Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So the US has been begging for a star athlete...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the US has been begging for a star athlete...

Well isn't Ashton Eaton it? Personable, well spoken, all American guy who now holds the decathlon world record and who looks like he will be dominant for years to come. He is young and relatable and would probably look good on a Wheaties cereal box. The athletes with the x-factor are the ones who can compete and be fully in the moment, the ones who look like they are just out there having fun, which is what I saw watching Eaton compete this weekend. No, his event is not in the sprints, though by the look of his numbers he could go there if he wanted to, but I think there is something to be said for having a mega watt star in one of the non traditional track & field events. USATF should really run with this dude.

Re: So the US has been begging for a star athlete...

Yes, he is. Or rather he SHOULD be. But unfortunately, I feel a sickening dread that our media will instead focus all their attention on Lolo Jones for the majority of the Olympics. In-depth interview after in-depth interview on her and her annoying life. Following her every move as she struts her giant 850,000 ton unwarranted ego around and acts like a giant attention-whore non-stop, trying to eek out every last second of it. Every promo between every commercial break will be about her, showing her crying about how unfair it is/how could this happen to her wahhh wahhhh and now her big triumphant return :roll: to glory :roll: :roll: barfffffff

Yuck, I'm so angry just thinking about it.

Please, The Media, if you are reading this, stop being jerks! Give this guy the spotlight. Forget about Lolo, she's terrible in every way imaginable. Focus on the people who actually have respect for their fellow athletes, and don't come across as giant fake stuck up bitches who thinks the world owes them something. Focus on people who aren't the embodiment of Satan! For once! Please! i beg of youuuuuu! It's not THAT hard! Let's do it! Say it with me now errbody! "I PROMISE NOT TO PAY ANY ATTENTION TO LOLO!" Say it again now ERRBODYYYYY IN THA HOUSE SAY IT WIMME "I PROMISE NOT TO PAY ANY ATTENTION TO LOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!" WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S WHAT I"M TALKIN BOUT!!!! YEEEEEEEEEE WHAT'S UPPPPPPPPPP

Comment

Decathletes don't get to perform often enough. Eaton needs to take a page out of Jackie Joyner-Kersee's playbook and start competing regularly in his two best open events. Surely he would be competive on the Diamond League circuit in the long jump.

Comment

Originally posted by nicest person ever
        Yes, he is. Or rather he SHOULD be. But unfortunately, I feel a sickening dread that our media will instead focus all their attention on Lolo Jones for the majority of the Olympics. In-depth interview after in-depth interview on her and her annoying life. Following her every move as she struts her giant 850,000 ton unwarranted ego around and acts like a giant attention-whore non-stop, trying to eek out every last second of it. Every promo between every commercial break will be about her, showing her crying about how unfair it is/how could this happen to her wahhh wahhhh and now her big triumphant return.

I think you were holding back just a little bit. Please tell us, how do you REALLY feel? LOL.

Comment

Ughhhh, I feel so tempted to tell everyone how I really feel about it deep down inside, but, nah, i think in the end, I'm gonna take the high road and just leave it with the mild cliffnotes I gave above, as I do not want to come across as rude, given that I am the nicest person of all time, and that carries a lot of weight and responsiblity, so, I'ma just do my thing and be the nicest person ever, like always 8-) 8-)

hehehe

Comment

Saw this on another board:
            It's down right UNFAIR to the other athletes who have outperformed her this season especially the poor Dawn Harper. Are you guys aware that Dawn Harper is the defending Olympic champion in women's hurdles. She has received almost no attention, while the media focuses on the "Pretty Virgin". Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Lolo fan and I was rooting for her last night. However NBC was downright Disrespectful to Dawn. After barely mentioning she won, they immediately refocused the post-race interview on Lolo,then the post-race press conference was so embarrassing. Just look at the facial expression of Dawn(3rd person)She looks extremely pissed and rightful so. We get it NBC, Lolo is very attractive ,but how can you ignore a PROVEN champion!!!
            It seems as if alot of people are not to thrilled by LoLo receiving all of the attention that others such as Dawn Harper should be receiving.

Take note of this video to... Someone commented that Dawn seemed some what ticked off and irritated that most of the attention was focused on lolo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=lWT4yn9KlZU

Comment

A. Ashton WILL indeed be the poster boy for the USA Olympic team and deservedly so.

B. I don't get the hatin' on Lolo stuff. She is not FORCING people to root for her; that's their own personal prerogative. More power to her if people want to. I like her, but I also understand that Harper deserves my attention and respect for what she has done. I'll root for all 3 Ami w100Hers in London!! [and oddly enough, I'll be rooting even more for Sally P, cuz she's awesome]

Comment

NBC wants Allyson to be the poster child of the London Olympics. Unfortunately, her performances will not live up to expectatations in London.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  A. Ashton WILL indeed be the poster boy for the USA Olympic team and deservedly so.

B. I don't get the hatin' on Lolo stuff. She is not FORCING people to root for her; that's their own personal prerogative. More power to her if people want to. I like her, but I also understand that Harper deserves my attention and respect for what she has done. I'll root for all 3 Ami w100Hers in London!! [and oddly enough, I'll be rooting even more for Sally P, cuz she's awesome]
                  Lolo loves too much attention. The whole world does not need to know she is a so called virgin. Its all a publicity stunt.

Comment

Yes it is clear from the promotional spots that Allyson is being billed as the female face of the games. Lots of shots of her in NBC's promo for London 2012. She may be bland but she is pretty. This 100M outcome if she does not make the cut does not play well into the narrative. Sanya has also been pushing to be the face of the Games and even though she has worked mightily to present herself as the all American girl, and would be the natural choice to fill that role, I think because she is not a natural born American it has hurt her in that respect. For me it is all about the competition and athletes bringing their best on the day, but I do understand the marketing component of it.

Comment

Sanya would be getting a lot more attention had her husband been an elite level NFL player, because then NBC would want to capitalize on that, promoting her as the wife of an NFL superstar and a track and field athlete. Instead, Aaron is a solid player, although not elite. I don't think it has to do with her not being American born.

Comment

Originally posted by jamaica50
                        Lolo loves too much attention. The whole world does not need to know she is a so called virgin. Its all a publicity stunt.
                        Whoa, stop the presses - an star athlete who LIKES attention! Your dislike of her is as bizarre as the Tebow haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          Whoa, stop the presses - an star athlete who LIKES attention! Your dislike of her is as bizarre as the Tebow haters.
                          Its all a publicity stunt that i dont care for.

Comment

Its all a publicity stunt that i dont care for.
                            It's not a 'stunt'; it's her personality. Perhaps she doesn't care for yours. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                              Decathletes don't get to perform often enough. Eaton needs to take a page out of Jackie Joyner-Kersee's playbook and start competing regularly in his two best open events. Surely he would be competive on the Diamond League circuit in the long jump.
                              This is 100% on point. He could break the record every time he competed, but the fact that he is a Decathlete just makes it impossible to be marketable.
                              He can easily become a medalist in the Long Jump if he began to focus on it and really become the face of US Male athletics.

And the fact that he went to Oregon, trains in Eugene and is a Nike athlete makes it even easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X