Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 10's 1500: A Sit-And-Kick Fan's Delight

Correspondent Don Kopriva sheds some light on the inability of the Big 10 guys to break 4:00... for 1500m!

After a truly turtly early pace (like 70 and 73 for first two laps) the boys let it all hang out, with Jefferson finishing in 51.3 and Spiker in 51.8. Just imagine how fast they'll run when they learn to do that off a 60-second pace :-)

Re: Big 10's 1500: A Sit-And-Kick Fan's Delight

I wondered just HOW slowly they had gone out!

Reminds me of Abdi Bile:s 1.49 closing 800m in the 1987 Rome World Championships.

Comment

>I wondered just HOW slowly they had gone out!

Reminds me of Abdi Bile:s 1.49
      >closing 800m in the 1987 Rome World Championships.

I thought it was even faster than that, just going by memory.

Comment

I don:t want to go down to the basement to dig that one out... it:s dark and cold down there! Seems to me, actually, it may have been 1.46 -- I just don:t remember off the top of my head. In either case, athletes can kick at some really slow paces, yet rarely close in 49-point ... I can imagine the list is a short one of those who have been able to run 49,xx on their last lap in any open race.

Comment

epelle I like you am remembering 1:46. I just wrote myself a note to look it up when I get home, unless someone here beats me to it.

Comment

Finally, here is one I can help out with. Bile's final 800 was 1:46.0 according to the bible of the sport. As a former 800 guy, I wondered how few people in the world could be waiting for Bile at the 800 to go mark and make a race of it.

Comment

Morceli ran 1.48,80 at the 1996 Olympic Final:

Splits from start FAT 61,03 2.01,63 (60,6) 2.55,12 (54,49) 3.35,78 (40,66) from finish 27,6 25,9 (53,5) 26,9 (1.20,5) 28,3 (1.48,8).

Thanks for the 1.46 details...appreciate it.

Small details:

While we will never know what might have transpired over the last 400 meters, Morceli's easing-up last lap of 53,5 gave every indication that he would have been extremely hard to beat.

Morceli admitted that the win was his only concern,"I wanted to run a tactical race, to save energy and finish with a very strong last lap. If I was challenged that final 200 would have been 25 instead of 27. I was ready to run 1.46 off that pace."

http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/tetreaul/ ... tnett.html

I am off subject (Big 10s), but a slow, tactical race with such a finish will never help a guy like Lagat, as his PR is 1.46, and he seems to run right at 1.46 in all his open, all-out 800m races.

Comment

You mean sit-and-kick fans exist? I've never heard anyone admit to being one.
                "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

I'm a huge one!

Cacho's 50.5 to close out a 3:40 in Barcelona was one of the most exciting Olympic 1500s I've ever seen. And though I got pounded on the Darkwing board for saying so at the time, watching Rui Silva run 53.1 indoors to finish off a 3:50 (1500, not mile!) at the '01 World Indoor Champs was one of the best races I've ever seen.

Running to WIN is what's important, not running just to run fast. The two most popular events which involving going around in circles are motor racing and the ponies. While the latter also has the gambling component, neither is particularly concerned with time.

Comment

I am still awaiting the day someone dips under 50,00 on their last lap -- that would be exciting!

Comment

Off subject - sort of, as he was a Big-10er:

Webb:s 2.14-1.52 [66/68/55/57] (4.06,74) negative-split 1,600m back in high school at the Concorde District Championships.

Comment

>You mean sit-and-kick fans exist? I've never heard anyone admit to being one.>>>

Count me in. I can't stand paced processions, there's nothing more exciting than last lap kicks imho.

Comment

rant mode on
                          I can't stand sit and kick races UGH!!!!. I hated Cacho so much until he ran that very fast time. The race is 1500 not 600, 400, or 200 DAMMIT!! rant mode off.

PS I like racing to win (if done quickly)
                          why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

>rant mode on
                            I can't stand sit and kick races UGH!!!!. I hated Cacho so much
                            >until he ran that very fast time. The race is 1500 not 600, 400, or 200
                            >DAMMIT!! rant mode off.

What on earth did Cacho do wrong? It befuddles me how people don't respect someone who plays to his or her own strengths. Cacho must go down as one of the best racers, off a variety of paces, in recent years. Don't forget his silver in Atlanta was in a significantly faster race than Barcelona. On a side note, does anyone think things would have been awfully "interesting" had Cacho not had to hurdle a falling ElG in Atlanta? I don't think ElG falling was Morceli's biggest break -- Cacho getting caught up in it was.

Comment

Looked to me like Cacho ran the full 1500 meters. He just ran some part of it slower than others. Sounds to me like the only way you would really be happy is for him to go out in 11.0, 24.0 and then try to hang on for the next 1300 meters.

Comment

Working...
                              X