Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Olympics Short List

London, Madrid, Moscow, New York, Paris.

Re: 2012 Olympics Short List

I think NYC's gonna get this! Can't wait for 7/6/2005.

Comment

JUST DON'T CHANGE THE NYC MARATHON ROUTE! It's measured, it's mapped, and to keep it would keep some change in the IOC's pocket!

Oh, yeah, the current route is the ONLY logistical way to have the Oly Marathon to touch the 5 bouroughs and still be 26.2. Peace.

Comment

>I think NYC's gonna get this! Can't wait for 7/6/2005.>>

You haven't been reading the newspapers much have you? Unfortunately, 7/6/2005 is closer to today than it is to 9/11/2001 and the world has changed mightily. NYC (i.e., USA) goes from getting the sympathy vote to being despised in many quarters. And I suspect that many of those who would still support a candidacy under normal circumstances will be so concerned with security issues that they'd vote for ABNY (anywhere but New York).

Comment

Make plans for Paris now, it'll be there.

Also, the only people I know of who are in favor of NYC getting this, who live in the area, are elected officials & the money men who got them there. NY traffic sucks as it is, with 7 years of 24/7 construction ahead of us to make this happen, it is a nightmare of the Freddy Kruger variety waiting to happen.

Comment

A more likely scenario is that NYC does well enough in the 2012 voting to make a more serious bid for 2016.

Comment

I live in NYC, and I can tell you that I wouldn't want the Olympics to come here. The likelihood that we'll end up in a money pit that this generation's GREAT-GRANDCHILDREN will still be paying off will be too much for us to handle or stomach. Look at what happened to Montreal after 1976. Even now they're still paying off the debt!

Bet the farm on Paris or London. Right now, Paris is the 8/5 favorite, with London at 5/2.

Comment

>JUST DON'T CHANGE THE NYC MARATHON ROUTE!<

I believe the NYC2012 plans call for a very different marathon course, all or almost all in Manhattan. Nothing at all like the NYCM route.

Comment

Give it to Houston, or at least someone who hasn't had it yet.

Comment

I live in Madrid but I think that we wont win the race to the 2012 OG

Comment

>Give it to Houston, or at least someone who hasn't had it yet.<

Oh? When do you think New York had it?

Comment

Apparently ESPN thinks its Paris and NYC has no chance either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/columns/s ... id=1804205

Comment

didn't they already hold the Olympics in New York, maybe it was 1960, in Flushing Meadows...had that big globe decoration outside the stadium????? And wasn't there an Olympics where the decoration was a big shot put and a triangular tower, perifsphere and trilon or something, I think the St. Louis Olympics of 1900.......

Comment

>didn't they already hold the Olympics in New York, maybe it was 1960, in
                            >Flushing Meadows...had that big globe decoration outside the stadium????? And
                            >wasn't there an Olympics where the decoration was a big shot put and a
                            >triangular tower, perifsphere and trilon or something, I think the St. Louis
                            >Olympics of 1900.......

hf, you're either putting us on or you're a bit out of it !

1960 OG's was ROME !

The "Globe" was in NY all right, but it was 1964 WORLD'S FAIR !
                            And trylon , etc. was also NY, at 1939 WORLD'S FAIR !

Finally St. Louis Olympics were 1904 !

Comment

Just watched tape of last Sunday's "60 Minutes" and a segment on the violence against women in the Muslim ghettos (and there is no better word) of Paris. It's not the "city of light" that I love so dearly. No wonder they told us not to stray too far from the stadium out in St.-Denis last summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X