Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OSLO DL-100Hw: Sally PEARSON AUS 12.49 =WL,MR

I don't know anything about Kristi's injuries, coaching, training, personal life. Just like I don't know about these things for any athlete.
    These are factors for ALL the thousands of athletes out there. We can't know about these things. We can only follow the numbers. And from the thousand of athletes out there, we don't see these kind of numbers.
    Yes, technical improvements can make a big difference. But they don't come overnight either.
    If they did, we would be seeing these massive, overnight improvements regularly. But we don't.
    Especially not after 5 years of no progression.
    Maybe there's some reasonable explanation.....maybe Kristi will tell us. I'm sure all the other hurdlers will want to know too.

By the way, I just checked Kristi's time from last year's Bislett Games - 12.95.
    0.4 faster this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf
      I don't know anything about Kristi's injuries, coaching, training, personal life. Just like I don't know about these things for any athlete.
      These are factors for ALL the thousands of athletes out there. We can't know about these things. We can only follow the numbers. And from the thousand of athletes out there, we don't see these kind of numbers.
      Yes, technical improvements can make a big difference. But they don't come overnight either.
      If they did, we would be seeing these massive, overnight improvements regularly. But we don't.
      Especially not after 5 years of no progression.
      Maybe there's some reasonable explanation.....maybe Kristi will tell us. I'm sure all the other hurdlers will want to know too.

By the way, I just checked Kristi's time from last year's Bislett Games - 12.95.
      0.4 faster this year.
      All those factors are the reason why numbers come to fruition.
      What is your assumption as to why she is improving?

Comment

If you compare their age-bests, Kristi mostly had faster times until age 21 when she plateaued until now.

Sally's back injury just before 2009 WC was the main cause of her own (temporary) plateau.

YR SALLY KRISTI
        17 14.01 13.85
        18 13.30 14.27
        19 13.01 12.91
        20 12.95 12.81
        21 12.71 12.89
        22 12.53 12.83
        23 12.50 12.83
        24 12.57 12.56
        25 12.28
        26 12.49

Sally's supposed to be the best technician of the past 20 years, but Kristi must have at least as good a technique with her sprint PBs a fair bit slower (will have to watch the race again):

SP 11.17 23.02
        KC 11.60 23.43

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
          Look harder.
          Pearson had progression. Castlin didn't.
          And Castlin isn't done this year. Assuming that she is still peaking, she will drop her times even further. Going from 5 years of no progression to .40 or .45 improvement in one year?!
          From a good collegiate hurdler to an Olympic medalist overnight?!
          Believe what you want to, because you want to.....I'm just looking at the numbers, and they don't add up.
          So your saying she must have some sort of progression or its faulty....
          Do you know about her injuries, her coaching, her training, her personal life? there are tons of factors that can go into why she didn't progress and is just now breaking out.

Agree with jacksf.

Track is about progression. Improvement is mostly predictable and within expected ranges. Castlin's breakout this year is clearly off the charts - indoors and out. I, for one, have had questions about her and Queen Harrison's abnormal drops in times for some time now. Not saying anything underhanded is going on - just questions about how they are able to drop their short hurdle times like that. I think when they have dropped, they have had the same coach. He was at Va tech and is now at Clemson. And, by the way, he currently has 3 of the best NCAA short hurdlers as well.

It is certainly possible that he, Kersee and Brooks Johnson are the best hurdle coaches in America.

Whenever the normal progression range is exceeded, there has to be a plausible reason. I think this is what jacksf is saying. Maybe some of the posters who know more can take a look at the Va tech history and the current Clemson program, together with Castlin and Harrison's stats and provide some understanding about what is going on. Because whatever it is, I'm sure other athletes would like to understand it and bottle it for themselves.

Comment

Has Castlin operated in this environment over the last decade to ensure consistent progress?
            1. Coach - no change
            2. Nutritionist - no change
            3. Podiatrist - no change
            4. Psychologist - no change
            5. Physiotherapist - no change
            6. Technique - changed :P "Sally was saying recently how amazing the changes in her technique are since she first started out at 14 - coach."
            7. Training - constantly evolving "A lot will be the same, but if you don't change then you might not get the same result - coach"
            8. Planning - long term. Planned for gold in London after Beijing silver, gold in 2011 part of plan(12.28, maybe not... :shock: ).
            9. Injuries - few and well managed.
            10. Biomechanical analysis and feedback - weekly
            11. Dedication - unparalleled. "Sally has not missed a session from when she was a kid - coach"

Quotes from Olympic foldout poster (2 broadsheet pages) in today's Melbourne Age. http://www.theage.com.au/

Comment

Sally looked awesome but as with every Olympic year, we see American hurdlers raise their game out of nowhere, so Sally cannot afford to make any errors whatsoever - 7/100ths winning margin is comfortable but a little too close for someone who can run 12.2. I expect the jetlag was a factor but it's clear she needs to be at her best to win in London.

