Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEC is the dominate conference

Unbelievable track weekend!! Comparing the other conferences, no one can argue that the SEC, top-to-bottom, is the most dominating conference (track/field) in the nation. The qualiying times were increadible and what Craigg did (again), was amazing; 1500 (3:40), 10k, (28:..) and 5K (14:08); oh, don't forget about his prelim time of 3:41 in the 1500. As for Tiff. McWilliams, 2:01:00 and 2:01:96 for a prelim and then final after running a 4:09 in the 1500 (4:13 prelim). All I got to say is "sick." In any case, no other conference can boast like the SEC.

Re: SEC is the dominate conference

I don't pretend to think that the Big 12 has the depth of talent that the SEC does, but there may be as many star talents in the conference overall, especially if you are speaking of American athletes only. Many of the top marks in the SEC have been by foreign athletes getting American educations.

Athletes like Baylor's sophomore Jeremy Wariner (44.80 with a 44.48 wiped out by one bad step) and junior Darold Williamson (44.59), who have the nation's top four times this year in the 400; sophomore Sanya Richards of Texas, in the world top 20 in the 100 (11.31) and 200 (22.73); Texas freshman Andra Manson, a world top 20 high jumper (2.26, 7'5"); sophomore DaBryan Blanton of Oklahoma, reigning NCAA 60 champ and automatic qualifier for the U.S. trials in the 100 at 10.07; Big 12 Freshman of the Year Jessica Eldridge of Oklahoma, who is making a name for herself in the middle distances; Dathan Ritzenhein (not American) of Colorado, who has the nation's top time in the 3000; Jason Woolhouse of Oklahoma State in the 5000 (13:37:36); Jermaine Cooper of Texas (13.68 in the 110 hurdles); Eric Eshbach of Nebraska, (5.70, 18'8.25" in the PV); Nebraska's Carl Myerscough in the shot (20.69, 67'10.25")and discus (63.40, 207'11.5"); freshman Donovan Kilmartin of Texas in the decathlon (7729), and many more top and developing top athletes that I have not named, particularly on the women's side.

I'd compare the top athletes of the Big 12 to any conference, but once past the top 1-4 in events in the Big 12, the depth of the SEC definitely makes it superior overall.

Comment

I would have to agree with you that the Big XII has overall dominance in the 200 and 400. However, to actually compare places 1-4 with those from the SEC is almost "funny." Can you remember the last time 12 runners ran sub-1:50 to try to qualify for an 800 meter collegiate final? Can you remember when the last time 12 runners ran sub 3:50 for the 1500 to qualify for the final? As for the women, can you remember when in the final of the 800 meters, the slowest time was a 2:08? As for the 200 meters, 1-4 was sub 21 (winner: 20.50). As for the 100 meters, 1-3 was under 10.4. (winner: 10.28). As for the women's 400, 1-2, under 51 and 200, 1-2 under 23. I could go on, but this has been a reaccuring "symptom" almost every year; the SEC conference is IT and no one else does. Additionally, go to this site:
      http://www.lsusports.net/ad/sportlink.c ... caaresults
      You will see since 1999, the SEC conference has boasted at least 5 teams in the top 10 at the NCAA championships.

Comment

Did I miss something, is Ritz not American?

Comment

Or dominant -- whatever!

Just having some fun. Point is the SEC is a great track meet.

Comment

Re: Or dominant -- whatever!

I believe the SEC also won 13 out of the 16 collegiate championship relay events at Penn this year. The absence of Texas women helped them do it but this still seems to be the most lopsided result at Penn I can remember.

Comment

You might want to check the numbers as both the SEC and Big 12 men's meets had 11 US champions and 8 International champions (excluding relays). Also, Woolhouse' is International.

Comment

Working...
              X