Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??

??
    Last edited by DJG; 11-20-2020, 02:20 PM.

Re: When is the best time for a run-off?

Wait until after the 200. I am not sure if benefits Felix or Tarmoh to be running before the 200 when everyone else is rested.

Comment

Originally posted by fasttrack85
      Wait until after the 200. I am not sure if benefits Felix or Tarmoh to be running before the 200 when everyone else is rested.
      Yep.

Comment

Send Jeter Madison and Knight to London. Do the run off after the Olympics. Whoever wins gets a spot on the Rio team.

Better yet, do the coin flip, who ever wins goes to London, whoever loses goes to Rio

Seems fair to me.

Comment

There's a 5-day gap between the w100 final and the w200 heats. The 200 final is on June 30. They should be given 5 days once more to recover from the 200, which is July 5. The IAAF deadline to submit Olympic rosters is July 9.

Any time between July 4 and July 8 is the most logical time frame to hold the runoff, to satisfy the deadline and prevent the risk of injury to either one or both if USATF demands the runoff be held the day after the 200 final to satisfy the TV execs' lust for blood.

There is no excuse for them not to give these 2 girls a proper rest before the runoff, and elect to hold the runoff after the Trials and before the IAAF deadline.

Comment

I predict that Felix will concede spot to team mate after winning spot in 200. She is a class act and knows her team mate wants it bad.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
              The question should be: when is the best time to hold the Tarmoh-Felix 100m run-off.
              There is no doubt, to me, that a run-off is the only way to decide this tie.

Bobby Keresee, coach of both athletes, wants them to focus on their upcoming 200 m races
              on Thursday, Friday and Sat. One could argue that their 200 focus would be better if the 100
              is settled before the 200 prelims on Thursday.

Tuesday and Wednesday are off days. Both have time to prepare for the 100 run-off on Thursday. Having this settled will enable both to better focus on the 200. A 100m race
              45 min. before the 200 prelims will only help both by ensuring they are warmed-up and ready for their 200 prelims, which I believe both will have no problem advancing to their semi-finals
              on Friday. And both will not have this on their minds for a week or longer, if this is not decided by the end of the US Trials on Sunday.

Therefore, I propose to USATF: Hold the run-off on Thursday and don't let this overshadow
              the rest of the week. Make the decision, hold the run-off, move on.

(Time for the new CEO to show his stuff!)
              DJG, you might want to stick to the relays...that's the worst idea ever.
              Originally posted by DJG
              Proper rest for two women who are going to run 100m is...about 15 to 20 minutes.
              The window for the most logical time for a run-off has slipped through USATF's fingers.
              I take back what I said about sticking to the relays, I now question everything you write. 15-20 minutes is proper rest? I can't believe I'm reading this. Both athletes will already be going to London and USATF doesn't have to make final declarations for another month. They should give the athletes 30 days to resolve this by run off or then they flip a coin. There is absolutely no reason to rush.

Comment

DJG,
                Rest is a concern, and you're right, if there were a policy in place, the race would have happened already, but since it isn't required that they run immediately, why do it? Also, 15 minutes is not enough rest to get levels back to normal. Athletes during that competition phase of training routinely get more rest between reps in practice so yes, I now see your exageration. And, you're right, the longer they wait the less rest they have before the Games, but they're not running a marathon, they're running the 100m - and they're running for a spot on the Olympic Team. This is important and it can and should be set up to yield the most optimal results from both women.

Kersee has said that he has a conflict; that has been admitted.

Again, if I'm Tarmoh, I negotiate with USATF that I run in the relay final more so than trying to run the indy 100; otherwise she will be bumped for Bianca Knight.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
                  Preston, I probably should stick with the relays, but don't think for a second this run-off will have no effect on the relay selection (consolation prize goes to ???).

As for proper rest from a 100m dash of 11seconds....I was exaggerating slightly...I've seen
                  many well-conditioned athletes run the 110/100 hurdles and 10 min later compete in the 100m
                  dash. And do quite well.

I hope you do question everything I write; I was just asking a question to hear what other think. Since USATF is making up procedures after the fact,they should consider all the options.
                  To me, waiting alters the plans both Tarmoh and Felix and their coach have prepare for the time between the Trials and London...and definitely will affect relay practices and meets, as well as, individual practice.
                  Justice delayed is justice denied...Runoff delayed is opportunities denied.

