Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big (huge) improvements for Indiana's Dav Neville.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big (huge) improvements for Indiana's Dav Neville.

Did anyone else notice the 45.05, 20.39 double win by Indiana's Dav Neville? His "seed" times were listed as 47.45 and 20.99...I'd say he had a great meet!

Re: Big (huge) improvements for Indiana's Dav Neville.

One thing I've noticed (after doing some serious times research) is that there have been amazing numbers of PB's reported this May.

I realize it is at the end of the NCAA track season, but some of the performances have been almost comically improved.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not ragging on Neville. But there are lots of others out there who have, in just the last couple of weeks, jumped their PB's by 5% or more.

Or is it just that we are in an Olympic cycle?

Comment

Olympics year. Better comp and training. Focus. Steve Lewis dropped his 1987 PR from 45,87 to 43,87 over one year, and won Olympic Gold as an (extended summer) freshman. Quincy Watts improved much during his senior year, winning NCAAs in 44,00 and then Olympic Gold in 43,50.

Neville had run 46,18 on 9-April; 20,83 on 26-March. Nevertheless, a great meet and double conference champion.

We discussed this briefly here:
      http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... hread=4726

Comment

In the June issue, which has just hit the streets, there's an OT Preview for the m400. Included in that is a chart which shows what it has taken since '97 (when the WCT/OT meet went from 4 rounds to 3) to move from the heats to semis, from semis to final, and to finish in the top 3. Note how '00 stands out.

97--45.93, 45.11, 44.83
        99--46.59, 46.02, 44.91
        00--45.76, 45.11, 44.66
        01--46.19, 45.79, 45.32
        03--46.21, 45.61, 44.90

Comment

Re: Big (huge) improvements for Indiana's David Neville.

Didn't anyone notice that the Big 10 results were truncating names like crazy. This guy's name is David, not Dav.

Comment

Not if you're on a first-name basis with him like I am!

Comment

To show just how awesome the OT (and before that the NCAA) is shaping up in the m400, I went through the new eTrack Newsletter (about to be mailed) and dug up this list of PRs set just last weekend in Conference action (Americans only):

Barton (AzSt) 44.82
              Neville (In) 45.05
              Everhart (UCLA) 45.19
              Gatson (Ar) 45.36
              Harris (TCU) 45.51
              Witherspoon (Fl) 45.53
              Lewis (MsSt) 45.73
              Mason (Az) 45.82
              Sebes (Stan) 46.20
              Rowe (BYU) 46.29
              Wilson (TCU) 46.45

Comment