Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessica Ennis and a World Heptathlon Record at the Olympics

Just for fun I been calculating what Jessica Ennis needs to do in order to break the world record in the heptathlon. I chose three events for the calculation, which are the javelin throw, the long jump, and the shot put. In the javelin throw, assuming that she equals her personal bests in the other events, she would need a throw of 59.13 meters in order to get the world record. Likewise, assuming the equalling of personal bests in the other events, she would need a long jump of 7.21 meters. And likewise for the shot put, all the other events equalling her personal bests, she would need a throw of 18.00 meters. I wouldn't say it is impossible for her to do these scores at the 2012 Olympics but I would say that the chances of her getting a world record is slim at best. However, her chances of getting the world record could improve if she goes for broke in at least one field event, perhaps the javelin throw, by doing something unorthodox but legal according to the rules.

Re: Jessica Ennis and a World Heptathlon Record at the Olymp

Originally posted by ralmcg
    However, her chances of getting the world record could improve if she goes for broke in at least one field event, perhaps the javelin throw, by doing something unorthodox but legal according to the rules.
    Short of attaching a jet engine to the javelin, I don't see anything she could do to throw 59 meters.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Just for fun I been calculating what Jessica Ennis needs to do in order to break the world record in the heptathlon. I chose three events for the calculation, which are the javelin throw, the long jump, and the shot put. In the javelin throw, assuming that she equals her personal bests in the other events, she would need a throw of 59.13 meters in order to get the world record. Likewise, assuming the equalling of personal bests in the other events, she would need a long jump of 7.21 meters. And likewise for the shot put, all the other events equalling her personal bests, she would need a throw of 18.00 meters. I wouldn't say it is impossible for her to do these scores at the 2012 Olympics but I would say that the chances of her getting a world record is slim at best. However, her chances of getting the world record could improve if she goes for broke in at least one field event, perhaps the javelin throw, by doing something unorthodox but legal according to the rules.
      This is one of the stupidest posts i have ever read :?
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

What, like putting beer on her hands for a better grip, as someone allegedly did at the Goodwill Games one year? :P

Note the javelin specification has changed twice since the record was set back in 1988, so it really shouldn't be the WR anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella
          What, like putting beer on her hands for a better grip, as someone allegedly did at the Goodwill Games one year? :P

Note the javelin specification has changed twice since the record was set back in 1988, so it really shouldn't be the WR anymore.
          I know that the present women's javelin specification was introduced in about 1998 but when was the other change since the 1988 Summer Olympics.

Comment

I know that the present women's javelin specification was introduced in about 1998 but when was the other change since the 1988 Summer Olympics.
            It first chaged in April 1991. It was approved in 1989 and officially implemented two years later. The change was to the diameter of the javelin; the rear end was thickened. This led to a slight increase in % of legal throws, but the distance suffered.
            The next official changes was in April 1999, where the centre of gravity was brought forward by 3cm, also reducing the distance.

Comment

Does that actually help at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                Does that actually help at all?
                Ha, who knows!

If JJK's performances were made with the existing model of javelin, then it makes quite a difference to her final score. The trial studies averaged 10% less in distance, which impacts some of her top marks by nearly 100pts:
                Scores
                Old model/New model

Still amazing scores, but it doesn't make Kluft's 7032 look as far behind now, and who knows, if those 'new model marks' were in the official lists, maybe Kluft would have been chasing the 3rd best score ever, not 7007, as Turchinskaya's mark drops to 6902.

Alternatively, adjust Kluft's mark as if it were the old javelin, and her 7032 score goes up to 7125. Her 7001 score goes up to 7098 and her 6952 score goes up to 7046.

Of course, this is all speculation, but it just illustrates that, while we know heptathlon scoring is unfairly biased towards running/jumping events, it also shows any scores with old javelin models have a big advantage.

Comment

Its just rediculous, however it will be interesting to see how close she can get to 7000 points - slight improvements in each event and a 1.95m high jump she could definately go over 7000 points!

Comment

Originally posted by liuxuan
                    slight improvements in each event and a 1.95m high jump she could definately go over 7000 points!
                    Easier said than done. And I'm not convinced she has more 1.95 jumps left in her.
                    I still say Chernova is the one with more upside, and is more likely to go over 7000. Having said that, her performances are also a lot more erratic than Ennis's, so I'm not saying she's favored to win in London.

Comment

I have to say I generally vuew Kluft's mark as the 'real' WR, given the changes in spec to the javelin.

7000 is theoretically possible for Ennis. It's my opinion that she'll have to break her UK record to beat Chernova in London.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
                        I have to say I generally vuew Kluft's mark as the 'real' WR, given the changes in spec to the javelin.

7000 is theoretically possible for Ennis. It's my opinion that she'll have to break her UK record to beat Chernova in London.
                        I don't agree that Kluft's mark is the "real" WR because of the change of specifications. In the 1988 Summer Olympics Jackie Joyner-Kersee, on route to the world record, managed to only throw 45.66 meters, even though it was with the old javelin specification. By comparison Jessica Ennis's best throw, with the present specification, is 47.11 meters and Tatyana Chernova's is 54.49 meters. If there is a cause as to Jackie Joyner-Kersee's high scores it is more likely to be her long jumps, which are very high, sometimes above 7 meters.

Comment

Working...
                        X