Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europeans/Olympics

This is the first time the Europeans and the Olympics are being held in the same year. Why did Europe decide to do this? Because there are so many events where European athletes have no chance for an Olympic medal? Are the athletes generally happy about this, or does it make the season too stressful?

Re: Europeans/Olympics

The Euros have gone from 4-yearly to 2-yearly. There would be no logic on running in odd years as this would clash with World Champs. But it means we'll presumably now see weaker Euros during the Olympic years.

Comment

First I was desperate and angry with the idea of having the Europeans during the Olympic year but now I think it's not a bad idea. From what I heard and read many athletes are happy about it and I think it would be really ridiculous for most European sprinters or long distance runners to miss the Euros in order to "concentrate" on the OG.

Don't know what to say about many dec/hep-athletes who have no chance for an Olympic medal but are also skipping the Euros.

Comment

Russian Federation is particularly smart :x with their national champs (as a major qualifier for OG) only 3 days after the Euros. Attendance at their national champs is 0-10 people every year (pathetic!) so they could freely move it for one week later but OK that won't happen.

Comment

Looking at the Polish lineup for Helsinki only reinforces what I always thought - having EC in Olympic years makes no sense at all. Other than Anita W?odarczyk, none of our stars was interested in going to Helsinki.
          I know some countries are entering stronger teams, but so many top athletes will be missing that what has always been major championships will be so devalued they will irreversibly lose their relevance.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

As I was growing up, the Euro's were a big championship, right after the OG's. WC relegated them further down. Having them just days before the OG's made them a totally secondary event. EAF might have to consider going to every 4, on the year of no OG's or WC, if they want to preserve some glamour.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

German team was just announced, all the (healthy) stars will be in Helsinki, but some of the throwers or their coaches already said that they consider Helsinki to be nothing more than a regular meeting and the won't prepare for it. So while Harting, Storl, Müller, de Zordo, Heidler and Obergföll will all be in Helsinki i don't think they will be in top form.

Comment

The British certainly couldn't care less, none of the track athletes qualified for London will be in Helsinki and field event athletes only if it helps the buildup to London: http://www.uka.org.uk/media/news/june-2 ... -european/

Comment

Final entries.
                  http://www.european-athletics.org/europ ... nline.html
                  http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
                    Pathetic how they are selling it:
                    Major athletics nations Germany, Great Britain, Russia, France, Spain, Italy and Poland will all send full squads to Helsinki.
                    Polish team without Majewski, Malachowski, the 800m runners, a british team missing most of the London starters, and they call that full squads ?

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
                      Originally posted by nevetsllim
                      Pathetic how they are selling it:
                      Major athletics nations Germany, Great Britain, Russia, France, Spain, Italy and Poland will all send full squads to Helsinki.
                      Polish team without Majewski, Malachowski, the 800m runners, a british team missing most of the London starters, and they call that full squads ?
                      Really... France, Italy and Spain will send full squads. But Russia with B team
                      Spain will have to make final cuts in the middle distance, Di Martino had some problems with injury so she will try to prepare for London

Comment

Originally posted by pakillo
                        Spain will have to make final cuts in the middle distance, Di Martino had some problems with injury so she will try to prepare for London
                        But looking at the list even the french won't compete in all events. For example the only woman in the 100m is Christine Arron, and i doubt Lemaitre and Vicout will run both 100m and 200m even though they are entered in both. None of the fast russian female 400m runners (only one entered, how is that a full squad?), i am surprised to see a sub 4 min runner over 1500m so close to the russian trials. Alekna is also missing, looks like they could almost mail the gold medals to Storl and Harting.

Comment

The Belarussian team is also very lightweight but that's to be expected seeing as their best athletes generally shirked the European Team Champs/European Cup competitions.
                          http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by pakillo
                            But looking at the list even the french won't compete in all events. For example the only woman in the 100m is Christine Arron, and i doubt Lemaitre and Vicout will run both 100m and 200m even though they are entered in both. None of the fast russian female 400m runners (only one entered, how is that a full squad?), i am surprised to see a sub 4 min runner over 1500m so close to the russian trials. Alekna is also missing, looks like they could almost mail the gold medals to Storl and Harting.
                            Russia sends B squad but obviously it was up to athletes to decide whether to go or not, Davydova(400H) said she wanted to go to Helsinki even with the Russian trials and I see Shubenkov is also on the entry list.
                            But it's sad not to see best Russian 100m women or 10,000m(they already had the trials in 10,000) and it's not like they have some chances in London...

Lemaitre earlier said he would perhaps do only 100 in Helsinki and only 200 in London but he wasn't sure so we'll see.

Comment

German team was just announced, all the (healthy) stars will be in Helsinki, but some of the throwers or their coaches already said that they consider Helsinki to be nothing more than a regular meeting and the won't prepare for it. So while Harting, Storl, Müller, de Zordo, Heidler and Obergföll will all be in Helsinki i don't think they will be in top form.
                              Yeah, only for de Zordo the event is important because he still needs to make the team for London. The others just go there because their national federation requires them to do so, so you're right, no surprise that the major athletes are just gonna train through the meet.

Comment

Working...
                              X