Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let Jade in!

USATF keeps screwing over the athletes on the bubble in the women's pole vault…

On the last weekend of qualifying, a small PV-only meet produced five lifetime PRs, including three USA WPVers. There were suspicions raised about multiple aspects of the meet, and there was much discussion about whether or not the results would be rejected. The four girls that were bumped out were left hanging for days.

Two of the athletes made the trip to Eugene and two did not. The latter two _could_ not make the trip after some phone calls a little less than 48 hours before the meet with USATF where they were explicitly told: DO NOT GET ON THE PLANE. YOU ARE NOT GETTING IN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. Both athletes are in college and it would be an NCAA violation if their school sent them out here after having official word they were not competing.

Last night, less than 24 hours after the start of the event, USATF decided to accept these athletes. One athlete got word and was able to catch a flight VERY early in the morning today, the day of the event. The other athlete, Jade Riebold, turned off her phone when she went to bed. The word came in after 11pm her time and she didn't find out until morning… could not get from the east coast to Eugene on that short of notice.

Fast forward a few hours, the women's pole vault prelims get rained out. They decide to advance all vaulters to the final on Sunday.

That would give Jade enough time to catch a flight tomorrow and make it out.

USATF will not allow her to compete in Sunday's final because she did not check in for today's prelim.

#letJadein

Re: Let Jade in!

Originally posted by polevaultpower
    a small PV-only meet produced five lifetime PRs,
    Was that the same meet where Stefanidi got the A standard to make the team for Greece?

Comment

Ok, I've read this damn thing about 20 times, and only after some clarification on a FB page we both post to I understand the situation - kind of :?

Riebold is #24 on the entry list, then pushed to 28 thanks some last-minute meet results. The original field limit was 24, but USATF expanded it by four "just in case" those last four entrants were bogus(reasons not yet explained anywhere I've seen).

So, my take is - USATF should NOT have expanded the field - either those last entries were good, or they weren't. USATF judged they were, so Riebold should be out anyway. She caught a break, only she missed the call, and by the time she got the message couldnt get to Eugene to check in today. Not USATF's fault(and Lord knows I'm critic #1 of USATF)
      There are no strings on me

Comment

USATF will not allow her to compete in Sunday's final because she did not check in for today's prelim.
        So she didn't check in for non-existing prelims after not being notified. It's the right thing to do to let her in, but in addition to that: The prelims were completely canceled before they even started, so that should make the prelim check-in completely irrelevant, and the only check-in that counts is the one for finals.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
          Ok, I've read this damn thing about 20 times, and only after some clarification on a FB page we both post to I understand the situation - kind of :?

Riebold is #24 on the entry list, then pushed to 28 thanks some last-minute meet results. The original field limit was 24, but USATF expanded it by four "just in case" those last four entrants were bogus(reasons not yet explained anywhere I've seen).

So, my take is - USATF should NOT have expanded the field - either those last entries were good, or they weren't. USATF judged they were, so Riebold should be out anyway. She caught a break, only she missed the call, and by the time she got the message couldnt get to Eugene to check in today. Not USATF's fault(and Lord knows I'm critic #1 of USATF)
          Someone saying that the athlete would not be let in under any circumstances, and then having that athlete let is not doing their job correctly. If there are higher-ups that can make it happen, then you say ' only if higher-ups over-rule me.' Someone screwed up and it was not the athlete.

Comment

Even if she had immediately been notified (after 11pm at night her time!), she was in South Carolina. The other athlete, Steph, was near Chicago, where there are hundreds more flights to choose from. Getting from SC to Portland in with ample time to drive down to Eugene, get credentialed, and make it to the stadium two hours or whatever before the event was probably not physically possible. They looked into it and couldn't make it work, it's not like they just gave up.

