Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"WGA" Title - Olympic Champ or WR Holder?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbirds
    replied
    Re: "WGA" Title - Olympic Champ or WR Holder?

He's an all-time great athlete but to be an all-time great decathlete or an all-time elite athlete, he needs some titles!

Leave a comment:

• DrGo
    replied

Decathlete champion can hold the title of world's greatest athlete. Just like Bolt is world's fastest man. Rezazedeh (of whomever is weightlifting champ now) deserves world's strongest man.

But putting Eaton as an all-time great athlete is absurd.

Leave a comment:

• dbirds
    replied

So Jurgen Schult is worlds greatest discus thrower? I think WR holder can lay claim until next Olympic champ is crowned!

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied

Originally posted by lonewolf
    Originally posted by ATK
    Well wouldn't it work like the 100m dash. The Olympic champion is technically not the worlds fastest man. The world record holder is.
    "World's Fastest At The Moment"
    If that's the case everything is "at the moment"...

Leave a comment:

• ExCoastRanger
    replied

If you're going to be called World's Greatest Athlete, seems like you better be WR holder, Olympic champ -- and some other stuff too.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

Originally posted by ATK
    Well wouldn't it work like the 100m dash. The Olympic champion is technically not the worlds fastest man. The world record holder is.
    "World's Fastest At The Moment"

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Re: WGA Title - Olympic Champ or WR Holder?

Originally posted by gh
    There was a time when the two terms were largely one and the same. An athlete trained his balls off for four years, set the WR at the OG, then retired.

As for now, the title probably rightfully belongs to..... LeBron James :twisted:
    Nope, lets not mix apples and pomegranets..

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

There was a time when the two terms were largely one and the same. An athlete trained his balls off for four years, set the WR at the OG, then retired.

As for now, the title probably rightfully belongs to..... LeBron James :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

I don't think there is any entity empowered to bestow the title "World's Greatest Athlete." If there is, who appointed them?
    Actually, there can be two WGAs: the decathlon WR holder and the current OG/WC dec champion, unless they happen to be the same person.

Leave a comment:

• Grasshopper
    started a topic "WGA" Title - Olympic Champ or WR Holder?

"WGA" Title - Olympic Champ or WR Holder?

Apparently, the guys on ESPN made the statement that Ashton Eaton is now the "World's Greatest Athlete" (I don't know the exact quote or who said it, though). I don't know whether or not they mentioned Bryan Clay in their conversation, but someone that was watching took them at their word and felt the need to post this on Clay's Facebook fan page:
    "Bryan Clay is no longer "Greatest Athlete" Mr. Aston broke the world record this past week in the Decathlon in Oregon." (https://www.facebook.com/BryanClay/p...t_id=33901781)
    Some of Clay's friends/fans have responded to defend his ceremonial claim to the title (which I would agree with), but I was just curious to see what the opinions would be of the knowledgable posters on this board. Do you think the title of "World's Greatest Athlete" belongs to ANY Olympic decathlon champion (Jenner's website still uses the title for him), the reigning Olympic decathlon champion, or the current World Record holder?
Working...
X