400m
    1. Novelene
    2. Sherika
    3. Patricia hall

100m hurdles
    1. Foster

Comment

Re: jamaica Olympic Trials predictions

Every time i read a post about jamaican T&F i get the feeling anything over 400m or involving jumping or throwing is not considered T&F in Jamaica.

Comment

I wouldn't count out Arkansas' Akheem Gauntlett in the 400m. He has run 45.13 this season.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
          Every time i read a post about jamaican T&F i get the feeling anything over 400m or involving jumping or throwing is not considered T&F in Jamaica.
          They have Kenia Sinclair for 800 meters.

The same can be said with Kenya and Ethiopia. If Jamaica wanted to dominate the entire sport, they could always "naturalize" a bunch of Kenyans and Ethiopians for distance and Cubans or Europeans for the field events. They won't do that though. They are not Qatar.

Comment

Originally posted by GDAWG
            Originally posted by norunner
            They have Kenia Sinclair for 800 meters.

The same can be said with Kenya and Ethiopia. If Jamaica wanted to dominate the entire sport, they could always "naturalize" a bunch of Kenyans and Ethiopians for distance and Cubans or Europeans for the field events. They won't do that though. They are not Qatar.
            400/800/1500/3000SC/5000/10,000/marathon that is 100:1 range. vs 100/200/400 4:1 range -- no contest in breadth.

Comment

Are the trails this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by running4life
                Nope... next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by t_monk
                  Originally posted by running4life
                  Nope... next weekend.
                  Oh ok thanks.

Comment

The comment by norunner is a silly wind-up; Jamaica is a tiny little island of a few million , not a frigging massive country with over 300 million; Jamaica's contribution to world Track is amazing and to be saluted.

Germany is 90 million in population and its entire track best are a load of relative mediocrities on a world scale, with one or two salient exceptions; they have a few PV, Discus, Shot , Hammer and Jav people . Not much!!!

Harting is the only medallist I would bet on this year.

Comment

Originally posted by fromage
                      The comment by norunner is a silly wind-up; Jamaica is a tiny little island of a few million , not a frigging massive country with over 300 million; Jamaica's contribution to world Track is amazing and to be saluted.

Germany is 90 million in population and its entire track best are a load of relative mediocrities on a world scale, with one or two salient exceptions; they have a few PV, Discus, Shot , Hammer and Jav people . Not much!!!

Harting is the only medallist I would bet on this year.
                      Wow, you really have problems, don't you? I was actually commenting on the complete lack of any other events even being mentioned. Jamaica does have other athletes that may qualify for London, even throwers. So why not mention those as well (and that's all i meant). And fromage: You know that saying about assuming? :wink:

Comment

Given the tone on this board, it must be very disappointing to be a T&F athlete in Jamaica who does something other than the sprints. For such a small country, one would expect support across the board for every athlete. But then again, I suspect the myopic vision of these posters is really not indicative of the true Jamaica love for the sport.

Comment

Heading into World Juniors Jamaica does have athletes ranked in top 8 in these non-sprint events:

MHJ (#=6)
                          MSP (#5)
                          MDT (#3)
                          W800m (#6 & #7)
                          WHJ (=#8)
                          WLJ (#4)

And also in an ignored longer sprint (hurdles):
                          M400H (#3 & #7)
                          W400H (#4)

And the island nation also has a senior male Discus Thrower at #13 on world list, the #11 female TJer. And an 8600pt decathlete is nothing to sneeze at...

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
                            But then again, I suspect the myopic vision of these posters is really not indicative of the true Jamaica love for the sport.
                            Exactly. There is interest, and lots of debate amongst spectators, in the vast majority of events on the field as well as the track.

The officials at events need to help in this regard as well. When a throwing competition is underway the crowd literally has no idea what is happening. I've certainly never seen a board or any display that indicates the distance the thrower just achieved. Same for the vertical jumps. It really is hard to get "into" a competition when the competitiveness is unknown through non communication.
                            Regards,
                            toyracer

Comment

For God's sake, this is a thread about predictions, and once again we get non-Jamaicans on the thread moaning about the lack of long distance runners and field events....
                              :roll:
                              This is a small country of less than 3m. When I follow Kenyan and Ethiopian athletics, I don't moan about their lack of sprinters.

M100m- Usain Bolt, Asafa Powell, Yohan Blake (remember Blake did run 9.84 in Cayman in May)

M200m- Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Nickel Ashmeade

M400m- Gonzales, Ricardo Chambers, Leford Green

M110h- Andrew Riley, Hansle Parchment, Dwight Thomas (I think Thomas still has it)

M400h-Not a clue

W100m- SAFP, VCB, Sherri-Ann Brooks

W200m- VCB, Sherri-Ann Brooks, Kerron Stewart (I suspect SAF won't do this event)

W400m-Novelene Williams-Mills, Patricia Hall, Rosie Whyte

W400mH- Kaliese Spencer, Melaine Walker, Nickesha Wilson

W100mh- Bridgette Foster-Hylton, Vonette Dixon (not sure about the rest)
                              My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Working...
                              X