Comment

exhibit A of '12 (and there are some every year) of why USATF needs to go back to the rule that was in place when I was in charge of mark certification: there's a list of acceptable meets published at the beginning of the year. None of this make-it-up-on-the-fly "special competitions" at the last minute, which have a stunningly high rate of success of getting qualifiers. Q's, I would add that never pan out.

off my soapbox.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                exhibit A of '12 (and there are some every year) of why USATF needs to go back to the rule that was in place when I was in charge of mark certification: there's a list of acceptable meets published at the beginning of the year. None of this make-it-up-on-the-fly "special competitions" at the last minute, which have a stunningly high rate of success of getting qualifiers. Q's, I would add that never pan out.

off my soapbox.
                What I hear is that the powers that be would like to move back toward this. USATF is trying to build their regional championships, so they have some motivation to kill off these bogus meets and get the emerging elite athletes competing in real meets. Legit meets like the Portland Track Classic would still be allowed, but everything would be set way in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  USATF needs to go back to the rule that was in place when I was in charge of mark certification: there's a list of acceptable meets published at the beginning of the year. None of this make-it-up-on-the-fly "special competitions" at the last minute, w
                  Zackly. You can compete in all the thrown-together meets you want, but they will NOT count towards getting an OT qual mark. I'm even skeptical of 'beach' or 'town square' PV-only competitions. I understand they pass the scrutiny for a valid meet, but my experience with the few I've been to leads me to question some marks set there.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by gh
                    USATF needs to go back to the rule that was in place when I was in charge of mark certification: there's a list of acceptable meets published at the beginning of the year. None of this make-it-up-on-the-fly "special competitions" at the last minute, w
                    Zackly. You can compete in all the thrown-together meets you want, but they will NOT count towards getting an OT qual mark. I'm even skeptical of 'beach' or 'town square' PV-only competitions. I understand they pass the scrutiny for a valid meet, but my experience with the few I've been to leads me to question some marks set there.
                    There is a new rule that any meet that is outside of a standard track facility has to prove that they meet the rules (no downhill runway, etc). So basically if you are putting on a street vault, you need to get the runway surveyed with a transit to prove it.

Comment

It's probably worth noting that Riebold got her 4.31 at a home(Eastern Illinois) "Tuesday Tweener" meet. Her next best performance on the season was a 4.17.

http://www.eiupanthers.com/custompages/ ... esults.htm

Comment

It's probably worth noting that Riebold got her 4.31 at a home(Eastern Illinois) "Tuesday Tweener" meet. Her next best performance on the season was a 4.17.

http://www.eiupanthers.com/custompages/ ... esults.htm
                        It was a college facility, they have the same requirements as USATF/IAAF for pegs and crossbars. One of the issues with the questionable marks was that it was a high school facility, and the peg length has been called into question.

Also, she has a 4.24 and 4.20 from indoors, the latter at NCAAs.

Comment

The stat speaks for itself.

Riebold's outdoor season

3.90 m (1st).....................WKU Relays (4/14/12)
                          4.17 m (1st)......................Vandy Invite (4/21/12)
                          4.31 m (1st).................... EIU Tweener (4/24/12)
                          4.15 m (1st)....................Drake Relays (4/28/12)
                          3.80 m (1st)......................OVC Champ. (5/5/12)
                          4.17 m (5th)................ NCAA Regional (5/26/12)
                          3.90 m (20th).......NCAA Championships (6/6/12)

Comment

The previous best marks from this year from the three athletes who jumped 4.36 were:
                            Athlete 1 - Previous best marks of 4.23, 4.22, and 4.20.
                            Athlete 2 - Previous best marks of 4.20, 4.14 and 4.13.
                            Athlete 3 - Previous best marks of 4.23, 4.22 and 4.21

Also those marks were all from recent meets in California, where I assume the weather was good. Jade's meets are from spring in the midwest. I went to college out there and the weather is super hit and miss.

No one is disqualifying marks because someone has a good performance. The issues with the meet in California were related to criteria the high performance committee has about sanctions and publishing the meet information on a calendar, and questions raised about the length of the pegs.

The marks were not disqualified. I think USATF felt like they didn't have enough time and information to determine if the marks were valid or not.

I am glad they did not DQ the athletes in CA. The athletes did not do anything wrong. They showed up for what they believed and what appeared to be a legitimate meet that would count for qualifying.

USATF made the right decision, they just made it too late. They made the wrong decision by DQing an athlete who has been ACCEPTED into the meet, and failed to show up for a round that was CANCELLED.

Comment

USATF made the right decision, they just made it too late. They made the wrong decision by DQing an athlete who has been ACCEPTED into the meet, and failed to show up for a round that was CANCELLED.

Sorry Becca, but check-in was yesterday. It sucks that she couldnt get to Oregon in time(and as mentioned, she was frankly lucky just to get in), but she didnt. The weather intervening doesnt change that, or give her a 3rd chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X