at trials.
                            I agree.

And if AF can drop her pr to 10.8ish, VCB will have some rude company coming off the bend :shock: .
                            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Track had a separate early signing only a few years ago, I'm not sure when the change was made to only one period. Not that long ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X