This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ¶2012OT m100—Justin Gatlin 9.80 PR

Well if it means anything Tyson Gay is signed up for that anti-doping program where they do additional testing and establish a baseline. He talked about it in an article I read recently. So, if you can't believe that at least he is clean, then you can't believe in anyone. Is he the only male sprinter that signed up?

Comment

• Re: 2012OT m100—Gatlin.... or Gay?

Originally posted by Trackrunner
      Congrats to Tyson, Ryan on making the team. As to Justin Gatlin before I go giving him a high five I would rather wait a few weeks for my own peace of mind. At 30 y.o. London 2012 is likely the last hurrah for Gatlin at an Olympics where he can reasonably expect to medal. Gatlin is unattached with no major sponsors having picked him up yet. I would feel a lot better about his situation if he took responsibility for his last PED conviction, but the only thing I've heard him say is to pass the buck by saying 'It Wasn't Me'. Look at who he is associating with and how he has been running his mouth since coming back to the sport. You'd be surprised how many athletes think they are oh so smart and will use a second chance to do a better job the next time around of not getting caught. In the twilight of his career with little money coming in he has nothing to lose really by going there again. So after not running competitively for more than two years he comes back to the sport an older guy and in eighteen months he is running more or less at the level he was before he left. We are not stupid.
      Your post makes a whole lot of sense. Alot of folks here just don't want to believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by tsprint94
        We would all be stupid to assume that anyone running sub 10 is clean!!!! Wake up everyone!!
        With these super fast Mondo tracks surely running under 10 and being clean is very possible. The only way Mondo loses it's Olympic contract is if no world records are broken or if the times seem average.

Comment

Originally posted by fromage
          Delighted to see Gay get into the USA Team and Bailey also. You medal chasers already know what we think about the winner. Of course, the latter is a lot more talented than our Trials winner who is finished as a top class sprinter.

so what is 9.80 with a nil wind worth...high 9.8s. Bolt not losing sleep is reported
          I think the wind reading was +1.8....

But I share your sentiments about Gay and Bailey, and also what we think about the winner....
          My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

I just noticed in the photos on the homepage that Gatlin wore Adidas spikes in the semi and then Nike ones in the final? Not sure if its been commented on before but looks like he's back with Nike then?

Comment

Probably just buying spikes like any highschooler and decided to switch...

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic
                Well if it means anything Tyson Gay is signed up for that anti-doping program where they do additional testing and establish a baseline. He talked about it in an article I read recently. So, if you can't believe that at least he is clean, then you can't believe in anyone. Is he the only male sprinter that signed up?
                This program should be mandatory for all runners. Why is it even an option in this day and age when a few bad apples are spoiling the sport for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
                  Originally posted by optimistic
                  This program should be mandatory for all runners. Why is it even an option in this day and age when a few bad apples are spoiling the sport for everyone
                  Not everyone. There will always be attempts by some to advance him/herself, even it is by illegal means, fully appreciating consequences of being caught. T&F has the most stringent enforcement and brutal punishment. 4 years that Gatlin sat out are eternity in a sporting career. Zero tolerance/100% compliance is utopia totally devoid of reality.
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                    [Zero tolerance/100% compliance is utopia totally devoid of reality.
                    Regretfully, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster
                      I just noticed in the photos on the homepage that Gatlin wore Adidas spikes in the semi and then Nike ones in the final? Not sure if its been commented on before but looks like he's back with Nike then?
                      No he is with Xstep a Chinese company. Apparently while they were making spikes for him, he wore whatever he wanted.
                      Just like Powell when he moved to Li-Ning he still work Nike spikes until they could create their own.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47963210

As of now, Gatlin has two deals. One with active watchbrand, Deuce and the other with Chinese company Xtep, whose apparel he wore during the trials this week. While Gatlin waited for a mold from the company, he wore both adidas and Nike on his feet.

Comment

That sounds like it could be an advantage. I would try hard to wait until after the Olympics to wear the Xtep stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by tsprint94
                          I'm beating a dead horse here with this. Track daddy, I like your optimism, but the list of people you listed I believe some of them have or do dope.
                          With all said, On a level playing field..ie...everyone clean, I still think the top dogs are going to be the top dogs. Bolt, Gay, Powell, Gatlin, Blake, Dix etc, will be top 6 if all healthy.
                          I may after thinking about it have changed my view on Gatlin. He may be clean, he is under alot of scrutiny after being caught once, to try it again?? Pure stupidity. You never know...

Gatlin at this point in running for redemption probably his own personal redemption. Someone said before he has nothing to lose. I disagree. He has everything to lose if he gets caught again he will literally be labeled a yellow bellied scoundrel and would be lucky if he could walk the street without being pelted with rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
                            That sounds like it could be an advantage. I would try hard to wait until after the Olympics to wear the Xtep stuff.
                            Huh? Why?
                            They are spikes...

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                              Originally posted by JumboElliott
                              Huh? Why?
                              They are spikes...
                              Tell that to Quincy Watts (see '93 WC 400m final) .

Comment

Originally posted by Trackrunner
                                Congrats to Tyson, Ryan on making the team. As to Justin Gatlin before I go giving him a high five I would rather wait a few weeks for my own peace of mind. At 30 y.o. London 2012 is likely the last hurrah for Gatlin at an Olympics where he can reasonably expect to medal. Gatlin is unattached with no major sponsors having picked him up yet. I would feel a lot better about his situation if he took responsibility for his last PED conviction, but the only thing I've heard him say is to pass the buck by saying 'It Wasn't Me'. Look at who he is associating with and how he has been running his mouth since coming back to the sport. You'd be surprised how many athletes think they are oh so smart and will use a second chance to do a better job the next time around of not getting caught. In the twilight of his career with little money coming in he has nothing to lose really by going there again. So after not running competitively for more than two years he comes back to the sport an older guy and in eighteen months he is running more or less at the level he was before he left. We are not stupid.
                                Doesn't matter whether he says he doped knowingly or whether he sticks by his statement that the trainer rubbed testosterone into his legs. I heard they did hand that trainer a beat down, but I digress. The point is, he served his time, he doesn't owe you shit. I for one am happy to have another top level American competitor in the mix now. It means, other sprinters, like Powell, and Blake will have to work a little harder if they want to medal. You very well could see two Americans medal. We know Powell will choke in the final, and in my opinion the verdict is still out for Blake in the big race 100. He won a final, that included no other top tier sprinter, after Bolt false started. It ended up being a race that Powell would have won if he wasn't injured.

Comment

Working...
                                X