Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IOC clears transexuals for competition

This matter was mentioned before on other threads a few months ago but here is another news story:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... anssexuals

I can't imagine this will be a major issue in the near future, and I couldn't care less about whatever folks want to adopt as their gender preference. But, as a policy matter, it still baffles me.

How can the IOC possibly endorse a complete sex change while simultaneously banning athletes for life for taking drugs which induce traits associated with the other gender (i.e. females taking drugs to increase muscle-mass, etc.) Wouldn't a male to female change result in an advantage that surpasses steroid use among either gender? The example that comes to mind is tennis player Renee Richards. A generation ago he went from being a pretty good male amateur to a highly competitive female on the pro tour after transexual surgery at age 52!

The IOC rules don't seem to be coherent to me.

Re: IOC clears transexuals for competition

This ruling is all about political correctness, not what is fair. I saw this obscene ruling coming years ago. So much for "fair competition".

Kurt

Comment

Now all those Chinese times can be legit! Ho, hO, Ho.

Comment

Please don't read anything into this but I was in West Hollywood yesterday afternoon; from what I saw they won't be very competitive in 6" spiked heels and 2" platforms...

Comment

<Please don't read anything into this but I was in West Hollywood yesterday afternoon; from what I saw they won't be very competitive in 6" spiked heels and 2" platforms...>

I wish it would be quite so funny. I do join the chorus of "boos" over this decision.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Elite women athletes will have the best shot at defeating the "new" athletes on the track. I can not imagine a respectable (time-based, not personal traits) person changing genders; I don:t see a 3.43-type 1,500m runner suddenly figuring out he has a better medal opportunity as a female and changing genders. The hard work, dedication and experience the elite women have are going to outweigh the transexuals in some events more than others.

Comment

<Elite women athletes will have the best shot at defeating the "new" athletes on the track. I can not imagine a respectable (time-based, not personal traits) person changing genders; I don:t see a 3.43-type 1,500m runner suddenly figuring out he has a better medal opportunity as a female and changing genders. The hard work, dedication and experience the elite women have are going to outweigh the transexuals in some events more than others.>

It's not quite so simple. There are people of questionable sexuality, i.e. Stella Walsh, Koubek/Koubkov√° etc. In a spirit of fairnes they should be allowed to compete, but with the men. Imagine a 6'4'' "female" at the volleyball net.
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I'm against the avoidable intoduction of increased unfairness in sport. CUT the tentacles of political correctness and politics from our sport.

Comment

>>Imagine a 6'4'' "female" at the volleyball net. <<

So what? Lisa Leslie of the LA sparks is 6'5" and she is definitely ALL woman.

Comment

>Imagine a 6'4'' "female" at the volleyball net.

You mean Gabrielle Reese? I'd hit it.

Comment

Re 6'4", etc. there are plenty of women bb'ers that are that tall.... change your remark to 6'8" and it would make more sense. I know a 6'5" gal here where I live,that's ALL woman, and was a great bballer in college.

Comment

Yes, gentlemen, they are all women. I am talking about a man "changed" into a woman. Lisa Leslie? Do you want to see her go one on one with say, Richard Hamilton?
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

As a sophomore, I was not very competitive with the boys. Me and a team mate joked that we should get a sex change--then we could break all the girls' records. (-: But in reality, it's just that--a joke (for them to be considered "real" competitors).

Comment

I don't think transexuals will be a factor, at least not in track and field. I just wonder how the IOC is going to square the drug rules with the situation. It will be a medical requirement for transexuals to load up on precisely the sort of hormonal therapy that is forbidden to other athletes. How can it all be justified?

Comment

Perhaps Carl Lewis' career is not yet over...

Comment

Working...
                              X