And since rest is a major concern to you, the longer they wait the less they have before the Games.

From Felix's point of view, after her tie for third, she must be questioning her/the decision for the 100/200 double over the 200/400, a good performance in the run-off could provide a little needed boost of confidence. And Kersee has a conflict whether he acknowledges it or not.
                  I'm guessing you haven't heard or read the at least 27 times he has emphatically acknowledged such in the past few days.

Comment

On Sunday before the mens 200.

That would be about a day after the w200 final. I think this needs to be done before the end of the trials. Having a race anytime later is not within the spirit of the original selection process.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
                      Originally posted by asindc
                      Originally posted by DJG
                      Preston, I probably should stick with the relays, but don't think for a second this run-off will have no effect on the relay selection (consolation prize goes to ???).

As for proper rest from a 100m dash of 11seconds....I was exaggerating slightly...I've seen
                      many well-conditioned athletes run the 110/100 hurdles and 10 min later compete in the 100m
                      dash. And do quite well.

I hope you do question everything I write; I was just asking a question to hear what other think. Since USATF is making up procedures after the fact,they should consider all the options.
                      To me, waiting alters the plans both Tarmoh and Felix and their coach have prepare for the time between the Trials and London...and definitely will affect relay practices and meets, as well as, individual practice.
                      Justice delayed is justice denied...Runoff delayed is opportunities denied.

And since rest is a major concern to you, the longer they wait the less they have before the Games.

From Felix's point of view, after her tie for third, she must be questioning her/the decision for the 100/200 double over the 200/400, a good performance in the run-off could provide a little needed boost of confidence. And Kersee has a conflict whether he acknowledges it or not.
                      I'm guessing you haven't heard or read the at least 27 times he has emphatically acknowledged such in the past few days.
                      Thanks. But his conflict doesn't entail not having a say in how the tie should be settled.

While saying so he has also said he has no role in the matter, and doesn't want one. Think about it: Why would he risk alienating either of his athletes? Other athletes are watching this closely, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic
                        On Sunday before the mens 200.

That would be about a day after the w200 final. I think this needs to be done before the end of the trials. Having a race anytime later is not within the spirit of the original selection process.
                        Totally Irrelevant. The deadline to submit their final roster to the IOC/IAAF is what matters, and they have more than enough time between the end of the Trials and the deadline to hold the runoff, and therefore, time enough to let the girls recuperate and readjust for the runoff, rather than rush the process and risk injury to one or both.

If I'm not mistaken, anyone can be knocked off or replaced at any time between now and the IOC deadline (which is July 8) or the IAAF deadline (July 9) for any legitimate reason, be it sickness, injury or drugs. In addition, if I'm not mistaken, only for those reasons can the roster be changed after the deadline. Since they have until July 9 to submit their final roster, they have until the day before to hold the runoff.

If I'm not mistaken, Andrei Silnov finished 4th in the 2008 Russian Trials HJ, then popped a 2.38 presumably before the IAAF/IOC deadline, and by their rules bumped their worst guy off the team. He went on to win the gold.

It is unnecessary to hold the runoff before the end of the Trials. There is no legitimate reason not to give the girls a proper rest after the 200 to settle this. What if there's a dead heat for 3rd in the 5,000 or 10,000, and both athletes refuse to submit to the farce of a coin toss and settle it? Certainly, I wouldn't want my 6 miles go to waste on a coin toss. And by the way, this is the kind of event you can't allow 2 athletes to run alone.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta
                          And by the way, this is the kind of event you can't allow 2 athletes to run alone.
                          This is the kind of situation where you HAVE to allow the 2 athletes to run alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                            Originally posted by CookyMonzta
                            And by the way, this is the kind of event you can't allow 2 athletes to run alone.
                            This is the kind of situation where you HAVE to allow the 2 athletes to run alone.
                            Why is involving other athletes even part of the discussion? That would be like inviting foreign athletes to the Trials to make it more reflect the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                              I predict that Felix will concede spot to team mate after winning spot in 200. She is a class act and knows her team mate wants it bad.
                              My thoughts exactly. I've never thought she actually wants to run the 100m and certainly can't imagine her insisting on doing so in these circumstances.

If she does I don't know what the hurry to sort this out is. You lot are getting your knickers in a twist about the timing and blaming USATF for not having staged a run off yet but I'd guess that neither woman has any intention of doing so until after the 200m at the very earliest.

Comment

Working...
                              X