Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let Jade in!

Originally posted by guru
    The weather intervening doesnt change that, or give her a 3rd chance.
    Not the weather, but USATF intervening by cancelling prelims (and not just delaying or postponing it). Athletes have to declare and then check-in for events that actually take place, but I don't get why it should be relevant whether they check-in for events that don't take place at all.

Comment

Jade showed me the email she got from Sue Humphrey. It basically told her it was her own fault for not constantly checking the USATF website to see if her status had changed.

So as far as USATF is concerned, if they grant an appeal that affects athletes not making the appeal, they have no obligation to tell anyone anything. It even says this on the website: "Results of appeals will show on the Status of Entries page. No other notice will be given."

But that's not even relevant here. Other people tipped off Jade and her coach that this was going on, so they WERE checking that page. I don't know what time the final decision was reached, but the page was not updated until after 8pm Pacific (11pm eastern) with the competition starting at 5:30 the next day (so you'd physically have to be in Eugene by about 3pm at the latest to get credentialed and checked in and warmed up).

Here's what I don't get... the athlete was ACCEPTED into the meet, with insufficient notice to travel to Eugene in time. They were on the start lists the officials had. That round was cancelled.

I have not actually seen anywhere that they were DQd. That's not the language that's being used by USATF. They're just saying only the athletes who checked in will be allowed to advance. So it doesn't seem to fall under competition rules, it seems to fall under arbitrary decision made by the women's committee.

Comment

Here's what I dont understand - why would her parents put her on a flight after the fact to fight what is likely a losing battle, but didnt when she was still a reasonable(if shaky) prospect to make the field?
        There are no strings on me

Comment

This really has the feeling of being the complete opposite of Gouchergate.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
            Here's what I dont understand - why would her parents put her on a flight after the fact to fight what is likely a losing battle, but didnt when she was still a reasonable(if shaky) prospect to make the field?
            The initial appeal or whatever made by another athlete was denied. The girls were told 48 hours before the event DO NOT COME. THERE IS NO WAY THIS WILL CHANGE.

Then less than 24 hours before the event, that changed and they were accepted. They tried to book flights at that point and failed. Jade was in South Carolina, there are not as many flight options as the girl in Illinois who could fly out of Chicago.

She wants to fight this and give it every chance, even though she probably won't get in. She knows it is a very very long shot, but if she doesn't try it will be NO chance.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower

Then less than 24 hours before the event, that changed and they were accepted. They tried to book flights at that point and failed. Jade was in South Carolina, there are not as many flight options as the girl in Illinois who could fly out of Chicago.

So really missing that late-night phone call didnt matter

Comment

What sucks is that they were bumped for athletes that got a mark in a competition that broke pretty much every rule...

-high school pegs (from the pic I've seen)
                -not on calendar 30 days prior
                -one event instead of the minimum of 3
                -etc.

Comment

Jade and Mandissa are currently appearing on the start list. http://www.usatf.org/events/2012/Olympi ... st26-2.htm

I screen capped it in case they get taken off.

As far as I know, the intent of the women's committee is still to not let them in, but hopefully this start list situation helps change things. I don't know how many more times USATF can screw this situation up.

Comment

Jade and Mandissa are currently appearing on the start list. http://www.usatf.org/events/2012/Olympi ... st26-2.htm

Maybe it's just me, but I dont see Riebold on that list.

Comment

They took her and Mandissa off. Here is a screencap of the list earlier today: http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtop ... 12#p160100

Both girls saw the list and thought it meant they were in, especially given USATF's emphasis on checking the website to find out what was going on.

Comment

If we do not allow these one-off meets we will continue to waterdown our fan base and minimize our sport. We need grassroots folks getting in... open athletes getting in the USAs.

While other sports have plenty of competitions run by organizations, track & field meets are few and far in-between. If we keep limiting participation by who has major resources we'll shrink into nothingness.

Comment

Jade did not get in.

Comment

Jade did not get in.
                            Any actual reasons given, or just the same arbitrary decision making?

Comment

Originally posted by j-a-m
                              Jade did not get in.
                              Any actual reasons given, or just the same arbitrary decision making?
                              The reason is because she did not check in for prelims. The fact that it wasn't humanly possible for her to get to the meet between the time the decision was made to let her in and the time the event started is irrelevant.

She was also denied a credential, despite the fact that she had been accepted into the meet. She and her mom had to drop $100+ to watch today's competition. Even the girl at credentialing thought it was pretty cold... Jade was accepted into the meet, so they had a credential for her, but Sue made sure everyone in credentialing knew that she was not to have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X