Question: Any news on Joanna Hayes since her 12.87 in April?

On a side note, Carolin Nytra finally opens her 2012 campaign this weeked. Her last race outdoors was back in 2010 though she did run indoors this season. She may be another medal contender if she is fully over her injury and can train 100% (PB of 12.57)

Comment

Go look at some other athletes.
                Veronica Campbell Before 2008 in the 200m
                Murielle Ahoure before 2011 in the 100m
                Lopes-Schliep before 2009
                Yohan Blake before 2011 in the 200
                Nickel Ashmeade before 2011 in the 100

And there are probably tons of athletes who have shown relatively now growth for years then just start dropping their times.

Comment

Originally posted by trackonthebrain
                  Whenever the normal progression range is exceeded, there has to be a plausible reason. I think this is what jacksf is saying. Maybe some of the posters who know more can take a look at the Va tech history and the current Clemson program, together with Castlin and Harrison's stats and provide some understanding about what is going on. Because whatever it is, I'm sure other athletes would like to understand it and bottle it for themselves.
                  A 11.60 100 is a sure sign she has been doping :lol: ; you guys are nuts, as well as edging outside the forum guidelines.

Comment

for what it's worth, the sprint hurdles are an event where a breakthrough in technique can yield significant drops in time. not that unusual to see a guy, for example, labor around 13.50s - 13.70s for a 2-3 years, then they tweak something technically, get a new groove, and get down to 13.30s, etc. it can happen. coaching can make a huge difference. plenty of hurdle coaches don't really know what they're doing. if the American (Castlin) has changed to a superior coach, this could be it.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                      Go look at some other athletes.
                      Veronica Campbell Before 2008 in the 200m
                      Murielle Ahoure before 2011 in the 100m
                      Lopes-Schliep before 2009
                      Yohan Blake before 2011 in the 200
                      Nickel Ashmeade before 2011 in the 100

And there are probably tons of athletes who have shown relatively now growth for years then just start dropping their times.
                      I did.
                      None of these athletes records remotely resemble Castlin's 5 year stagnation, followed by an explosion to world elite.
                      If there are tons of athletes who have followed this pattern, you should be able to name a few.
                      None of the above qualify.

Comment

Your thinking to much into it Jacksf, your making assumptions you shouldn't be. Shes becoming a better athlete...

Comment

Originally posted by 110hedgeNYC
                          for what it's worth, the sprint hurdles are an event where a breakthrough in technique can yield significant drops in time. not that unusual to see a guy, for example, labor around 13.50s - 13.70s for a 2-3 years, then they tweak something technically, get a new groove, and get down to 13.30s, etc. it can happen. coaching can make a huge difference. plenty of hurdle coaches don't really know what they're doing. if the American (Castlin) has changed to a superior coach, this could be it.
                          (This is not directed at you 110hedgeNYC - I just need your comment to make my point.... )

....so providing they start training under a good coach, I should be looking for Yevgeniya Snihur and Christina Vukicevic as Olympic medal contenders?
                          Because time-wise, they have been Castlin's peers - until these year.

Honestly, would you really have the same reaction if it was one of those girls was suddenly looking like they might be on the medal stand?

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                            Your thinking to much into it Jacksf, your making assumptions you shouldn't be. Shes becoming a better athlete...
                            I think it's good to question things.
                            And I think it's good to question other poster's assumptions and attitudes.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                              I think it's good to question things.
                              And I think it's good to question other poster's assumptions and attitudes.
                              My question: What do you assume is the reason for her improvement this year?

Comment

I don't know. I don't have a good explanation. That's my point.

So my question to you - what did you (do you) think when Yuliya Nesterenko won the 100m gold in Athens (out of relatively nowhere)?

Did you wonder 'what the hell?!' (like I do about Castlin);
                                or did you think, 'well, she's certainly "becoming a better athlete" ', (like you do about Castlin?)

Comment

Working...
                                X