X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kenyan trials Rudisha 1.42.12

Originally posted by Jackaloupe
    Not only didn't hinder but probably enhanced. Doubell tied the WR.jeremyp

Enhanced? Sounds like you're unfamiliar with the actual effects of altitude: Less gravity, and air resistance, that's it for the positive. No way 800 m is "enhanced", as there's an aerobic phase before they go anaerobic towards the finish. I lived in Puno, Peru (3900 m+), much higher than Nairobi's less than half that, similar to Denver whose "Mile High" altitude is exaggerated in its effect on athletes. Even did a hokey modified Pentathlon (100m in place of 200m), so maybe can claim a World Altitude Record (with lotsa asterisks, starting w/ event composition), so know of what I speak. Besides, this is the first time I've ever seen such an outlandish claim, even if it's conceded that both Lou Jones 1950s PanAm Games 400 m record and Bill Toomey's long-standing Deca record benefitted from altitude--but 400 m is the limit (as regards specific Olympic distances, not counting Indoor ones.
    Nothing outlandish about the original "claim" at all. Mexico City suggests pretty clearly that 400 is not the absolute "limit"--or at least that there is no overall negative effect at 800m. And a handful of us believe that for certain physiological freaks, the actual benefit (or lack of negative effect) MAY extend beyond 800m.

Comment

I guess maybe I should not feel too sorry for a guy who gets to make his living traveling around the world and running the Steeple. But it pains me that Koech is so good year after year on the circuit and then never does well at high altitude in Nairobi.

Comment

I have the feeling that 800 meters is a distance where it depends on the person if the effect of altitude helps or hinders times (unfounded speculation: 800/1500 types might find altitude more helpful than 400/800 types). Also, going too high will definitely slow things down. How high is too high? Everyone might have their own sweet spot.

Comment

Originally posted by AS
          If there is a negative effect, then Rudisha's performance would go close to Performance of the Week (maybe nudged by Eaton 8-) )
          Maybe ? If there is a negative effect at Nairobi's altitude, it's dwarfed by the negative effect caused by the weather in Eugene. As big a Rudisha fan as I am, Eaton's effort is hands down the POY so far.

Comment

Originally posted by berkeley
            Originally posted by AS
            If there is a negative effect, then Rudisha's performance would go close to Performance of the Week (maybe nudged by Eaton 8-) )
            Maybe ? If there is a negative effect at Nairobi's altitude, it's dwarfed by the negative effect caused by the weather in Eugene. As big a Rudisha fan as I am, Eaton's effort is hands down the POY so far.
            800 is the distance where altitude is sometimes neutral on its effect- at 400 altitude is definitely a help; at 1500 it hurts (ask Jim Ryun). At 800 it kind of balances out- but I agree that it might have a different effect on the people running it- 800/1500 types it might hurt; 400/800 types like Juantorena, not so much.
            Kenya doesn't have a lot of 400/800 types, so I'd guess that Nairobi's altitude didn't help Rudisha any, and might have hurt his effort. Hard to guess how much though... maybe .5 or .6 of a second? That would put him around 1:41.6 or 1:41.7 at sea level, but I suspect he's capable of much more if pushed.

As for performance-of-the-week, Eaton was last week... Rudisha this week.
            It's way too early to talk about POY, particularly in an Olympic year. In a year with no Olympics or WC's, then yeah, maybe we could go ahead and toss the laurels Eaton's way. Not this year though. Have to wait and see.

Comment

No question that Eaton's WR is POY to date. Has to be. But I'm sure Rudisha has quite a bit up the sleeve, I'll be surprised if he doesn't have at least two runs faster than his NY 1:41.74. Hopefully quite a lot faster, the sort of time that can challenge Eaton's WR! Awaiting Bolt though, not hard to imagine he'll be approaching 08 & 09 form....

Comment

Originally posted by jlt
                No question that Eaton's WR is POY to date. Has to be. But I'm sure Rudisha has quite a bit up the sleeve, I'll be surprised if he doesn't have at least two runs faster than his NY 1:41.74. Hopefully quite a lot faster, the sort of time that can challenge Eaton's WR! Awaiting Bolt though, not hard to imagine he'll be approaching 08 & 09 form....
                Considering your knowledge and posting history as far as I can remember, that sounds a lot like we are going to see the first sub 1:41 later on this year.

Comment

Working...
                X