• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN closing Dyestat

ah...

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
      Last I heard there were plans to try to do something with some of the staff and the database, but I don't know if ESPN will let them keep the name. Probably not.
      Obviously, the name isn't as important as the content of the site. It would strike me as unfortunate, though, if John Dye couldn't resume using his own name on a new site. ESPN probably has a contractual right to prevent him from doing that, but why would they want to enforce that right when they've abandoned this particular niche market?

Even worse, though, would be their enforcing a non-compete clause to prevent Dye and those his colleagues who worked for ESPN-DyeStat from setting up a new site to serve the HS T&F community. Again, if they're not interesting in serving that market, they should not be preventing others from serving it.

Comment

dyetrack.com

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          dyetrack.com
          What's the story here? So far there doesn't seem to be much content on the website.

Comment

Re: ESPN closing Dyestat [but.....]

They're starting from scratch while trying to get the rights back to the content they created over the last 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
              They're starting from scratch while trying to get the rights back to the content they created over the last 15 years.
              MJR who exactly is them?
              Tom Hyland:
              "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle
                Originally posted by MJR
                MJR who exactly is them?
                I'm not sure, it's just a skeleton crew. Maybe Derek Dye and Steve Underwood?

Comment

As noted on www.dyetrack.com today, funding attempts failed and the site will close, officially marking the end of an era.

ESPN closed its ESPNHS division, including DyeStat, on September 14. We tried hard in recent weeks to obtain new funding, but these efforts came to dead ends. Therefore, we deeply regret to announce that DyeStat is ending after 15 years, the last four with ESPN.
                  We have negotiated for the return of DyeStat assets, including the domain name and prior content. We will reopen dyestat.com soon as an archive site to preserve access to the history of high school track since 1997. Derek Dye’s magnificent TFX database will also be accessible for data mining.

As I say in my farewell message to Dyestatters, thanks for the memories.

John Dye
                  There are no strings on me

Comment

They are trying to get the databases with the info from 1997 forward to be accessible.

Comment

Dyestat more lives than a cat lol

http://www.runnerspace.com/news.php?new ... ce-com-RRW
                      There are no strings on me

Comment

With all due respect, the Milesplit network has replaced it as the HS site to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          With all due respect, the Milesplit network has replaced it as the HS site to go.
                          For news and other media coverage, absolutely. For pure stats, the country is divided between athletic.net and Milesplit. Most east coast states have excellent data in Milesplit and the west coast is dominated by athletic.net.

Comment

Milesplit does have a streaming channel on Roku boxes, for whatever that's worth.

Comment

Working...
                            X