Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAST CHANCE MEET FOR OLYMPICS AND W100 TIEBREAKER

How about Stage an Independence Day Last Olympic Qualifier meet on July 4th at Hayward Field. This would give Felix and Tarmoh two full days of rest after the womens 200 final to run their head to head 100 (the feature event of this meet). NBC or NBCS could put this on prime time.

Also, allow events like the mens decathlon and mens hammer (both have 1 empty slot open) and several more events coming..to stage a last chance Olympic qualifier. The Decathlon would start on the 3rd and end on the 4th in the evening (prime time hour). All the entrants that competed in the Trials would be eligibile to compete for the last spot. If more than one make it then OT standings would determine final spot(s).

This would give the decathletes 10 days of rest - not ideal but we dont have much time. Theoretically, we could even push this meet back to the 6th or 7th if sprinters/decathletes need a little more rest. Would still give them about a month before Olympic track begins.

Also, could throw some OT highlights in on the broadcast and perhaps even an interview with Ashton Eaton about his phenomenal WR. The IOC deadline is the July 8th so why not take full advantage of that. Like I mentioned before, this would only be for events that do not have 3 events at the conclusion of the trials! Thoughts?

Re: LAST CHANCE MEET FOR OLYMPICS AND W100 TIEBREAKER

How many Rump OTs do you propose if no one makes the A standard in this one.?

Comment

Not to rain on your parade. But I don't quite think resolving the third slot on the women's 100 meter olympic team is quite Prime Time stuff.

It is to me... but well, I'm on TFN message boards on a Sunday afternoon eagerly awaiting my one hour dose of goodness on NBC later today.

Comment

Originally posted by dbirds
        allow events like the mens decathlon and mens hammer (both have 1 empty slot open) and several more events coming..to stage a last chance Olympic qualifier.
        You haven't been paying attention . . .

Comment

One great change for the Trials has been the demand that A standards be made by the end of the race.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
            One great change for the Trials has been the demand that A standards be made by the end of the race.
            Which is another debate. I actually like the chasing! It makes the time between the OT and OG more suspenseful.

Comment

I don't like chasing.. I was called to conduct a legitimate TJ competition at a "meet" which included only TJ, DT and SP but was designed to meet all officiating, venue and minimum competitor requirements for a qualifying meet.
              None of my TJers made it.. I think a SPer who was on the brink did.. I know all the officials and have no doubt it was an legit competition and throw... but, still, I see the possibility for "home cooking" in such a competition...

Comment

Would have to have honest officials there and no swaying...I just hate to send an Olympic team with empty slots when I feel 2-3 athletes could still make it!

Comment

Why not just look at performances for the year, see who has the best marks?

It's Allyson hands down in that case.

Just my two cents which is twice what it's worth!

Comment

If the athletes knew going in that that would be a tiebreaker, then they may have approached their season preparation differently. I think a runoff is the only fair option - other than maybe some scientific analysis of the result.

Comment

If the athletes knew going in that that would be a tiebreaker, then they may have approached their season preparation differently.
                      Exactly. With existing rules, athletes are supposed to do two things: Get enough to get an A qualifier, and then perform your best at Trials.

Comment

If the athletes knew going in that that would be a tiebreaker, then they may have approached their season preparation differently. I think a runoff is the only fair option - other than maybe some scientific analysis of the result.
                        Really? Someone would really plan on tying for 3rd to the nearest thousandth? Or even care there was a run-off possibility. Seems like trying to prepare to get hit by a meteor.

Comment

How about Stage an Independence Day Last Olympic Qualifier meet on July 4th at Hayward Field. This would give Felix and Tarmoh two full days of rest after the womens 200 final to run their head to head 100 (the feature event of this meet). NBC or NBCS could put this on prime time.

Also, allow events like the mens decathlon and mens hammer (both have 1 empty slot open) and several more events coming..to stage a last chance Olympic qualifier. The Decathlon would start on the 3rd and end on the 4th in the evening (prime time hour). All the entrants that competed in the Trials would be eligibile to compete for the last spot. If more than one make it then OT standings would determine final spot(s).

This would give the decathletes 10 days of rest - not ideal but we dont have much time. Theoretically, we could even push this meet back to the 6th or 7th if sprinters/decathletes need a little more rest. Would still give them about a month before Olympic track begins.

Also, could throw some OT highlights in on the broadcast and perhaps even an interview with Ashton Eaton about his phenomenal WR. The IOC deadline is the July 8th so why not take full advantage of that. Like I mentioned before, this would only be for events that do not have 3 events at the conclusion of the trials! Thoughts?
                          DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!! 8-) What better way to tie up all loose ends than a 4th-of-July cliffhanger? Nice to know what the IOC deadline is, on top of the IAAF deadline (July 9). What is the IAAF deadline for athletes from ALL nations to achieve the A- or B-standards before the Olympics? And what is USATF's excuse to be in such a rush?

Comment

Given it's the 100m and therefore both gals are in the OG team (as relay runners), I presume there is less of rush for declarations of the exact team makeup than there would be if these were SPers or HJers.

Do federations actually have to name specific athletes to the event or just nominate the overall squad?

I seem to recall no shortage of instances where split of Ethiopian/Kenyan 5000m/10000m runners across the squad have been unclear until opening day - but is that a WC thing not OG?

Comment

I think a runoff is the only fair option - other than maybe some scientific analysis of the result.

OK, how's this: Alison Felix hit the Finish Line straight up. If she'd leaned one iota (that's equivalent to 1/1000th of a second;~), she'd have won outright! Or should she be penalized for being clueless about how to run shorter Sprints?

Comment

Working...
                              X